Stan Petrov

LondonLax

35 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

This is exactly what I mean. I want to get promoted. This club is bigger than any one man, and the longer we stay in this division, the more difficult it becomes to get out of it, and the further away from us even average Premier League teams get.

Yes I get all that, and I want the same but you're missing my point.

Do I think stan is the best option to get promoted - no.

Do I think the shower of shite from last season is good enough - no.

Would I prefer stan to some other clown who won't give his all - most certainly.

That's where I am right now....

Now, I do believe that by the time the season comes we will be in a much stronger place player wise. Will I want stan to start.... probably not. 

• Like 1

As long as the other 24 players on the squad are of high (ish) quality I'd be more than fine to have Stan as #25.

But I hope no one is expecting Aston Villa to have a successful season while at the same time having Stan playing a big role on the field. Because I don't see those 2 things being possible at the same time.

I think he can play a big role in and around the team as a talisman and inspiration thou, but as a player it would be an amazing feat if he played even a bit part role considering the circumstances.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

1) Is he actually overweight? Can somebody prove this either way, because it seems incomprehensible to me that he would come all this way and stop 15lbs short of where he needs to be. 

2) Either way, were not going into the season yet. 4 weeks to go. 

He looks overweight. 

My opinion is that forget Petrov suffered from leukemia, forget Petrov has not played competitive football for 4 years, forget Petrov is looking overweight, I still wouldn't feel comfortable going into a 46 game season with a 37 year old as a first team player. When you add all those other factors, it would be very naive of us to expect that from Petrov. 

• Like 2

Stan Petrov is tanned and toned just like when he was in his prime at Celtic

I swear some people with this nonsense again, the photo on the left was taken on the 28th of May (He will have improved since then), the match photo in question was from an unflattering angle whilst in movement, IT happens. It's actually the same thing which happened to another player which alot of you love to hate. They are professional football players, they get one bad photo and everyone just runs with they are overweight or a fat bastard, because the truth is not as exciting as the facts on the internet or in a forum.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Richard said:

I'd hope we could do better. Brilliant for him his recovery etc inspirational . But I'm sorry I want us to sign players better than a 37 year old who retired a few years ago . 

I'd like to think we could assemble a squad with at least 15 better outfield players than him. In a squad of 25 players though over 21 years old of which 23 would be outfield players I think Stain is capable of being good enough and I am not sure we can do better.

I'd hazard a guess in your average squad of players around 8 will play 30 games +, another 5 will will play 20 games+, another 5 15 games+ and then a handful of players will get a handful of games.

The Championship has always been littered with players of 35 plus still getting game time. Off the top of my head Heskey, Clint Hill, Michael Duff, Ian Harte, Paul Robinson, Scott Parker, Eiduer Gudjohnson were all over 35, some well over, and still playing in the Championship last season. Now you can argue that none have been through what Stan has but the simple riposte to that is I doubt any player be they 17 or 37 would have anything like Stans heart and desire.

If the guy proves he is fit enough over the pre season, as he will have to otherwise they may as well have just given him a contract, then he will have earned his place in the squad. If that ultimately leads to him featuring in a handful of games then so be it he will be in the company of tens of other players in the Championship next season. He will stand alone though in terms of how much he will be able to inspire the other players in our squad.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

It's quite simple, if he's good enough to be a part of the squad then he will be in the squad, presumably on merit. It's still July so plenty of time to shed some extra pounds, he has less of a gut than Gabby did last season so hardly the end of the world. People are overreacting by questioning his involvement with the squad.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

RDM and his staff wouldnt let Stan join the training if was not fit enough. He has been training with U21 since april, so I so I am sure they know his status before he joined. No coach want players in training that cant keep up. As we can see on @jamaicanvillans pic he looks very fit. I am confident that the staff who follow him everyday is good judges 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richard said:

In terms of not being allowed to express an opinion questioning it for fear of provoking an angry mob insulting and crying foul 

So absolutely nothing like the immigration debate whatsoever then. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

1) Is he actually overweight? Can somebody prove this either way, because it seems incomprehensible to me that he would come all this way and stop 15lbs short of where he needs to be. 

From the pictures of the game, which is all I have to go on, he looks SLIGHTLY overweight to me. 

However, that doesn't mean he'll be overweight by the time the season starts. He could easily shed 8-10lbs before then. Secondly, appearing slightly overweight doesn't mean he's not fit enough to play. 

• Like 1

Â