Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

So if I drive at 150mph on the motorway because the 70mph is bullshit, is it an over reaction to give me a fine or ban me from driving?

Because that's what it seems you are saying

It shouldn't seem like that, they'll be fined or have an transfer embargo or both or suffer a points deduction next season and that's fair enough. But the level of outrage is something like you'd expect if they were found to have bribed refs or bought off opposition players. I don't think its as severe an infringement as people are making out. 

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, villa89 said:

But the level of outrage is something like you'd expect if they were found to have bribed refs or bought off opposition players. I don't think its as severe an infringement as people are making out. 

The essentially bought off players like Milner, Delph, Grealish, Barry, because they inflated their income.

So it's exactly what they did. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Accusations of Klopp's Liverpool team taking that has been rife amongst rival fans for years, questioning how they can have such high energy levels for 90 minutes across multiple seasons.

Lance Armstrong FC

• Like 1

just to flip the script/ narrative a little, would it be fair to say that,  in respect to transfer fees paid out,  Villa are the English club that have benefitted most from City's corruption? Arsenal have also made out pretty well over the years I imagine

5 hours ago, duke313 said:

Lance Armstrong FC

During the lockdown season when Liverpool were so off rival fans forums were full of 'haha the puffers not working eh Klopp' and the like.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

The industrial level financial doping not only brought trophies - it brought income they wouldn’t otherwise get and allows them to pay obscene wages to players not even in their first XI. None of that would be possible without how they cheated their way to the top. They use that financial clout to now to ensure they ring fence talent far beyond what other clubs could pay. How many clubs could afford the wages given to Haaland, KDB, Grealish and Stones? Even now, I’d have serious reservations about what they are actually being paid. Hence why City is refusing to comply. They are hostile witnesses in all of this. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It shouldn't seem like that, they'll be fined or have an transfer embargo or both or suffer a points deduction next season and that's fair enough. But the level of outrage is something like you'd expect if they were found to have bribed refs or bought off opposition players. I don't think its as severe an infringement as people are making out. 

You must be on a wind up here. Surely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

You keep talking about “the level of outrage”…are people supposed to be just a little bit upset that another team in the division has cheated for over a decade, pillaged other clubs of their best players and then refused to comply with the investigation? Doesn’t it make you angry at all?

This is the reason why we have such a **** country. People who just accept corruption and wrongdoing…compliant, forelock tuggers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

just to flip the script/ narrative a little, would it be fair to say that,  in respect to transfer fees paid out,  Villa are the English club that have benefitted most from City's corruption? Arsenal have also made out pretty well over the years I imagine

Not really. Destabilising if anything.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Not really. Destabilising if anything.

This. Let’s not forget that business with Fibian wealth. City just couldn’t take no for an answer and threw all that dirty cash around and the destabilising effect (coupled with the admittedly shocking reinvestment) sent us down.

• Like 1

The more I think about this whole thing the more it bothers me, it's difficult to grasp the sheer scale of damage that has been done. It's not just the trophies they've won, the players they've stolen, but they've also inflated the market, both fees and wages, they were already rising and would always have continued to rise, but their spending has undoubtedly contributed in a sharp increase in both. Every club in Europe has had to pay more to keep up with them, and of course that means a knock on effect further down the pyramid as well.

I don't have much expectation that the punishment will be as severe as it should be, money talks after all, but I do hope that this becomes a sliding doors moment, where the powers that be realise that something has to change and meaningful changes are made.

I don't know the best way forward, what regulations would work, what model might be achievable, but I do think this proves it's time to start having that discussion, before the game we all love turns in to something we can't stomach. 

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

The more I think about this whole thing the more it bothers me, it's difficult to grasp the sheer scale of damage that has been done. It's not just the trophies they've won, the players they've stolen, but they've also inflated the market, both fees and wages, they were already rising and would always have continued to rise, but their spending has undoubtedly contributed in a sharp increase in both. Every club in Europe has had to pay more to keep up with them, and of course that means a knock on effect further down the pyramid as well.

I don't have much expectation that the punishment will be as sever as it should be, money talks after all, but I do hope that this becomes a sliding doors moment, where the powers that be realise that something has to change and meaningful changes are made.

I don't know the best way forward, what regulations would work, what model might be achievable, but I do think this proves it's time to start having that discussion, before the game we all love turns in to something we can't stomach. 

I think that horse may well of altered bolted mate, sadly 

• Sad 1

Any chance Chelsea's crazy spending was in anticipation of some new restrictions coming along in the near future?

Probably not related, I don't see that they'd know this Man City stuff was in the works, but the timing is certainly coincidental.

I suspect “Champions of Europe” will get a heartfelt airing at the weekend. 
They’ve unfairly and unjustly taken a seat at the top table, artificially inflated their league and cup wins tally and lorded it over far more historic and worthy teams for over a decade, taking players at will. I’m getting more worked up about it the more I think about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Any chance Chelsea's crazy spending was in anticipation of some new restrictions coming along in the near future?

Probably not related, I don't see that they'd know this Man City stuff was in the works, but the timing is certainly coincidental.

Chelsea spotted a loophole with the lengthy contracts, that loophole will be closed as a result.

• Like 1

Â