Straight choice - Ellis or Lerner?

Risso

Who do you prefer?  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer?

• Doug Ellis
    • Randy Lerner

Another thought.

When Lerner sells up do you think he will have anything to do with Villa ever again?

I've been impressed at how Dougie turns up to to so many games. Maybe he really does love the Villa after all.

OK, maybe he believes he's still running the club and this is just deluded behaviour but it says something about him.

Lerner is the better owner I guess simply because he has enough cash to keep us in the premiership.

He has absolutely no idea how to run a football club though which shows with his monumental failures with the Browns. He doesnt show up for games and like somebody else said, he has appointed the worst manager certainly in my lifetime.

I've voted Lerner simply because I think with Doug at the helm we would be in the first Division. Lerner has enough of Daddy cash to keep us afloat for now. We will never see success though under him. He simply hasnt got a clue how to run this club.

Ellis

he would have fired McLeish by now , even if he was like a son to him

Lerner I want out the club and that is an emotion Ellis never provoked in me ..I was always more in the meh camp towards Ellis and didn't care either way

oh god years of protesting to get ellis out and now people want him back ...well for **** sake

I don’t think anyone wants Ellis back, as wanting McLeish out wouldn’t necessarily mean that we would want Brian Little or John Gregory back.

I think people might feel nostalgia for the era of Ellis rather than the reign of Ellis. That we played some nice football under Ellis and won some trophies, does not necessarily mean we think he was completely responsible for it.

We know that Ellis ran Villa for his own benefit. Its hard to know what Lerner’s motivation is actually like.

In the end the fact that Lerner wasn’t and isn’t Ellis has perhaps allowed him a free pass. That time is now over, and we are in a shambles. It feels like O’Leary’s final season and I wonder what the future holds.

I'd take Little or Gregory in a heartbeat right now.

We are at our worst point under Randy Lerner and still have a squad comfortably capable of finishing 7th in the Premier League. A really bad appointment but as Bickster says, I don't think we'd even be in the division under Ellis. A couple poor years, (9th place counting as poor) doesn't discount many very good and exciting years with some great players which Ellis wouldn't have been able to fund.

I still think long term Lerner will be fine, financially I think we'll see investment in the future, I only worry about managerial appointments but hopefully will soon get it right.

It's amazing what a bad period can do to some peoples memories.

If Doug had stayed there is absolutely no doubt that we would of been relegated in 06/07 season. (I know Doug appointed MON, but do you really think he would of come if the takeover hadn't been a cert).

Lerner came in and did a lot for the club, kept with tradition and even revived some that had been previously ignored. He invested a great deal into the club and playing staff and really gave it a shot at champions league.

Unfortunately we failed and it was unsustainable especially with changing circumstances, (Man City, FFP, MON's 10 or so high earners with about 12 appearances between them).

The cutbacks are understandable to a degree, the AM appointment however was not.

Still, Lerner trumps Herbert every day of the week.

I wanted Ellis gone he was holding us back IMO but we arguably achieved more as a club under him despite having significant less funding.

I think it's fair to say though that this was during a time when it was possible to get success with significantly less funding - as the game changed, Doug became less and less successful and it's changed more since he left - if he'd stayed I genuinely wonder where we'd be, which division and whether we'd even still be in existence.

I wonder what division we'd be in now if Ellis was still in charge?

We'd have been relegated for sure the very next season had Ellis still been in charge. Here endeth the reality check.

absolutely. i think we would be a championship side by now if lerner never came in

would never want ellis back.

I wanted Ellis gone he was holding us back IMO but we arguably achieved more as a club under him despite having significant less funding.

I think it's fair to say though that this was during a time when it was possible to get success with significantly less funding - as the game changed, Doug became less and less successful and it's changed more since he left - if he'd stayed I genuinely wonder where we'd be, which division and whether we'd even still be in existence.

Nah, we'd still exist, one thing Doug do was keep us financially stable. I'd say we would of gone down in 2007 and now we'd be a yo-yo team like the rest of the West Midlands clubs.

Ellis would have taken us down. But I would suspect that we would have come straight back up, not that its a consolation.

I am not sure if Lerner took us down, he would have a clue how to take us back up.

No one wants Ellis back. Rather Lerner has shown to have feet of clay

Randy has had a few years without close inspection, now when the real tests come about, neither Lerner nor Faulkner are up to the job.

I wonder what division we'd be in now if Ellis was still in charge?

We'd have been relegated for sure the very next season had Ellis still been in charge. Here endeth the reality check.

But I think the question is "who would you want now?"

Randy and his pathetic board who haven't got a clue about "soccer" and AREN'T spending his daddy's money anyway OR Ellis who would revel in the FFP world where you can't spend more money than the club generates.

We needed Randy's cash in the MON era to turn the club around and compete with other spenders but no-one is doing this now and nor will they be able to going forward for the most part. Now it is about managing what you have and developing your own. I am not sure anyone is going to be able to pay a transfer fee going forward other than the seriously big clubs which make profits i.e. Man U, Arsenal, Bayern.

Ellis is by no means perfect but of the two he is the one that understands football a lot more.

It depends where Lerner takes us from here. I don't think it's as cut and dried as some have said. Ellis's football knowledge with Lerner's money would be the perfect marrage.

I will say this, through all Ellis's bull shit, he never stuck two fingers up to the fans like Lerner did this summer.

Â