Straight choice - Ellis or Lerner?

Risso

Who do you prefer?  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer?

• Doug Ellis
    • Randy Lerner

At this point in time 6 votes to 28 in favour of Lerner. It hints at what I suspect, the same few posters are having a go at Lerner all the time, just completely spamming the boards.

I think most people are reasonable and know there are areas to improve, but Lerner is not a bad owner. Most people realise a rich sheikh is a pipe dream and the club must be run sustainably.

Everybody was being reasonable until you showed up. Who at all has mentioned sheikhs? And it's only your opinion that Lerner isn't a bad owner. Just about everything he's done in the past two and a bit years points to the fact that he is. Huge losses, woeful managerial choices, getting his henchmen to lie to the fans, selling the best players, not replacing them, paying millions in compensation for said woeful managers. At the end of the day, he owns two sports teams on two different continents, both of whom are doing badly, and the common denominator is Lerner.

Yeah yeah, you can post the same old stuff over and over, we know what you think already! I think most would agree you're being unreasonably unfair on Lerner. To cherry pick the best few years of a long Ellis chairmanship and ignore the terrible mistakes, whilst giving a terrible one sided synopsis on Lerner's time here is unfair and unreasonable.

At this point in time 6 votes to 28 in favour of Lerner. It hints at what I suspect, the same few posters are having a go at Lerner all the time, just completely spamming the boards.

I think most people are reasonable and know there are areas to improve, but Lerner is not a bad owner. Most people realise a rich sheikh is a pipe dream and the club must be run sustainably.

Everybody was being reasonable until you showed up. Who at all has mentioned sheikhs? And it's only your opinion that Lerner isn't a bad owner. Just about everything he's done in the past two and a bit years points to the fact that he is. Huge losses, woeful managerial choices, getting his henchmen to lie to the fans, selling the best players, not replacing them, paying millions in compensation for said woeful managers. At the end of the day, he owns two sports teams on two different continents, both of whom are doing badly, and the common denominator is Lerner.

Yeah yeah, you can post the same old stuff over and over, we know what you think already! I think most would agree you're being unreasonably unfair on Lerner. To cherry pick the best few years of a long Ellis chairmanship and ignore the terrible mistakes, whilst giving a terrible one sided synopsis on Lerner's time here is unfair and unreasonable.

I haven't cherry picked anything. If you read my posts again I fully admit that Ellis was a long way from being the perfect owner. But I enjoyed the best bits under Ellis's era a lot more than I've enjoyed anything served up by Lerner. And if you don't want to read people's views on the same Villa topics, might I suggest trying a kayaking or crochet forum?

I haven't cherry picked anything. If you read my posts again I fully admit that Ellis was a long way from being the perfect owner. But I enjoyed the best bits under Ellis's era a lot more than I've enjoyed anything served up by Lerner. And if you don't want to read people's views on the same Villa topics, might I suggest trying a kayaking or crochet forum?

Cherry picking is exactly what you've been doing. How about patience? Ellis' first five years were much worse by all accounts.

oh god years of protesting to get ellis out and now people want him back ...well for **** sake

I don’t think anyone wants Ellis back, as wanting McLeish out wouldn’t necessarily mean that we would want Brian Little or John Gregory back.

I think people might feel nostalgia for the era of Ellis rather than the reign of Ellis. That we played some nice football under Ellis and won some trophies, does not necessarily mean we think he was completely responsible for it.

We know that Ellis ran Villa for his own benefit. Its hard to know what Lerner’s motivation is actually like.

In the end the fact that Lerner wasn’t and isn’t Ellis has perhaps allowed him a free pass. That time is now over, and we are in a shambles. It feels like O’Leary’s final season and I wonder what the future holds.

oh god years of protesting to get ellis out and now people want him back ...well for **** sake

I don’t think anyone wants Ellis back, as wanting McLeish out wouldn’t necessarily mean that we would want Brian Little or John Gregory back.

I think people might feel nostalgia for the era of Ellis rather than the reign of Ellis. That we played some nice football under Ellis and won some trophies, does not necessarily mean we think he was completely responsible for it.

We know that Ellis ran Villa for his own benefit. Its hard to know what Lerner’s motivation is actually like.

In the end the fact that Lerner wasn’t and isn’t Ellis has perhaps allowed him a free pass. That time is now over, and we are in a shambles. It feels like O’Leary’s final season and I wonder what the future holds.

Spot on Paul, as ever.

If we look back at the Premier League years, when big money started coming into the game, then we have had 14 years under Ellis, 1 under Ellis/Lerner and coming up on 5 under Lerner.

In the 14 years under Ellis we won two trophies, finished 2nd, finished 4th and had 5 other top 6 finishes.

In the 5 years solely under Lerner we will have won **** all and finished in the top 6 three times.

Who knows what the future will hold but if Lerner stays hear another 9 years ( matching Ellis's total of 14 years as owner in Prem League ) and in those 9 years we win two trophies, finish 2nd, finish 4th and finish top 6 on another two occasions I'll be very surprised and well pleased.

QPR finished top out of the London teams in the early Premiership. Football has changed so much in the 20 years that comparisons between now and then are redundant. The CL will continue to widen the gap between the haves and the have nots.

Lerner. In the first three years I was full of hope excitement and a sense of future that had never been experienced before under Ellis. Whilst there had been some good years in my supporting range ( from 95 onwards ), there was also lots of bullshit. Randy did come in, put in investment, made an effort to respect the club, and bring some refurbishment to surrounding areas - and ok fair enough people will say the team should always come first, but it does still strike me as someone who cares. He's also got a little more humility than DE which I value. 18 months of poor decisions are a big blot, but they are reversible.

If Ellis had Lerners cash spend over the past five years we wouldn't have been cutting back on wages, OK the Holte pub would have fallen down but IMO we would have acheived CL football for at least one season! He was a selfish old bugger but he knew football inside out!

Randy's shine has faded over the past couple of years and I did not see that coming before MON's departure. But my vote was not anywhere near being cast for the man whose name is written large on the Scottish Stand.

Its Lerner for me.

Doug was old school, he had his heart in the right place as far as Villa was concerned but 25 years under one man was far too long. Times moved on and we needed the change that Randy Lerner has brought to drag our club kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Not entirely convinced on where we are headed right now either, short or long term but I'm along for the ride anyway

Â