Straight choice - Ellis or Lerner?

Risso

Who do you prefer?  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer?

• Doug Ellis
    • Randy Lerner

As far as I'm concerned Lerner has made only one mistake (albeit a fairly big one) which I fully expect him to rectify in the summer.

Unless I'm mistaken didn't Ellis have all pictures of 1982 removed from Villa Park as he was not part of it.

Says it all.

Disrespecting the clubs history is bad but it doesn't really effect what matters in the present day.

Lerner respects the history loads (for PR purposes IMO) and we are now worried about relegation for the 2nd season running.

I'm not saying doug was right to act like he did but it doesn't really effect the enjoyment of supporting villa. Having my proud history scarf and walking past the pub doesn't make me happy after watching a shit performance and losing the game.

Lerner.

I have some respect Ellis for keeping us afloat in the manner in which he did - cautious but never in danger of financial trouble. But still, you need far more ambition and willingness to invest to run a top-flight team, which Lerner has undeniably showed since taking over.

Unequivocally Lerner
Absolutely.

Graham Turner & Billy McNeill

Getting thrashed 5 and 6 goals by the likes of Notts County, (post their best) Nott'm Forest, as well as Arsenal - just shoeing after shoeing. look here for the relegation season results - and it was much worse than the crap we're being served up with at the moment. Relegation season followed another rubbish season and it was inevitable we'd go.

Of course under 25 years of Ellis "leadership" we did win 2 league cups, so it wasn't all bad, and we had a short periods of being quite good under BFR, Brian Little, and JG.

Ellis has a record of relegation, lack of respect for the ground, the fans, and the traditions of the club a record of enriching himself from the Club.

Ellis also broke up a good side, sold our best players and led us into a bad financial situation.

Whatever the problems with Randy's time, and there are several, Ellis did worse. To pick Ellis as preferable is (to me) utterly staggering for anyone old enough to remember the 80s in particular. Short memories and all that.

It's still not a 1 year cycle which was the original claim.
Sorry you are wrong

the original claim, and I feel pretty safe in saying this as it was my claim, was that it was becomming a one year cycle and given the possibility that Mcleish could be gone this summer then it would be becomming a one year cycle.

I believe he has had lots of managers of his American sports team as well

Whatever the problems with Randy's time, and there are several, Ellis did worse. To pick Ellis as preferable is (to me) utterly staggering for anyone old enough to remember the 80s in particular. Short memories and all that.

I remember the 80s, and the relgation time was shit, undoubtedly, as were your other equally valid points. However, when I look back at finishing second with the football especially under Atkinson, the football was an absolute joy to watch, and most of the late 80 and early to mid 90s were great. I haven't enjoyed one season of O'Neill's nearly as much as Taylor (first time), Atkinson, Little and even a fair bit of Gregory's time.

And that for me is the important thing, enjoyment of watching football, otherwise what's the point? All of my favourite moments of watching Villa came under Ellis I'm afraid. Eg finishing second twice, the two league cup wins, the Tranmere semi final, beating Everton 6-2, the Dalian Atkinson goal, signing Saunders and smashing Liverpool, beating Inter etc etc.

It's still not a 1 year cycle which was the original claim.
Sorry you are wrong

the original claim, and I feel pretty safe in saying this as it was my claim, was that it was becomming a one year cycle and given the possibility that Mcleish could be gone this summer then it would be becomming a one year cycle.

I believe he has had lots of managers of his American sports team as well

Gotcha. You're making a prediction. Or rather you are stating that something is happening now (i.e. it's in the process of becoming a 1 year cycle) based on something that might or mightn't happen in the summer (Eck leaving). I think we'll leave it there so.

Lerner, all day.

I'm with those who find it baffling that people would choose Ellis over him, given how utterly diabolical we were before Lerner took over.

The criticism of our heavy spending during the MON years seems to be silly too given that it was a calculated risk to make at a time when the top 4 was a lot more crackable; not to mention that we very nearly made it but Man City coming along changed the whole dynamic.

Lerner is a good chairman and has done a lot for the club. I don't always agree with his decisions but he's done enough to be forgiven for a bad one or two.

Lerner, all day.

I'm with those who find it baffling that people would choose Ellis over him, given how utterly diabolical we were before Lerner took over.

The criticism of our heavy spending during the MON years seems to be silly too given that it was a calculated risk to make at a time when the top 4 was a lot more crackable; not to mention that we very nearly made it but Man City coming along changed the whole dynamic.

Lerner is a good chairman and has done a lot for the club. I don't always agree with his decisions but he's done enough to be forgiven for a bad one or two.

Exactly, we've had 3 good seasons an average one and now a poor one under Lerner I imagine that ratio is very different under Doug.

People have very short memories when they say Lerner is worse because of overspending and his managerial appointments I only wish that was the worse Doug did.

I think I might start a thread in off topic who is the more evil Hitler or the Dalai Lama.

I remember the 80s, and the relgation time was shit, undoubtedly, as were your other equally valid points. However, when I look back at finishing second with the football especially under Atkinson, the football was an absolute joy to watch, and most of the late 80 and early to mid 90s were great. I haven't enjoyed one season of O'Neill's nearly as much as Taylor (first time), Atkinson, Little and even a fair bit of Gregory's time.

And that for me is the important thing, enjoyment of watching football, otherwise what's the point? All of my favourite moments of watching Villa came under Ellis I'm afraid. Eg finishing second twice, the two league cup wins, the Tranmere semi final, beating Everton 6-2, the Dalian Atkinson goal, signing Saunders and smashing Liverpool, beating Inter etc etc.

Well there you go, there is a lesson there. Patience. Things can change.

In the first 12 months Lerner was here man city and spurs spent more than us. It shouldn't have been a surprise. Man city did go to a different level the year after but that's one team and no excuse for the spending with no plan which has seen 2 terrible seasons follow.

Lerner, all day.

lerner has got us into a financial mess and has made the worst ever managerial appointment i have ever seen.

Gosh, do I look back on Ellis with any fondness? No not really. At least you could say you knew what Ellis was about.

Lerner is fast becoming a charlatan. A man who we were taken in by. He looked great until he lost interest.

Ellis made some baffling managerial appointments. He also made more than a few good ones.

Lerner has managed to appoint two clowns. And with Faulkner you might say he’s appointed a trio.

Frankly I would like neither near Villa.

[

Exactly, we've had 3 good seasons an average one and now a poor one under Lerner I imagine that ratio is very different under Doug.

Are you classing 2010/11 as an average season? I personally don't think being in and around the relegation zone for 5 months is an average season for Aston Villa.

The last two games of last season masked over just how poor it was. Something similar may happen this season but it won't change the fact for the most part we'd have been poor.

We have had two poor seasons on the spin and you'd be hard pushed to give good reason as to why things will improve next season without a change of manager, CEO and maybe owner.

Well there you go, there is a lesson there. Patience. Things can change.

I'v waited 6 years for things to be anywhere near as good as they were under Atkinson and Little. The only changes that seem to be happening are for the worse.

Â