Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Thanks man. I'm sober as a judge as well!

You know, sometimes it's the little things. The way he used to conduct interviews, win lose or draw with that wry smile and a quip never far away. How the players would bleed for him no matter what their talent. Remember the John Carew incident? The way he handled that was just blinding. Even the "contretemps" with Reo-Coker, it's forgotten that he made him captain in the very next game. Promptly dropped him when he was cack, but hey, it's the thought that counts.

The jump for joy. Some of our finest results. Finally beating United. THE 5-1. The boxing day games - Chelsea 4-4 and Arsenal 2-2. Everton 3-2. Beating Arsenal home and away. In fact, we had a bit of a hoodoo over Chelsea. Why? Because we believed. Everyone believed, from top to bottom that on our day we had the measure of anyone.

Why? Martin O'Neill.

I'm happy for people to argue that he wasted a shit ton of money on gash like Heskey and Beye. Yes, they've left a financial hole that it has been a struggle to remove ourselves from. But you know what? **** it. We're hardly "doing a Leeds". Nobody, not even Martin O'Neill could see this recession coming. Not even Randy Lerner. So **** it.

I can't follow him now, I'm not one of those fans. It's not my club, my club is Aston Villa through thick and thin and McLeish. But we'll always have those memories.

Thank you.

Two fantastic posts on this page Dave. Agree with every word. MON top manager and top man.

Yes he left at the start of a season but given the fact that the club lost the tribunal with him to me it suggests that Lerner et al were at fault for that not MON.

We are worse off without him. I never ever worried about the possibility of relegation whilst he was here, I have done twice since

Sunderland will not worry about relegation now, they will beat us and finish easily above us. The actions that the club have taken since MON left have proven to me that the club are to blame for his departure, shit decisions have left us in a right mess.

We will never again, with Lener at the healm, have a manager anywhere near as good as MON

Sorry chap, nice try there and it may infuriate you but I am right more than wrong on events at Villa.

you should look at them negative next 8 or 9 game prediction threads you create ;), surprised we even got to 20 points this season ;)

You know, sometimes it's the little things. The way he used to conduct interviews, win lose or draw with that wry smile and a quip never far away. How the players would bleed for him no matter what their talent. Remember the John Carew incident? The way he handled that was just blinding. Even the "contretemps" with Reo-Coker, it's forgotten that he made him captain in the very next game. Promptly dropped him when he was cack, but hey, it's the thought that counts.

The jump for joy. Some of our finest results. Finally beating United. THE 5-1. The boxing day games - Chelsea 4-4 and Arsenal 2-2. Everton 3-2. Beating Arsenal home and away. In fact, we had a bit of a hoodoo over Chelsea. Why? Because we believed. Everyone believed, from top to bottom that on our day we had the measure of anyone.

Why? Martin O'Neill.

I'm happy for people to argue that he wasted a shit ton of money on gash like Heskey and Beye. Yes, they've left a financial hole that it has been a struggle to remove ourselves from. But you know what? **** it. We're hardly "doing a Leeds". Nobody, not even Martin O'Neill could see this recession coming. Not even Randy Lerner. So **** it.

I can't follow him now, I'm not one of those fans. It's not my club, my club is Aston Villa through thick and thin and McLeish. But we'll always have those memories.

Thank you.

:nod:

Why? Martin O'Neill.

Thank you.

Great post, but you triggered my inbuilt pedant alarm.

We haven't beaten Arsenal at home since December 1998.

Yes he left at the start of a season but given the fact that the club lost the tribunal with him to me it suggests that Lerner et al were at fault for that not MON.

You might want to go read Blandy's posts I believe in the Randy thread but we didn't lose the tribunal and no judgement was made either way. From what I remember it was settled out of court.

Why? Martin O'Neill.

Thank you.

Great post, but you triggered my inbuilt pedant alarm.

We haven't beaten Arsenal at home since December 1998.

Fair enough! Knew I'd get something wrong, doing it all from memory. OK, replace that with the 3-1 against Liverpool, back when Liverpool were half decent. Many of the draws under O'Neill felt like victories, that in itself is sign enough of the general feeling surrounding the club at the time.

You might want to go read Blandy's posts I believe in the Randy thread but we didn't lose the tribunal and no judgement was made either way. From what I remember it was settled out of court.

It was settled by a football arbitration panel and if the club thought that they could have got away with not paying they would have done just that. You don't settle out of court if you have no blame, you settle out of court because you know if it goes to court you will have to pay and going to court will cost you more in the long run.

I guess people will believe what suits their current stance or opinion.

For me the facts of the matter are that Martin O'neill had a dispute with Aston Villa when he left the club. This was not settled by the club and as a result (and under the terms of his contract - and in fact most managers contracts I believe) when there is a dispute like that the ultimate solution is to go to an arbitration panel (even though only three or four have gone here in recent years I believe)

So MON had an issue with the club that was not resolved, he went to arbitration and got a settlement that he was satisfied with. So it was then resolved to his satisfaction.

To me , and regardless of what he got or how much he got, that very much means that his point was proven against the club or else he would not have been satisfied.

Hence someone who had resigned was proven to have a case against his former employers.

Why? Martin O'Neill.

Thank you.

Great post. I will add to the underlined bit that this is just how football is. Nobody, and I mean nobody ever avoids buying duds. SAF, Wenger, Jose, King Kenny, Roman Abramovich :D and any other successful manager has there fair share of shite on the books that they cannot shift. Its just the nature of the game. Its like going through a lifetime without being duped into buying the odd knackered used car. You have to accept you cannot get it right everytime and move on.

It was settled by a football arbitration panel and if the club thought that they could have got away with not paying they would have done just that. You don't settle out of court if you have no blame, you settle out of court because you know if it goes to court you will have to pay and going to court will cost you more in the long run.
It was not actually settled by a football arbitration panel. It was "amicably" settled outside the Tribunal, previous arbitration got nowhere. When you say You don't settle out of court if you have no blame then that must also apply to MO'N, surely - both sides "settled out of court" not just one side, which is somehow by deduction "guilty".

Richard and many others were factually wrong to say the Club lost the tribunal case. That is simply untrue but has been much repeated as if it were "fact". But as Richard more accurately said I guess people will believe what suits their current stance or opinion. [sometimes even without regard of the facts].

That applies to both parties though. Similarly, if O'Neill had thought that it was a slam dunk, he would have refused to settle, unless of course the club offered him more than he would have been awarded.

You settle out of court to avoid costs and the risk of it going against you.

Why? Martin O'Neill.

Thank you.

:thumb:

pretty much my thoughts exactly.

The fact he's sat in the SUnderland Dugout and we're stuck with Alex mcleish makes me ridiculously angry

• 2 weeks later...
Â