Martin O'Neill

maqroll

hmm i wonder how he would have performed the season houllier came in. i suspect he would have flopped hence why he walked like a coward

not a man like david moyes in my opinion

Pretty sure he didn't walk as the club had to pay him off.

He resigned.

The club may have put pressure on him to budget better and to trim the wage bill, but ultimately it was his decision to leave rather than the clubs.

It's irrelevant now but there is little proof of either position, the only actual fact here is that the club had to pay MON compensation, whether MON resigned and claimed for breach of contract / constructive dismissal or he was sacked isn't worthy of debate any more. The fact points to some degree of fault on the clubs side

The other thing that seems pretty clear is that there were differences between Lerner/Faulkner and O'Neill over transfer policy.

These rumbled on all summer and it's a pity they were not brought to a head at the beginning of the summer rather than leaving it until the last minute.

It's irrelevant now but there is little proof of either position, the only actual fact here is that the club had to pay MON compensation, whether MON resigned and claimed for breach of contract / constructive dismissal or he was sacked isn't worthy of debate any more. The fact points to some degree of fault on the clubs side
I think it is more relevant actually.

You see the fact that the club were required to pay compensation to a manager who had apparently walked out with no notice to the club and with no one at the club having the slightest clue (according to the club spokesman at the time) that MON was about to walk points to the fact that there was a large degree of fault on the club's side, not just "some" degree.

That actually brings into question the competence , honesty and integrity of those running the club and that for me is very relevant.

hmm i wonder how he would have performed the season houllier came in. i suspect he would have flopped hence why he walked like a coward

not a man like david moyes in my opinion

Pretty sure he didn't walk as the club had to pay him off.

He resigned.

The club may have put pressure on him to budget better and to trim the wage bill, but ultimately it was his decision to leave rather than the clubs.

Absolutely. If I resigned from my company I wouldn't be paid compensation for leaving, unless I could legally prove I had grievances that would be binding and compensated for in a court of law.

This idea that he got up willy nilly and resigned is nonsense and short-sighted. The club paid him outside because they knew their case couldn't stand up in front of the legal authorities, and that they had breached terms of their contract. It really isn't that hard to understand. I laugh at people who call him a quitter and everything else. They're either 14 or don't understand contracts or the process of resolving contracts, in which case they should be quiet as they have no idea of what they are talking about.

This idea that he got up willy nilly and resigned is nonsense and short-sighted.

I thought it was ridiculous at the time and never thought the bullshit the general posted was true.

I agree it is relevant and just shows how crap Lerner has been as an owner.

It's weird how much we will never know. I've not known many managerial tenures to end in this much mystery.

It's pretty easy to see the board had forced MON's hand and were trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Any fan who has put faith in the Villa board or ever will do since this debacle is wet behind the ears.

It's weird how much we will never know. I've not known many managerial tenures to end in this much mystery.

It's pretty easy to see the board had forced MON's hand and were trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Any fan who has put faith in the Villa board or ever will do since this debacle is wet behind the ears.

The conditions changed and he bottled it. I don't think it's anywhere near as clear cut as you think. Or I for that matter.

I only know I wish it hadn't ended. I wish he'd taken a punt on reducing the wages and rebuilding. I wish the club had been more patient in their approach with regards to this.

I love the daft prick.

Honestly, I've not really expressed my feelings on O'Neill since he left. To anyone. Because it still hurts.

I adored the man. He put the fun back in the game for me. Sure, dodgy signings, occasional mind numbing football, but he breathed life back into the club single handidly. Sure, the money was nice and we saw some fantastic footballers as a result but his ability to get the players going, the crowd going and bring hope at a time when that's really all we needed made me fall in love.

I've never had as much adulation for a man I've never met. I don't want to debate it, nothing will ever change my mind. This club without Martin O'Neill lacks it's shine. Legend.

I'm going to have to make it to the Sunderland game and I hope to tell him to his face how I feel. Don't care how pathetic some may find that, t'is what t'is.

Good luck Martin and have fun. Though not too much obviously....

Honestly, I've not really expressed my feelings on O'Neill since he left. To anyone. Because it still hurts.

I adored the man. He put the fun back in the game for me. Sure, dodgy signings, occasional mind numbing football, but he breathed life back into the club single handidly. Sure, the money was nice and we saw some fantastic footballers as a result but his ability to get the players going, the crowd going and bring hope at a time when that's really all we needed made me fall in love.

I've never had as much adulation for a man I've never met. I don't want to debate it, nothing will ever change my mind. This club without Martin O'Neill lacks it's shine. Legend.

I'm going to have to make it to the Sunderland game and I hope to tell him to his face how I feel. Don't care how pathetic some may find that, t'is what t'is.

Good luck Martin and have fun. Though not too much obviously....

I don't completely agree with it but I love the passion in your post. The passion is very appropriate given the man you are talking about.

You will be amongst many, many others who know the game and appreciate what he gave this club, in thanking him as well. There will obviously be a few who'll boo but I am sure they will be easily drowned out.

It was a shame we never got to give him the great send off he obviously deserved.

Thanks man. I'm sober as a judge as well!

You know, sometimes it's the little things. The way he used to conduct interviews, win lose or draw with that wry smile and a quip never far away. How the players would bleed for him no matter what their talent. Remember the John Carew incident? The way he handled that was just blinding. Even the "contretemps" with Reo-Coker, it's forgotten that he made him captain in the very next game. Promptly dropped him when he was cack, but hey, it's the thought that counts.

The jump for joy. Some of our finest results. Finally beating United. THE 5-1. The boxing day games - Chelsea 4-4 and Arsenal 2-2. Everton 3-2. Beating Arsenal home and away. In fact, we had a bit of a hoodoo over Chelsea. Why? Because we believed. Everyone believed, from top to bottom that on our day we had the measure of anyone.

Why? Martin O'Neill.

I'm happy for people to argue that he wasted a shit ton of money on gash like Heskey and Beye. Yes, they've left a financial hole that it has been a struggle to remove ourselves from. But you know what? **** it. We're hardly "doing a Leeds". Nobody, not even Martin O'Neill could see this recession coming. Not even Randy Lerner. So **** it.

I can't follow him now, I'm not one of those fans. It's not my club, my club is Aston Villa through thick and thin and McLeish. But we'll always have those memories.

Thank you.

I pretty much agree with these sentiments. He was a proper character, lead us through some proper heartbreaks, some awesome results, some terrible results (Happy birthday to me- first ever away game for Villa on my birthday: 7-1 to Chelsea, haven't looked back since and prefer away games now). Very, very frustrating at times, sometimes pulled off the backs to the wall approach (THE Man U game), sometimes not, players being played out of position getting out of hand. I will always look fondly on the memories he gave me, it's just such a massive, massive disappointment with the way he left us. And a proper **** you to the fans like me who always held him in such high esteem.

I would like to also have give him the send off he deserved. Just like the one he gave us, oh wait...
Good one. :lol:

I think if MON hadn't walked out on us like that then yeah, he'd deserve a send off. However, he completely **** us over and stuck a huge middle finger up at the fans who sung his name for 4 years. I'm going to the Sunderland game but only because I want to see us get one over on that word removed (however unlikely that may be under McCleish).

Â