Martin O'Neill

maqroll

If MON's consecutive 6th place finishes are to be lauded, where does that put a man with a much lower wage bill, and a hugely less transfer budget, who consistently outperformed him?

I think moyes is a fantastic manager and I rate him highly. That doesn't effect how highly I rate MON though.

I saw someone mention the money he spent and how he should have done better. Never really got that argument, were other teams not spending? We didn't spend enough to turn round and say we definitely should have finished above any of man u, Chelsea, arsenal, liverpool, city or spurs.

In terms of spending and sixth place finishes I think Martin did a far greater job than 'king' kenny is currently doing. £35m for the gypsy king, £20m for downing, £18m for henderson, adam £8m etc. All have been pretty terrible. Martin's big money signings were all successes.

You also have to bear in mind how dire our squad was when he took over and how he needed to undertake a complete overhaul.

Here's the thing for me, people say MON was crap in the transfer market, his tactics were not all that but then ask why is three 6th places anygood then? Well for me you cant have it both ways.

Either his transfer dealings and tactics were crap in which case 3 6th places, a cup final, semi final and consistently improving our points and goals scored is pretty good under those circumstances

or

His signings and tactics weren't that bad afterall.

In terms of spending and sixth place finishes I think Martin did a far greater job than 'king' kenny is currently doing. £35m for the gypsy king, £20m for downing, £18m for henderson, adam £8m etc. All have been pretty terrible. Martin's big money signings were all successes.

You also have to bear in mind how dire our squad was when he took over and how he needed to undertake a complete overhaul.

Curtis Davies was a bad big money signing and NRC was pretty expensive and didn't work out.

Other than Beye and Heskey i think his signings made sense in some way so no real complaints.

We may dislike him, through bitterness or whatever, but 4 wins out of his first 6 games is not to be laughed at, especially with such a poor squad.

It may have only been Wigan, but scoring 4 goals away from home, in a team apparently lacking real goal threat..

"He can never get teams beyond 6th'. I think right now, Sunderland would snap your hand off for 6th place. As would we..

I think MON's main problem with some of the big signings was his reluctance to use them.

I don't think it's his signings as such.. I think it's that he gets too focused on his best team.. I don't think any of his signings were particularly bad, although expensive for just cover.. However, having players on 50k a week and having them on the bench or in the reserves whilst burning out your first team and throwing away points as a result is a massive massive error IMO. I'm sure he's probably learnt from that, and will rotate more at Sunderland. Hopefully not though.

Curtis Davies was a bad big money signing and NRC was pretty expensive and didn't work out.

Other than Beye and Heskey i think his signings made sense in some way so no real complaints.

The signing that made no sense to me was Luke Young.

We were desperate for a right back and he was available for £2m.

We watched as he went to Middlesbrough for a year, while we still muddled about without a right back, and then paid £4m or £5m for him (£5m was quoted on here the other day).

As mentioned elsewhere Scott Carson was a bit crazy as well, a £2m loan with an option to buy for a further £10m. A pity we didn't have such a deal on old Curtis!

We watched as he went to Middlesbrough for a year, while we still muddled about without a right back, and then paid £4m or £5m for him (£5m was quoted on here the other day).

If I recall this right, we had Mellberg who put in a very effective shift at Right Back that season. Not sure Young was needed but was maybe the best choice available when Mellberg moved on.

If I recall this right, we had Mellberg who put in a very effective shift at Right Back that season. Not sure Young was needed but was maybe the best choice available when Mellberg moved on.

Effective, maybe, but certainly out of position.

Personally I thought that Mellberg was a crap right back, but a reasonable central defender.

Correct. Mellberg slotted in at right back a position he had played in numerous times previously, and since, for Sweden. Craig Gardner gave decent cover on a couple of occasions during that season.

Laursen and Zat Knight were the centre back pairing for most of the season with I believe Laursen having his one and only ever present season for us.

As mentioned elsewhere Scott Carson was a bit crazy as well, a £2m loan with an option to buy for a further £10m. A pity we didn't have such a deal on old Curtis!

i remember something at the time that we went in for young whilst he was at charlton and were quoted £6million, he went to boro the week later for half that.

MON was a great manager, the best ive seen at villa in 16 years of attending villa park, but

Sidwell - £6million

Shorey - £4.5 million

Davies £10 million

Beye £3million

NRC - £8million

Heskey £3.5

Warnock £7.5million

Harewood £4million

Knight £4million

best part of £40million + wages on that shite.

FFS he's only gone and won manager of the month

He is now 3rd in the all time Premier League list behind Ferguson and Wenger. Not bad going considering he spent a few years up in Scotland and also a couple of seasons not managing. He is not surprisingly, given the shit served up since, the last Aston Villa manager to win the award for April 2010.

Â