Martin O'Neill

maqroll

When people say Martin O Neill can only take you so far, generally in his career this has been pretty much as far as that club could expect, or very close to it. Maybe he could have won the UEFA Cup and won the title every season in Scotland, and with Villa maybe he could have won a cup and got that 4th place. This is a glittering career though and if he gets Sunderland a cup or UEFA football their fans will have some of their best supporting years under him

I can see why people don't like him for why he left, although personally i don't tend to agree with the reasons i hear. I can also see why people feel we overspent on average players under him, but personally i don't see how blame is laid at a manager and not chairman for this

Wycombe - Left them 2 leagues higher up and in the football league for the first time ever

Leicester - Got them promoted. Left them 8th in Premiership after 2 league cup wins, UEFA Cup football and 4 successive top ten finishes.

Celtic - Took over when Rangers had won 11 out the last 12 titles. Broke the dominance and won 3 of the next 5 including a domestic treble and got to a UEFA Cup final. Won 7 old firm games in a row

l

Villa - 3 successive top 6 finishes, most points in 15 seasons

Nobody is disputing the great times we had under O'Neill. A lot of the criticisms are drawn at the managers shortcomings. I don't regard him in the messianic terms some do on this board. He was a good manager for us and came in the right time. However there is much looking back that leaves a sour taste. The transfers for a start have been done to death. in 2008-2009, sending our reserve side to Moscow and giving up on European football. The following game where we threw away a 2-0 lead against Stoke and subsequently only winning 2 out 12 games thereafter. The embarrassing 5-0 defeat to Liverpool - it was a wholly unacceptable finish to the season.

The next year, yes we finished 6th again. But we collapsed yet again near the end when 4th was realistic. Too many draws. The 7-1 capitulation against Chelsea. No signings in January when we really needed them - when summer signings like Downing didn't play till 21 November because they were injured. The limitations he put upon our squad were once again fully exposed and it cost us.

The consequences were potentially (luckily for us someone - who i believe was Faulkner - put a stop to it) far more severe than the achievements were great.

:shock:

Good old Faulkner. Great track record with managers, great track record with players (yes he was the one who sold our best players...). And he thinks we are a top six side. Probably a nice guy, but he’s done as much damage as any manager.

RCAzL.png

How much money has MON spent at Sunderland? What was laughing about last week when a neutral fan made a point about him being good on a low budget?

Look at the squad he inherited. It's more a failing of Bruce than the ability of O'Neill. Besides Chelsea, Tottenham and Man City their fixture list has been winnable for the most part. There's still much of the season left.

We've had some winnable games as well over this season. Did we win them? Nope, in fact we were lucky to scrap draws agaisnt some mid table teams such as Stoke.

Also, the players in Sunderland aren't anything special. MON does seem to have a special talent of making average players play above their normal standard though. He also seems alot better when he isn't spending money. Strange manager.

He was helped by a very harsh red card, but yes, we could do with those stats. I don't like him for the way he left, and I have no doubt that he left and weren't fired, but I miss him as our manager. That's why it hurts even more.

It's going to be a sick feeling when we play Sunderland at home. You just know MON will walk all over McLeish and that will be the biggest embarassment this club has faced in ages. The fact Sunderland are the new Aston Villa and we're the new Small Heath Alliance.

Â