Martin O'Neill

maqroll

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I recall an anonymous player(Patrick Berger) was shocked at his approach to training and tactics when he took over but player was soon let go. I had high hopes for Berger

Berger was an injury prone player at the end of his career. I think he was let go because he said that he thought Barry should go to Liverpool. Blimey that feels like a loooong time ago.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2019 at 12:09, Kiwivillan said:

I recall an anonymous player(Patrick Berger) was shocked at his approach to training and tactics

I'm not sure that's how the word "anonymous" works 😁

• Like 1

On 30/06/2019 at 03:09, Kiwivillan said:

I recall an anonymous player(Patrick Berger) was shocked at his approach to training and tactics when he took over but player was soon let go. I had high hopes for Berger

When you say you had high hopes for Berger, you do remember he was 33/34 and not a kid making he's breakthrough? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

When you say you had high hopes for Berger, you do remember he was 33/34 and not a kid making he's breakthrough? 

It was the years of Djemba Djemba, Bakke, Berson and Carlton Cole. Getting an injury prone lad released by Pompey was something of a coup back then.

Christ, I am not even joking. I remember being genuinely excited.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see that MON’s career as a manager may finally be over. I have never forgiven him for his deliberately disruptive resignation.

• Like 4

On 30/06/2019 at 10:45, The Fun Factory said:

Berger was an injury prone player at the end of his career. I think he was let go because he said that he thought Barry should go to Liverpool. Blimey that feels like a loooong time ago.

I thought those two things (Berger leaving and the Barry to Liverpool rumours) were pretty far apart. I might be wrong but wasn’t the Barry to Liverpool stuff a whole season after Berger had gone? Maybe two?

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I thought those two things (Berger leaving and the Barry to Liverpool rumours) were pretty far apart. I might be wrong but wasn’t the Barry to Liverpool stuff a whole season after Berger had gone? Maybe two?

No, Berger's last season with us was the one when Liverpool were all over Barry. MON refused the deal and stripped Barry of captaincy, and he left to City a year later.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Incredible he went from doing a decent job at Villa to being totally irrelevant for a decade after.

Ruined by the curse of managing Villa!

On 29/06/2019 at 20:39, villa89 said:

It was reported from a few sources during most of his managerial career. He left the coaching/training to his assistants john Robertson and the other guy. The training sessions themselves were meant to be very basic at best. MON followed the clough approach of only really talking to the players on matchdays as he felt it meant more then, rather than speaking to them daily. 

Dinosaur. 

It's very much old school, Warnock does it aswell. Turn up on the Friday as players step it up and say a few words to gee them up for the weekend. I'd imagine Steve Bruce approach isn't a million miles away from it either.

I think there's one more job left for him in football, return to Celtic. Cue him being there when they win 10 in a row and the press will start creaming over him again. Easy job before retirement. If they can re-appoint Lennon they certainly would go back to MON. Him and Gerrard can also discuss the life and times of Rafa Benitez over a beer aswell.

On 18/07/2019 at 01:30, villalad21 said:

Incredible he went from doing a decent job at Villa to being totally irrelevant for a decade after.

It's been a while (a decade or so), so my memory might be fuzzy and I would habve to fact check.

But.....the money he spent on players at the peak of his villa reign was pretty astronomical if I recall (astronomical for the time and compared to what other clubs were spending), so I actually think he probably under performed and didn't do that well.

Sure he spent 50-60m one season which was a lot back then, and he got us two 6th place finishes, that was back when there wasn't a big 6, it was mostly a big 2 if I recall.

So yeah, I think there is an argument to be made that he squandered a lot of money and didn't achieve relative to that spend.

30 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

It's been a while (a decade or so), so my memory might be fuzzy and I would habve to fact check.

But.....the money he spent on players at the peak of his villa reign was pretty astronomical if I recall (astronomical for the time and compared to what other clubs were spending), so I actually think he probably under performed and didn't do that well.

Sure he spent 50-60m one season which was a lot back then, and he got us two 6th place finishes, that was back when there wasn't a big 6, it was mostly a big 2 if I recall.

So yeah, I think there is an argument to be made that he squandered a lot of money and didn't achieve relative to that spend.

Plus, we were 4th and flying, and then he went and bought Emile Heskey

*shudders*

Â