Martin O'Neill

maqroll

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Or you could say his approach led to Lerner cutting down. Paying 40k a week for players he then realised he didnt actually rate because he never saw them play

MON is one of the biggest pieces of shit to ever grace Villa Park. McLeish, Bruce, Sherwood, Garde were nothing compared to this scumbag charlatan

He signed some major flops on massive long contracts. Was very stubborn. Refused to sign a quality striker when needed and instead brought in Heskey. Constantly playing Cuellar at right back. The players were spent after 60 minutes every game. Thank god we’ve moved on from that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't think  the fans particularly cared about what we were paying per week at the time. We had super Randy Lerner our amazing philanthropic owner who was going to take us back to the big time after the depressing post 2000 Doug years. Then his divorce and credit crunch happened.

Our current model looks almost as unsustainable unless we sell top players most summer, or massively increase our commercial revenue. We just have to be better managed in bringing in quality replacements and  to reinvest in the squad, which we failed to do 2010-2016.

FFP happened...

randy saw this bullshit for what it was, the problem was he didn't get out of dodge for another 5 years

the day they signed the piece of paper that said you can only spend what you earn we had a childrens charity on the front of our shirt for £0 a year

i wouldnt happily argue that there's not a single team in the PL who suffered more from FFP than us

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

FFP happened...

randy saw this bullshit for what it was, the problem was he didn't get out of dodge for another 5 years

the day they signed the piece of paper that said you can only spend what you earn we had a childrens charity on the front of our shirt for £0 a year

i wouldnt happily argue that there's not a single team in the PL who suffered more from FFP than us

That was a major issue but you cannot discount the buyout of Man City a year earlier. 

The most realistic time to finish fourth stubborn old MON choked. The financial crash meant we didn’t have the grounds to compete. 

as for MON...id had enough of him by the last year, wasn't even the moscow stuff, I thought moscow were a better team than us and we'd have struggled to win that game anyway, it was the stubbornness in both tactics and team selection, the lack of subs and failure to really integrate what at the time I thought was a good youth team

Heskey was a big nail, the RB situation was another

O leary didnt too bad for the money he was given. He was irritating at times but i think he would have spent the money better than MON did on his defence. DOL managed to get nobby who was really good signing for us.

MON did well with the likes of carew, young, downing and milner.

I think he could have got better in than shorey, luke young knight heskey and harewood.

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 3

Beye Sidwell Shorey Reo Coker on astronomical amounts of money at the time now to play football.

Same 11 same subs I think was the joke amongst the players at the time.

I'd have not given him another penny either. His resignation was a disgrace.

Was always a spikey jumped up self serving character in his punditry before he came to Villa.

Legitimate arsehole. Only cares about himself not the football club. Can try and rewrite history as much he likes. We know what you are.

He ruined us. He blew the golden war chest 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

O leary didnt too bad for the money he was given. He was irritating at times but i think he would have spent the money better than MON did on his defence. DOL managed to get nobby who was really good signing for us.

I think he could have got better in than shorey, luke young knight heskey and harewood.

I remember that one transfer window we bought Ivanhoe and Arsenal bought Arshavin before he got fat. MON preferred either honest cloggers or players with pace. We lacked a number 10 type player the entire time he was at Villa. I think that was the reason we drew so many home games as couldn't go on the counter and get goals like we often did away from home. Most of our goals at Villa Park seemed to be from set pieces.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I remember that one transfer window we bought Ivanhoe and Arsenal bought Arshavin before he got fat. MON preferred either honest cloggers or players with pace. We lacked a number 10 type player the entire time he was at Villa. I think that was the reason we drew so many home games as couldn't go on the counter and get goals like we often did away from home. Most of our goals at Villa Park seemed to be from set pieces.

Pretty sure that was the window we were heavily linked with Luis Suarez for something like £12m.

6 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Pretty sure that was the window we were heavily linked with Luis Suarez for something like £12m.

I think the choice was Heskey or Falcao from what I recall. May have been Suarez as well, my mind plays tricks! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think the choice was Heskey or Falcao from what I recall. May have been Suarez as well, my mind plays tricks! 

Definitley falcao

MON wheeled out the cliche about needing time to adjust 

Edit - and arshavin was a North London transfer window special, they signed him on something like the 4th of Feb 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

Just now, villa4europe said:

Definitley falcao

MON wheeled out the cliche about needing time to adjust 

To be fair, Falcao was dire at Man Utd and Chelsea, albeit, 5 years later. :D 

It was about 10 years later wasn't it? 

He was at River when we were linked with him, that's why it's hard to know how truth there is in it, it was an angel link Colombian striker at River 

If we'd have got Porto / atletico / Monaco falcao we'd have been OK 

The worst thing about Heskey bar the obvious lack of football talent was MON shoehorned him in, wasn't even a like for like back up to Carew he played with him, we were desperate for a weimann off Benteke type set up and we went and got Heskey, killed us 

14 hours ago, Xela said:

Can't remember Suarez link at all although from timeline we played Ajax in October 2008 so perhaps. Wasn't there some link with Klass Jan Huntaleer being at a match....infact it was just Steve Stride's son who looked like him....

From what I remember we were linked with Cavani when he was at Palermo but think that was another MON had no clue who he was. Didn't Brede Hangeland also fail a medical here. Considering he was solid for Fulham for 5-6 seasons would've been a better signing than Zat Knight and likes of Collins and Dunne in terms of longevity. 

Edit: Here we are...summer 2009. Although from other articles think it was more agent talk rather than interest from our part:

South American hot shots aim for Aston Villa move - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

TWO of South America’s hottest striking talents have issued “come and get me” pleas to Martin O’Neill.

Edinson Cavani, a six-foot tall Uruguayan international, who plays for Palermo in Serie A, and River Plate’s Colombian international Radamel Falcao are both trying to engineer moves to the upper end of the Premier League.

Then you read rest of article and see Wes Brown, Matt Upson and David Bentley all linked...yep that was MON transfer window special.🤣

Forgot we were interested in Distin, he went to Everton that summer and played well there for 3-4 years.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 07/02/2022 at 11:06, Demitri_C said:

Bit harsh on Luke Young. Thought he was one of our better and consistently solid players for the few years he was with us. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ingram85 said:

Bit harsh on Luke Young. Thought he was one of our better and consistently solid players for the few years he was with us. 

I thought part of MONs downfall was not having / using Luke young enough

RB became a huge problem, between Gardner, reo Coker and beye epitomised MONs flaws

• Like 1

I thought part of his downfall was his ego arrogance refusal to adapt refusal to turn up most days at training spending loads of money giving stupid contracts his right hand man retiring who actually did the work his archaic football his lack of coaching or tactical knowledge his lack of man management and the fact he was a prick.

Oh wait no, that's most of it.

Smug Representative for Wellingborough.

On 07/02/2022 at 14:22, jacketspuds said:

On 07/02/2022 at 20:37, Xela said:

It was Cavani and Falcao. We were also offered Moutinho as were Everton. We bought Heskey instead. 

There was no planning under MON although he did get us 6th consistently.

Cavani Young Falcao Milner Gabby Carew is a potentially very good pool of forwards to choose from. In 2009/2010 Falcao wanted to come because of JPA link and history. 

Had we gone to 4-3-3 instead of his tried and never changed 4-4-2 with the squad we had and the players offered (not linked) we’d have been regular title challengers. 

Barry Petrov Moutinho/Milner as a Midfield could have matched anyone. Milner played RW initially for us. But he would have been good in that 4-3-3 as an 8 or a defensive 10. 

In fact I was derided on another forum for suggesting we sack MON before his third season (After heskey) and bring in Bielsa. I have no doubt with our resources at the time he’d have got us champions league. The league wouldn’t have known what just hit them.

FFS MON! 😭😭😭😭😭

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I thought part of MONs downfall was not having / using Luke young enough

RB became a huge problem, between Gardner, reo Coker and beye epitomised MONs flaws

Mellberg and Cuellar bombing down the right flank 😂😂

• Like 1

Â