Martin O'Neill

maqroll

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

He was really never good.

no he seemed to go from raw with lots of potential to be great to going really quiet to then almost disappearing to coming back as not as good as he could have been

maybe because of CL appearances / Russian games and then CSKA dropping out the CL and Russia going a bit shit

edit - me asking if they all stayed too long in Russia, apparently CSKA are really good payers hence why some of them never ventured west

Edited by villa4europe

He has some Champions League record. Its either most goals conceded or most games without a clean sheet. He was dire in tournaments for them 

Russian players are bad travellers in recent times. They dont seem to integrate, can only think of Izmailov who played so long abroad as dont count Cheryshev as he is half Spanish 

Just now, Zatman said:

He has some Champions League record. Its either most goals conceded or most games without a clean sheet. He was dire in tournaments for them 

Russian players are bad travellers in recent times. They dont seem to integrate, can only think of Izmailov who played so long abroad as dont count Cheryshev as he is half Spanish 

11 years without a CL clean sheet. And they're pretty regular in that competition.

9 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't know, we were essentially losing the tie (on away goals) with our first XI from the first leg. We'd have done well to get through CSKA.

Not suggesting I agree with throwing in the towel, that's as bad a decision any Villa manager will ever make.

It was the Zilina and Hamburg games where he screwed things up once again by playing the reserves had we taken those games seriously then we would have avoided CSKA and played someone either  nec nijmegen or another team i can't remember the name of. 

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

like I said strange team from CSKA that, vagner love had a decent record in Russia and got himself some brazil caps but never went on to do anything of note, akinfeev was touted as one of the highest potential keepers in Europe, dzagoev was their jack grealish (hopefully jacks star doesn't die out like his has) they had the 3 national team CBs, not sure if some of them just stayed too long rather than moving to the big leagues, the thing being CSKA aren't even the biggest team in Moscow and zenit / rubin were better teams at the time

krasic went on to play for juve, zhirkov left that summer for Chelsea, Daniel Carvalho disappeared back to brazil

My favourite from that group was Krasic, honestly thought he'd go onto be a top level player in Serie A when he went to Juve. Not least because he looked like Pavel Nedved. Ball was glued to his feet at times at VP. Flopped there and last I heard he's been playing in Polish league last few seasons.

• 2 years later...

Looks like he is coming out the wood work again talking about his time at villa

He said in the times he had 3 top 6 finishes delivering european football and wanted to push for champions league. He then says should have been more focused on than that then fighting  with people.

Cheers martin. You absolutely ruined your legacy with us at the timing  of your resignation. 

22 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

I still wonder where we might have been with a better manager than MON during that time. 

Champions League for certain.  He really should have qualified with the budget he was handed. 

• Like 1

I was furious at the timing with his resignation, but with what went on after him in the Lerner era, it's hard to blame him, he knew what was coming.

I agree though, we should have done much better with the resources at his disposal

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

I still wonder where we might have been with a better manager than MON during that time. 

I think we should have sacked him after we sacrificed the Uefa Cup and then bottled 4th place. 2009 was the time when we should have tried to adopt a modern system of operating the football club. The higher up the league you go, the more ruthless you have to become.

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That is very very damning when spelt out like that. 

He was a short termist. He had a 12 month rolling contract, everything was built on sand under him.  Not entirely all his fault but I think he failed to deliver when everything is considered. If he had won a trophy or finished 4th you will have to say "objective complete".  Being pedantic, you could say we stood still for three seasons too. I think MON would admit that he did not achieve what he wanted during his spell. My issue is - MON's achievements should have been viewed as a building block for the club, not the pinnacle. 

Oh well, his time at the club is consigned to the past. I try to view the good in his reign. I remember the buzz when he first arrived. The relative success he brought to the club. Obviously being considered by the wider footballing community to be a challenger, which I would like to think has some benefits in the modern day.

• Like 1

Â