Martin O'Neill

maqroll

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I thought part of MONs downfall was not having / using Luke young enough

RB became a huge problem, between Gardner, reo Coker and beye epitomised MONs flaws

Didn't his young brother die whilst he was at Villa? I don't think his heart was in it after that in fairness.

On 06/02/2022 at 15:22, NoelVilla said:

I still wonder where we might have been with a better manager than MON during that time. 

Thread bumped and I still wonder this. What an opportunity missed.

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Bit harsh on Luke Young. Thought he was one of our better and consistently solid players for the few years he was with us. 

I dunno maybe my expectations were abit high but i didnt think luke young was very good. When i look at cash i think he is twice the player of young

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dunno maybe my expectations were abit high but i didnt think luke young was very good. When i look at cash i think he is twice the player of young

Luke Young was fine and was decent going forward.

Cash is probably the best right back since Luke Young though. We had players like Hutton and Elmo who gave a lot of effort but really werent good enough then others like bloody Bacuna. Lowton was a good player but for some reason we got rid too soon

• Like 1

Looking back, I don't know how we were even that close to getting top 4. Football was proper shit back then. A team that plays 4 CB's every week and counterattacking football even at home was one of the 6 best teams in the country :lol:

44 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Didn't his young brother die whilst he was at Villa? I don't think his heart was in it after that in fairness.

Never heard that before 

Might make sense, he never seemed that injured but dropped off for no apparent reason 

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Looking back, I don't know how we were even that close to getting top 4. Football was proper shit back then. A team that plays 4 CB's every week and counterattacking football even at home was one of the 6 best teams in the country :lol:

Same as how Leicester won the league, you knew exactly how we'd play but it was so effective teams couldn't stop it 

Unless of course it was Wigan

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Never heard that before 

Might make sense, he never seemed that injured but dropped off for no apparent reason 

Lads holiday. Kid was 18 or so and fell off a balcony iirc. Horrible.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Cash is probably the best right back since Luke Young though. We had players like Hutton and Elmo who gave a lot of effort but really werent good enough then others like bloody Bacuna. Lowton was a good player but for some reason we got rid too soon

Didn’t his wife/partner/significant other play a “Mrs Unsworth” and refuse to leave where they were (Sheffield) to move to Birmingham?

5 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Didn’t his wife/partner/significant other play a “Mrs Unsworth” and refuse to leave where they were (Sheffield) to move to Birmingham?

Yep, there was the story about him being late to training because of him travelling in 

Lowton was ok but poor defensively - him and Westwood were the ultimate ball watchers. The amount of times you could see one of those two say “who was marking him” only to be told “you were” was too much it got tiresome. 

Both still fall asleep and attackers run off them. 

Back on topic - MON’s failure to get Champions League led to our eventual relegation.

17 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Lowton was ok but poor defensively - him and Westwood were the ultimate ball watchers. The amount of times you could see one of those two say “who was marking him” only to be told “you were” was too much it got tiresome. 

Both still fall asleep and attackers run off them. 

Back on topic - MON’s failure to get Champions League led to our eventual relegation.

I respectfully disagree…

Man City lead to our eventual relegation…

- Their oil daddies bankrolled spending nobody could match

- They facilitated the pulling up of the FFP drawbridge so nobody could match them

- They cherry picked our best English players (once they had broken into the England squad of course) even though they had the available finance to afford ANYONE IN THE WORLD that they wanted… but as we were the lowest hanging fruit/challengers to the Champions League places, they picked on us…

That bastard club **** us hard over a 10+ year period and facilitated heavily in our decline…

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

I respectfully disagree…

- They facilitated the pulling up of the FFP drawbridge so nobody could match them

- They cherry picked our best English players (once they had broken into the England squad of course) even though they had the available finance to afford ANYONE IN THE WORLD that they wanted… but as we were the lowest hanging fruit/challengers to the Champions League places, they picked on us…

That bastard club **** us hard over a 10+ year period and facilitated heavily in our decline…

If we had Champions League we would have had more revenue etc…

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

If we had Champions League we would have had more revenue etc…

We would never have managed to match the amount of money that the Saudi oil barons/people traffickers/war criminals could…

and compared to the Utds, Arsenals, Chelsea’s etc… we would still have been the lowest hanging domestic fruit that they could eliminate for that elusive top 4 finish and subsequent lucrative champions league revenue

31 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

I respectfully disagree…

How come nobody else struggled and went into relegation. They took players from Spurs, Arsenal and Everton as well and did ok. 

Man City is a factor but its not an excuse for our demise. MON shitty financial management plus a naive Lerner started the rot

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bloody hell looking at that list we have had some rather shit right backs havent we? Add de la cruz, beye and de laet right back has been a curse position for us.

The only othee one i can thjnk of thag was good for us was walker on loan

Edited by Demitri_C

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Bit harsh on Luke Young. Thought he was one of our better and consistently solid players for the few years he was with us. 

Young was fine and arguably better at LB when he was shifted there for half a season.

However summer 2007 when we were messing about signing endless CBs to stick Mellberg there he went to Boro for 3m and probably cheap wages considering he'd just got relegated with Charlton,

We then sign him 12 months later for 6m (when that was a decent fee) and high wages so never really got the logic there of waiting.

Shorey also came in on the same day and was f***ing hopeless.

6 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

It was Cavani and Falcao. We were also offered Moutinho as were Everton. We bought Heskey instead. 

There was no planning under MON although he did get us 6th consistently.

Cavani Young Falcao Milner Gabby Carew is a potentially very good pool of forwards to choose from. In 2009/2010 Falcao wanted to come because of JPA link and history. 

Had we gone to 4-3-3 instead of his tried and never changed 4-4-2 with the squad we had and the players offered (not linked) we’d have been regular title challengers. 

Barry Petrov Moutinho/Milner as a Midfield could have matched anyone. Milner played RW initially for us. But he would have been good in that 4-3-3 as an 8 or a defensive 10. 

In fact I was derided on another forum for suggesting we sack MON before his third season (After heskey) and bring in Bielsa. I have no doubt with our resources at the time he’d have got us champions league. The league wouldn’t have known what just hit them.

FFS MON! 😭😭😭😭😭

Yeah but we'd have lost Zat as a poster on here, got to think of the bigger picture sometimes.😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It wasn't, was arguably the best level of English football in modern era when you look at 3 English teams regularly in CL SFs (so more depth than now). Just looked at the quality of players at Man. United, Chelsea and Liverpool in that time. We were just incredibly effective at what we did. Counter attacked teams to death away from home and while VP form was mediocre we could still score with Young inswinging corner that Laursen or Carew could flick in. Gabby was also pretty decent in those days.

As ever with us our timing wasn't the best. I think if we'd had the MON era between 2011-15 then we'd have made top 4 once as Arsenal and Liverpool declined in that period and Spurs were hit and miss.

Edited by VillaChris

Â