Liverpool FC in 2011/12

BOF

Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?

• No
    • Yes

"Negro" is the literal Spanish translation for "Black" by the way. To say it is still used in many parts of the world is an understatement to say the least.

Liverpool FC were founded in 1892. They've been in existence for nearly 120 years. One would expect a club of such history and tradition to react to even the biggest setback with a degree of dignity, maturity and responsibility.

However, their statement in response to the Luis Suarez verdict read like it was written by a nine-year-old child whose ice cream has just been knocked out of their hand.

Let's take it point by point:

'We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone...'

Well, we'll stop you right there. Thanks to interviews given by the man himself and information very well leaked to the media by we don't know who (but can take a decent guess), Suarez admitted calling Evra 'something his team-mates at Manchester call him', so the use of the word was never in question.

'It is also our opinion that the accusation by this particular player was not credible - certainly no more credible than his prior unfounded accusations.'

Jesus, we thought this was just the domain of ill-informed idiots on the internet. For what is hopefully the final time, Evra has been caught up in racism rows twice before this incident. On neither of those occasions did Evra make the accusation.

'It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said 'I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist'. The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist.'

We'll say this slowly - the FA did not charge Suarez with 'being a racist'. They charged him with using racist language. A man does not have to be 'a racist' to use racist language.

Luis himself is of a mixed race family background as his grandfather was black...He has played with black players and mixed with their families whilst with the Uruguay national side and was Captain at Ajax Amsterdam of a team with a proud multi-cultural profile, many of whom became good friends.'

Seriously? The 'some of my best friends' argument? And as some have already pointed out, claiming a man cannot be racist because his grandfather was black is a little like saying he cannot be misogynist because he had a grandmother.

'We would also like to know when the FA intend to charge Patrice Evra with making abusive remarks to an opponent after he admitted himself in his evidence to insulting Luis Suarez in Spanish in the most objectionable of terms. Luis, to his credit, actually told the FA he had not heard the insult.'

Ah, the classic trick of trying to flip around the blame. Are you trying to defend your man or simply say the other guy was just as bad? Also, we're handing out credit for 'not lying about hearing something you didn't' now, are we?

Football365 has not taken a stand on this matter because we have no idea what actually happened and without all of the evidence, it's a far too complex issue to take lightly.

Liverpool are a fine football club, but please, have some dignity. It's hardly a surprise when an element of their support reacts in a certain manner when the club behaves in this way.

The fact he smirked and laughed whilst and after he said it proves he meant it in a degrading manner.

heard Fiona Derbyshire on the radio today and she speaks Spanish quite fluently ..she said in Spanish if you end a word with "ito" it is a term of endearment as far as she is aware and it kinda means "my little friend " to indicate affection , she wasn't commenting on the case merely on IF the word used was "Negrito "

Is it true that after fouling Kyut and getting booked Evra then said to the ref "you are only booking me because I'm black" .. I'm curious to a degree as if it is true then is Evra then not accusing the referee of racism and thus the referee needs to be on a racism charge or Evra should be taken to task for slander ? (if he really said it of course)

Haha, WTF?! Has Suarez been unjustly thrown in an African jail without a trial or something? They actually got **** sweaters printed up for an 8 match ban? And the guys that did this, set up the shirts and all the other "Support Suarez" stuff actually do walk around in society without 24-7 assistance from wet-nurses and people that can actually add numbers like, in their head? Without computers. Well come to think of they guys behind this would need computer help as well I suppose. I dunno, but I think today marks the day when mankind well and truly started to push itself to extinction by stupidity. And by push I actually mean **** aiming for it. Deliberately. :lol:

This is hands down one of the dumbest things I've seen in a long while. And I'm **** Daft! :crylaugh:

My GF commented on this t-shirts thing, saying 'what even the black players?'

And thinking about it, I think they only have one black player in the squad? (Johnson) This has to be the least in the Premiership surely?

Disgusting carry on from Liverpool they should be ashamed of themselves, I'd be ashamed to support a club carrying on the way they are behaving. Suarez isn't a victim, Liverpool aren't being picked on I think they are making themselves look terrible with all this and I hope at least some of their fans are equally disgusted by the actions of their club.

chuffed they missed the penalty this evening but gutted it wasn't Suarez who missed it!!!!

They really are a bunch of woeful f**kers - any excuse to don a black (or should I say negrito) armband and feel hard done by....

Laughable actions by the club - I hope they lose the appeal and get another couple of match bans for trying!!!!

heard Fiona Derbyshire on the radio today and she speaks Spanish quite fluently ..she said in Spanish if you end a word with "ito" it is a term of endearment as far as she is aware and it kinda means "my little friend " to indicate affection , she wasn't commenting on the case merely on IF the word used was "Negrito "

On this point, Radio 5 spoke to a representative from one of the 'Kick It Out'-esque groups last night following this announcement, and the point about 'it being friendly in Uruguay' was directly answered by the rep. His comments? To paraphrase, yes it can be a term of endearment between friends in a friendly situation. It can also be considered an insult, a derisory comment, especially in a heated environment, which you'd think 2 blokes on opposite teams in a heated football match probably comes under.

Suarez is at best, a moron. Why the **** would you call a bloke you're probably not friends with, in the middle of a match, who is from a completely different culture to your own, a term which is at best going to sound racially derisory?

Football365 are not far wrong either - I'd have the FA chuck the book at Liverpool for that statement. It's **** embarrassing.

Dalglish isn't stupid, and he works along the same lines as Fergie. He'll be trying to create an everyone's-against-us scenario to increase team spirit etc. It'll probably work, in fairness, but its pretty embarrassing to an outsider, and I hope the FA tell them where to shove their appeal. I suspect behind the scenes Kenny has told Suarez in no uncertain terms not be such a prick again.

The over reaction is quite painful

but then again if you get paid that much to be on tv, and when you throw in his expenses he gets paid a figure beyond daft IMO he should know what to say, they knew they were going to talk about it I'm amazed no one briefed him on what's considered pc