Liverpool FC in 2011/12

BOF

Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?

• No
    • Yes

He's going through a bad spell in front of goal, he's always been prolific otherwise, although he does tend to have the hot streaks more then anything where he can't stop scoring.

I don't think Liverpool signed him as a 'goalscorer', he's a brilliant striker and if he gets a decent partner it'd probably help him a lot. He needs a technical forward who he can play his tricks and flicks with not a big lump like Carroll. Don't know what 'King Kenny' was thinking, when he signed them as a pair. Oh and he'd have got about 15 league goals this season imo if he didn't get the ban, as his poor form in front of goal will end soon. Too good for Liverpool, was gutted when they signed him.

He is good but he isn't great or at least he isn't from what I've seen and often his approach play is far better than his finishing.

Being prolific in Holland doesn't really mean a great deal in terms of the PL as number of players who have made move show, think Kezman for example.

Did Liverpool buy his as a 'goalscorer' I have no idea to be honest, if he has been as prolific as you suggest though I'd imagine they did.

As for what Dalgleish (I refuse to call him anything else) was thinking, I don't think he was, I think they were both Comoli signings.

He is good but he isn't great or at least he isn't from what I've seen and often his approach play is far better than his finishing.

Being prolific in Holland doesn't really mean a great deal in terms of the PL as number of players who have made move show, think Kezman for example.

Did Liverpool buy his as a 'goalscorer' I have no idea to be honest, if he has been as prolific as you suggest though I'd imagine they did.

As for what Dalgleish (I refuse to call him anything else) was thinking, I don't think he was, I think they were both Comoli signings.

He is a player who can get 12-15 goals a season, he will go through bad spells and others where he can't stop scoring. By goalscorer I mean someone who can be relied upon to bury 75% of his chances, and he isn't that.

Ignoring Holland he is prolific at international level where he plays in a negative system but alongside technical forwards. I've watched near enough every Uruguay game since his debut as I follow them and he's always been the same. Although it helps for them that he has the chance to roam and play off the likes of Cavani and Forlan. Probably one of the most lethal frontlines in football. He then goes back to play for Liverpool and he's either a lone striker which he is not or alongside a target man that doesn't suit him.

You are probably right about Comolli, and Daglish does seem aggrieved that the partnership isn't working right now.

I'm not trying to excuse his bad finishing, but I'm a massive fan of his footballing ability and I think Liverpool aren't playing to his strengths. Although he's still a total nightmare to play against...

He's going through a bad spell in front of goal, he's always been prolific otherwise, although he does tend to have the hot streaks more then anything where he can't stop scoring

but his stats are all the same 1 goal in 3 except at Ajax. I agree he is a nightmare opponent but other problem for liverpool is nobody else is on his wavelength

Nobody and I do mean nobody thinks Carroll is worth what Liverpool paid for him but at the moment I'm really not convinced that Suarez is either. As it happens I don't think either are bad players, I'd happily have either or both in our colours to be honest but I think it is clear both were over priced.

In regards to Carroll I think the problem is that Liverpool don't play to his strengths in the way Newcastle used to, the irony is that we are probably perfect for him and visa versa at the moment in terms of styles. Perhaps we will swap him for Bent...

I can't help but think if we could have had Bent and Carroll together in the days of Milner, Downing and Young we would have taken some stopping.

I think Carroll is still a very good player, but he needs to be the focal point of a team to thrive. Suarez is the focal point of Liverpool's attack and this is effecting Carroll's game. I agree with Trent though, Carroll would have fit into our side back then and having him and Bent up front would probably have suited us at any point over the past three or four years, though Carew and Gabby did a good job for us back in the days when we had a great midfield.

As I think Trent said earlier Carroll and Suarez don't go together at all. Liverpool have decided to play to Suarez's strengths which makes sense as he is a good player but it makes the decision to spend so much on Carroll mind boggling. Whats worse is they then spend 20 mil on Downing with some intention of him linking with Carroll but then didn't change their style to get the most out of Downing or Carroll.

I don't think it has much to do with Suarez and Carroll not going together well. The fact is they are both missing loads of sitters. I've never seen a striker miss so many good opportunities as Suarez does. He's actually had more shots than any other stiker in the Premier league. It's not as if he's feeding on scraps either. He's missing gilt edge chances and on a constant basis. That has nothing to do with striker partners or the way the team is set up. It's really poor finishing plain and simple. I'd love to see a youtube style clip of all the chances he's missed since he's been in the Prem. Similar can be said of Carroll. I can't see what playing with Suares has anything to do with the chances he's missing. I watched MOTD last night and he missed 3 really easy chances. The keeper played well and he didn't finish when he should have, it had nothing to do with playing with Suarez. This happens every week with those two.

If two good strikers aren't scoring it's natural to look for reasons and it's easy to create arguments based on the way the team sets up or the strike partnership not working. But in this case, the explanation is far simpler. They are both finshing really badly. Stats show us this and most importantly we can see it with our own eyes. Go onto Rawk on any matchday and their fans will always be asking how either Carroll or Suarez managed to miss those chances. Yesterday Suarez had 6 chances within the box and got ZERO on targert. That isn't Carrolls fault or the rest the teams. He's playing in a system that has enabled him to have more shots than any other player in the league. He just has a remarkable talent for missing the goal. Dutch fans used to say he needs 10 chances to score 1 and it looks like they weren't joking.

I both agree and disagree with that Joey.

I agree with you in regards to Suarez but on Carroll I disagree I think the way Liverpool are set up to play does have a direct impact upon Carroll. I hear what you are saying about yesterday and the chances he had but its a wider issue than one game, strikers depend ypon confidence as we are seeing with Bent this season compared to last season. When a team is built to get the best out of a striker they tend to thrive, when a team isn't they can struggle and that is true of both Bent and Carroll this season.

As for Suarez the team is built around him but he just isn't that good as good a finisher as people thought.

Suarez seems to have a mental block of scoring in the premier league, I should know as until recently I've had him in my FF team since September!!

In the last few months he's still scored twice at Stoke in the Carling cup and also 4 for Uruguay in their world cup qualifer against Chile.

"he is 6 points ahead of woy hodgson when he left. Only kenny has spent 100m. 100m for 6 extra points? Not good enough."

shocking stat.. if it was any other manager..

Yes, it's a very poor return on that kind of investment. I said at the start of this thread that I thought they'd do better.