Liverpool FC in 2011/12

BOF

Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?

• No
    • Yes

Been reliably informed that Rodgers has been guaranteed a very minimum of 2 to 3 years to be sniffing around 4th not within it. Thats no matter what the fans say or do the owners have assured him, so he doesn't have to worry too much about time and patience yet.

He should be fine and I after spending the last 3 days reading everything there is to read that I could get my hands on about his career, his philosophy and his tactics and methods I am really confident FSG have got the right man for the job. By researching and learning about him in detail he really doe's become an exciting young prospect and I am looking forward to it immensely.

He has excellent man management skills and has the gift of the gab so I'm confident he can convince our better players to buy into his vision so not too worried about losing people, although I still have slight concerns over Reina and Skrtel, possibly Suarez with him being so close to Dalglish.

I am also liking the sounds of the new european style structure FSG are implementing too and it sould work well with Rodgers giving him the support he needs to success and glad there won't be a DOF above him as such but 3 people working alongside him in charge of different technical aspects.

I feel so much more confident now Dalglish has gone and we have this new young and modern manager more suited to todays game and think ith this new approach and structure we can be back in the top 4 within the 2 to 3 years he is getting.

However, as always the proof will be in the pudding so we will see what happens in the next couple of years.

Cautiously optimistic and excited.

Rodgers has also told Gylfi Sig to sign for Swansea regardless which I thought was a nice touch from him towards his old club.

Good post, albeit a bit of confirmation bias noted. :thumb:

Do you think he will be lovingly accepted by the Liverpool fans, like K. Diggy, or will they be on his back from the start of the season, like Woy?

He'll get plenty of tme and patience for the first 2/3 years definitely.

The problem with fans of other clubs is you read Twitter or even worse the hysterically awful RAWK and base your judgements on them which gives the complete wrong impression of what LFC fans are thinking and feeling. There is a huge divide growing bewteen the traditional LFC fans who live in the North West and go the match or have season tickets and are in their late 20s and onwards and the OOTers who parade themselves on the internet as uber LFC fans who are a lot younger and have no idea how too act with patience and respect. It really is worlds apart.

Its the same for most clubs I reckon the internet and things like Twitter and bloody RAWK or RedCafe etc give these idits a platform and a voice centre stage when in times gone by we wouldnt have heard from these bafoons so now LFC has an, imho, this unfair reputation of calling for Managers heads straight away and having no patience. If the internet was bigger and we had Facebook and Twitter in the past these people would have been screaming for the heads of Shankly in his first couple of years, same with Rafa (oh my God he only came 5th below EFC in his first season! Herecy! CL win not good enough!) and Houllier.

Sorry about the long rant but this idea that LFC fans have changed on the whole and no longer give their Managers time really grinds my gears as for real traditional fans this is not true. Its just that the numpty plastic fans out scream the patient fans thanks to the internet.

I have to point out though that Woy was a complete anomaly and didn't get time because he was completely and utterly the wrong person for the job. Think of over the years what type of qualitys Managers of Liverpool have had like Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish, Rafa even Ged, he had the exact opposite qualities and because of this lost the fans and dressing room in record time.

He disrespected everything about LFC and insulted the fans and the players straight away and treated them with distain and you just don't do that and then expect to get time and understanding. He truly was a square peg in a round hole who was brought in as a patsy yes man to the MD who wanted to play Footy Manager with the LFC first team.

Fans were willing to give him support and time and respect when he was first appointed after Rafa and within two months he spat that back in everyones face. He was basically our version of Alex McCleish minus him managering our biggest rivals.

Rodgers will be given time and support from the off and what will help is that fans' expectations have now come down to a more health and realistic level.

Lastly, I am a Psychologist by day and I can assure you there is no confirmation bias on my side. I am usually pessimistic about Liverpool given the last 5 years since the first Yanks came in but becuase of the research I have done and from speaking to Watford, Reading and Swansea fans I am very optimistic this time and really do think he is going to be an inspired appointment, especially when he has the rest of the Technical Team around him when appointed next week.

Again, sorry about the rant boys but I am very passionate about the first part of this! :)

Well there were plenty of Liverpool fans calling for Hodgson's head old and new. I spend plenty of time in the city and I witnessed it first hand.

Liverpool fans are no more patient than any others they've just had many years of good times as soon as they've had a bad spell they've acted how most other fans act.

You can't take anything from the Roy episode too seriously as it really was an anomaly. It didn't make sense even at the time and he treated us and the club and players with nothing but disrespect.

If, for example, Pellegrini or Deschamps were appointed instead (Hodgson was 3rd choice), things would of been much different imo. When I was watching the Villa process of appointing AMc last year on here and other sites it was so like when we were appointing Hodgson it was scary. The way you felt about that is how we felt about the Hodge. We knew his methods and footballing philosophy would not fit with our club nor the players we had then, inparticular Torres. The only people who didn't see this was the three most important people - the board that appointed him. This, plus how he treated the fans, players and club, is why he wasn't given time.

There was so little faith in Roy that no matter how long he was given nobody believed he would ever succeed with us. Once that was certain by Xmas there was no point in keeping him. It was the same reasons why Villa fans didn't give AMc much time either, you knew he was totally wrong for the club and would take you backwards.

What didn't help was having Dalglishs shadow hanging over him, and the fans knew Kenny had been knocked back for the job too, which made things worse. Then when on top of that, as soon as Roy joined he slags off Dalglish in the media so his cards were marked. He didn't know how to manage big clubs with ambitions and was only good at working with relegation fodder who he could lift into mid-table mediocrity.

He was a terrible regressive manager whose ethos and philosophy was the antithesis of everything Liverpool stands for and even the 3 people who appointed him have admitted they got it completely wrong and if they could they would go back and not sack Rafa. That is where everything went wrong. Sacking Rafa was the start of the snowball rolling down the hill. He could of got us through to FSG taking over from the other two cowboys in much better shape, and now with much better owners with more resources, we would still be around 4th or 5th. Certain of it (I know he had initial talks with Villa but nothing came of it which is a shame as I think he would do an amazing job with you).

Look at the difference when rafa and Kenny were sacked the majority of fans were horrified and stated they deserved more time and opportunity to turn things around, that it wasn't what Liverpool did ust sacking Managers after one bad season without having a chance to fix things. This was even the case, but less so, with Houllier. The only Manager this didn't happen with was Roy but I don't think because of that, or because FSG couldn't wait to get shot of Dalglish even though most fans wanted him to stay (not me), that LFC fans deserve a reputation of being inpatient and not giving Managers time to work.

There is an ever growing divide between match going fans and the wider fan base but I have no idea why this is the case.

Our biggest problem as a club since 2004 is that at the top of the club and team there has always been personal infighting and power struggles where the good of the club and its progression plays second fiddle to individuals agendas and vendettas. Hopefully this has finally come to an end (although there are worrying rumours abound to do with our MD Ian Ayre who is rubbish at his job and is only still there as he knows some incriminating info about the FSGs takeover that they don't want getting out into the open).

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned before but it's heartening to see it's not just us that thinks this:

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre has branded Wigan chairman Dave Whelan a 'comedian' for his actions during the Reds' manager hunt.

Whelan gave regular updates to the media during the period in which the Latics' manager Roberto Martinez was approached and subsequently interviewed for the vacant Liverpool job.

The 75-year-old even suggested Martinez had been offered the job before the role of Kenny Dalglish's successor eventually went to Swansea's Brendan Rodgers.

And Ayre was unable to hide his frustration regarding the manner in which Whelan briefed the press during negotiations.

"Our aim from the outset was to conduct a proper, thorough, search and do it in the proper manner," Ayre told the Liverpool Echo.

"From our point of view, we did all the right things. We approached the clubs we needed to approach, and conducted ourselves properly at all times.

"It is disappointing, then, that Dave Whelan felt the need to run the kind of sideshow he conducted via Sky Sports News and various other media outlets.

"To be honest, I always thought John Bishop was the biggest comedian in the North West but Dave Whelan seems to have taken that mantle over the last couple of weeks."

Asked if it was true that Martinez was offered the job as Whelan claimed, Ayre said: "That is patently not true.

"We make no secret of the fact we spoke with Roberto Martinez, but that is all we did.

"He is a great guy, and I can't speak highly enough of his professionalism and conduct.

"But for his chairman to make suggestions like he has, and suggestions that just aren't true, well it is disappointing to say the least.

"We can say with absolute certainty that the only person who was made any offer by Liverpool Football Club is Brendan Rodgers."

SSN

• 1 year later...

29th anniversary of Heysel today.  Liverpool put out their usual token statement about how 39 fans died because "a wall collapsed" on their website.  Cheers guys. 

Wouldn't expect anything less from them.

Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing.

Edited by Avfc96
  • Like 1