The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

On 26/06/2021 at 14:59, Xela said:

Lets hope Lee didn't drive home. 

Been out with him a few times, he's mentioned it real briefly and i cant remember what he said

he's got stories for days though, my favourite was probably him telling me about being the first away goalscorer in the new Juve stadium as they played notts county to open it, he got a shirt im sure it was Pirlo's, the county players had been told not to try and interact with the Juve ones too much, no drinks in the club bar or anything like that, he snuck in to their changing room after the game to try and get the shirt signed, he said they were real cool and came over for a chat...but he found himself in the middle of the juve dressing room chatting with pirlo and buffon stood as casually as you like despite them being absolutely stark bollock naked without a care in the world

he's got loads of stories about being out on the piss at away games and graham taylor sending people out to find him and him having to run for the team bus and stuff like that

also seen him in a round of drinks be given a pint of cider by mistake, say "i dont drink cider" pour it over his own head and go off to the bar to get a beer...

so hes still a pisshead...but he's a nice guy, easy to talk to, funny, you can just see the darker side with the drink

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking article on David Platt. I think meeting him whilst he was at Villa and finding him to be a complete arrogant cock has damped my opinion of him over the years. But reading this, I stand corrected. Sir Graham uncovered a gem...

https://stusfootballflashbacks.com/2020/07/23/crewe-calcio-consistency-the-remarkable-career-of-david-platt/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

Cracking article on David Platt. I think meeting him whisky he was at Villa and finding him to be a comete arrogant cock has damped my opinion of him over the years. But reading this, I stand corrected. Sir Graham uncovered a gem...

https://stusfootballflashbacks.com/2020/07/23/crewe-calcio-consistency-the-remarkable-career-of-david-platt/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Was lucky enough to still be living in Brum when Platt was playing for us and watched him at Villa Park loads.

As an impressionable ten year old he was one of my favourite players, his goalscoring record at Villa was phenomenal.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

On 01/07/2021 at 00:00, HanoiVillan said:

He's a good prospect IMO, I hope he does well for you. Keep us updated!

Doyle-Hayes starts tonight for us in Andorra. Missed a lot of preseason so still getting his fitness back. 

They tried to kick us off the park in the first leg so hopefully the ref will protect us a bit tonight 🤔

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, newhavenhibby said:

Doyle-Hayes starts tonight for us in Andorra. Missed a lot of preseason so still getting his fitness back. 

They tried to kick us off the park in the first leg so hopefully the ref will protect us a bit tonight 🤔

My experience of occasionally watching them drawn against England is that Andorran postmen are a surprisingly rough bunch.

Edited by HanoiVillan

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

My experience of occasionally watching them drawn against England is that Andorran postmen are a surprisingly rough bunch.

Funnily enough they weren't as rough tonight! Mind you they had 2 of their worst culprits sent off in the first leg.

Doyle-Hayes played for around 70 minutes and looked comfortable on the ball and sprayed some nice passes to both wings. Once he gets full fitness he  looks as though he will be useful for us.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

Doyle-Hayes, man of the match at the ground in our game v Croatian side Rijeka tonight. 🙂

He'll have to play even better next week if we are to have any chance in the return leg.🙄

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, newhavenhibby said:

Doyle-Hayes, man of the match at the ground in our game v Croatian side Rijeka tonight. 🙂

He'll have to play even better next week if we are to have any chance in the return leg.🙄

I'd expect him to become an Irish international this season, he could overtake Hourihane in the pecking order too especially given the type of football Stephen Kenny wants to play.

On 05/08/2021 at 22:57, newhavenhibby said:

Was supposed to be excellent again today from reports. A solid start to the season from Hibs too.

• Like 1

Lots of kids fall to bits when released by premier league clubs. Doyle Hayes has character and ability. Took himself to Cheltenham and then St Mirren and has had a great start at Hibs. I’m Irish and id expect he’ll be called up at the next international break.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What does this even mean? :D 

JDH and O'Hare were bossing U23s and were young and ready to kick on.

You protect the club in the Championship play the kids when possible and maximise their potential and value.

We never did that once. 

We have Jed Steer, top young keep clearly talented. Play him, increase his value? Nope. Let's buy about 7 keepers.

James Bree is a talented kid, lets' develop him. No just keep giving Hutton new deals. He can't move and is terrible but he's a senior pro

We had some good youngsters man, didn't even get a shot.

• Like 1

Â