The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

Pierluigi Gollini just saved a Ronaldo penalty for Atalanta today. Morata is having a nightmare, but Gollini has been keeping his team in the match. Thankfully, we have Emi Martínez to soothe my broken heart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps one for the punditry thread, but... anyone else see Stephen Warnock on Match of the Day the other night?  Looking about thirteen and sporting natty Clark Kent glasses.  I don't think I've seen him do any punditry before but was surprised by how articulate, thorough and insightful he was!  So much so that I spent the first four or five minutes thinking, 'that IS Stephen Warnock, right?'  It seems the new rising ex-player punditry class are learning to do their homework and realising they have to be proper smarties.  A good sign!

10 hours ago, John said:

So sad to have heard that we have lost Colin Withers. He was my first Villa keeper and I watched him from my spot by the railings, behind his goal as a young lad. He really was a very good goalkeeper at a time that we were not a very good team. 

He joined us from Small Heath in 1964 and played 146 games for us before leaving to join Lincoln in 1969. He won the Terrace Trophy twice in 1966 & 1967. My thoughts are with his family. HEITS

Andy Turnstile on Twitter: "Happy Birthday to ex Villa great Colin Withers.  Terrace Trophy winner 66 & 67. Thanks to my good friend Mick Tilt for the  pictures #colinwithers #AstonVilla #astonvillafc #avfc #  Aston Villa 1 Hull City 1 in Sept 1968 at Villa Park. Villa keeper Colin  Withers makes a great save #Div2 | Hull city, Villa park, Aston villa image.jpeg.b809eb1cf07752dbdd12bbe394a08e33.jpeg 29th April 1967. Aston Villa goalkeeper Colin Withers makes a save from  Manchester United defender Nobby Stiles, at O… | Goalkeeper, Manchester  united, Old trafford

Props to anyone who throw their hands at a wet leather ball traveling at 70-80 mph without gloves on!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Just like to say im delighted to see O'Hare and Doyle-Hayes flying it at their respective clubs in Coventry and St. Mirren. Just because they didn't make it here it doesn't mean they can't do elsewhere. 

I had high hopes for O'Hare, he doing really well there then?

1 hour ago, TreeVillan said:

I had high hopes for O'Hare, he doing really well there then?

Many are probably more qualified to judge than me, especially if they’ve seen him play several times this season but going by WhoScored.com he’s doing fine. 
2 goals and 0 assists in 22 appearances. Average rating of 6.50 which is equal 12th amongst Cov’s playing list. Think he’s found a good situation, playing very regularly at the level he currently belongs at by the looks of things.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Hornso said:

Many are probably more qualified to judge than me, especially if they’ve seen him play several times this season but going by WhoScored.com he’s doing fine. 
2 goals and 0 assists in 22 appearances. Average rating of 6.50 which is equal 12th amongst Cov’s playing list. Think he’s found a good situation, playing very regularly at the level he currently belongs at by the looks of things.

Hopefully he can kick on from there. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, choffer said:

Dan Crowley loaned to Hull from SHA. Schadenfreude to some extent but it’s a shame to see such a highly rated youngster tumble down the leagues. 

Don't. He is apparently one of the most odious little gobshites to come through the system.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Don't. He is apparently one of the most odious little gobshites to come through the system.

I suspected that was the case but it’s still a pity to see talent wasted. 

Saw a Jordan Bowery gif on the other thread (Grealish thread) I totally forgot about him so had a look at his career since leaving us... Really shows how bad we were as a club, no wonder we eventually got relegated. Years of rot. He is currently at Chesterfield but since leaving really hasn’t done much in the game. You can argue it was a punt when we signed him but it’s still madness looking back at it. A struggling PL team financially and on the pitch signing punts.

3 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Saw a Jordan Bowery gif on the other thread (Grealish thread) I totally forgot about him so had a look at his career since leaving us... Really shows how bad we were as a club, no wonder we eventually got relegated. Years of rot. He is currently at Chesterfield but since leaving really hasn’t done much in the game. You can argue it was a punt when we signed him but it’s still madness looking back at it. A struggling PL team financially and on the pitch signing punts.

looking at his stats he is actually on course for his best ever goalscoring season. The next Vardy ;) 

Â