The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

22 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Talks about Villa a bit here. Every team has one or two bad pros but we had 7.

The worst pro Roy had ever seen is not named but it's obviously.

Nothing we don't know already like. What a bunch of Representatives for Wellingborough. Watched the club burn and still people think Gabby is a legend.

Clowns.

I absolutely love Roy Keane. I don't think he will make a good manager has a real dark side sometimes but he is a genuinely good guy and laugh 

Absolutely loved that interview, he showed a different side to him and at times it felt like he almost forgot the camera was there.

The bit about Villa was really interesting, I couldn't really work out who he was referring to when he said the bit about Villa having 2 of the worst professionals he's ever worked with. Could well be Gabby, because just before that he did say something like "I see them doing media work now" - and obviously Gabby is doing talksport these days. 

He talked about it in the interview and I've always found it baffling how his managerial career has been misconstrued. He did a pretty remarkable job at Sunderland, but that seems to be completely glossed over because he had a poor spell at Ipswich. Not been able to get a job since, strange. Ironic really that when he talked about some championship/league 1 managers being able to get 6 or 7 managerial jobs in a row without any success the first name I thought of was Lambert, who he worked for at Villa. 

Where about is the Villa bit on the interview? Can't seem to find it. 

Also, where was it filmed out of interest! Looks lovely. I assume around Cheshire somewhere?

13 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Played golf in front of Steve Staunton this afternoon. Looked a decent player.

Does he still live in Shenstone, I wonder?

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Does he still live in Shenstone, I wonder?

I'd imagine he does. Played at Aston Wood, just round the corner from Shenstone.

He played in the group behind us and we were held up by a slow 4 ball in front so had him right behind us on a few tee shots. Mentioned the slow play in front and he smiled. Seemed a nice guy. I wanted to say up the Villa but bottled it 😂

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

Where about is the Villa bit on the interview? Can't seem to find it. 

Also, where was it filmed out of interest! Looks lovely. I assume around Cheshire somewhere?

Its near the end about 50 minutes in, talking about his assistant days 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, handsworthvilla said:

The bit about Villa was really interesting, I couldn't really work out who he was referring to when he said the bit about Villa having 2 of the worst professionals he's ever worked with. Could well be Gabby, because just before that he did say something like "I see them doing media work now" - and obviously Gabby is doing talksport these days. 

Found this:

The straw that broke the camel's back was when a verbal dispute with Agbonlahor almost escalated into a physical confrontation. It is understood the Villa stalwart was discussing tactics with manager Paul Lambert when Keane interrupted. Agbonlahor didn't  take too kindly to Keane's interjection and responded,

"Excuse me, but I’m talking to the boss!"

The two men then became involved in a heated altercation and had to be separated from each other. Lambert held a meeting with Keane later that day when they decided on the assistant manager's early resignation.

Apparently, Keane also clashed with Fabian Delph. He allegedly criticised Delph during a training season in front of the entire team, which the English midfielder did not appreciate. Delph was said to have shouted "Don’t try to f****** mug me off!" back at Keane during the incident

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/the-astounding-real-story-behind-roy-keanes-aston-villa-resignation-revealed-5719

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Ah thank you - interesting! 

Gabby has just put a post up on insta with a link to the interview, basically confirming that it was him, and that in his eyes he just wouldn't let himself be bullied by Roy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, handsworthvilla said:

Ah thank you - interesting! 

Gabby has just put a post up on insta with a link to the interview, basically confirming that it was him, and that in his eyes he just wouldn't let himself be bullied by Roy

Has he? Not coming up on my insta

I'm no fan of Roy Keane, but Agbonlahor absolutely took the piss here for years. Top scorer or not, the guy is a word removed who took the club for a ride, he should have been shipped out years before. He was a thick, lazy joke of a man, and it says it all that his career was basically done at 29. Mr Aston Villa my arse. 

"Time for a drink", yeah mate, that's why you're a **** has been and Ashley Young is still playing in the Premier League. **** bellend. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm no fan of Roy Keane, but Agbonlahor absolutely took the piss here for years. Top scorer or not, the guy is a word removed who took the club for a ride, he should have been shipped out years before. He was a thick, lazy joke of a man, and it says it all that his career was basically done at 29. Mr Aston Villa my arse. 

"Time for a drink", yeah mate, that's why you're a **** has been and Ashley Young is still playing in the Premier League. **** bellend. 

the only piece of ITK info that's ever been given to me is where i met a fellow villa fan at a wedding who said he see gabby at his local KFC on a semi-regular basis during that period. his physique around that era backed up that claim.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

the only piece of ITK info that's ever been given to me is where i met a fellow villa fan at a wedding who said he see gabby at his local KFC on a semi-regular basis during that period. his physique around that era backed up that claim.

No doubt. Didn't he get sent to fat camp twice? As a highly paid professional athlete. It absolutely beggars belief how much we let him take the piss. He embodies everything that was wrong with this club in those final years before relegation. It was absolutely rotten. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah, but if he was actually good, he'd have moved to Man City, so :P

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Yep, whilst taking a massive wage out of the club as we were standing eyeball to eyeball with liquidation. 

Edited by sidcow

Â