The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting piece about Paul Merson Here

Gambling is the cruellest addiction of all: Arsenal legend PAUL MERSON reveals how he blew £7million on betting and even went to the bookies while his wife was in labour

Also goes into his drink and drug addictions.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/09/2021 at 21:08, villa4europe said:

I saw him at VP years ago talking about it, said he knew he had a problem when he had something like £300k on a team and they were losing 3-0 at half time, said it was badly impacting his job at sky cos he was watching other games rather than his own 

In my days as a blazer boy on the corporate hospitality suites it was my job to fetch the sponsor's player of match over from the dressing room to the suite for a mini presentation. Merson once joked to me on the way that he was sick of baskets of fruit !

Rather that than the champers I guess...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

The Merson documentary is on tonight. I think he said he has lost something like £7 million in  gambling which is sad to hear, hope he can beat this illness. I see him almost as much as Villa than Arsenal, and he always talks up Villa as well.

There's a Merson special about addiction on the Guardian Football Weekly page which is a pretty good (maybe the wrong word... let's go with interesting) listen.  Some insight from Max Rushden who saw Merson gambling a lot and didn't really think too much of it.  There was some comment about how Merson mentioned to Rushden "how are Dinamo Tbilisi losing 3-0?!" which is quite telling.  Also that Merson asked him (and others) for money to feed his habit and was then ashamed to get back in touch.  Merson also says about going to the pub with Rushden and others and "...I used to think, how can they just have 2 pints and then go home?".  For all Merson's faults, he comes across as a nice guy and this very much isn't him looking for sympathy either.  He isn't recovered or fixed, he just recognises that he needs to avoid addictive things and tries to do so on a daily basis.

I found it quite relatable as I have an addictive personality on a much lesser level.  I similarly stay out if I'm drinking.  I used to bet a lot and it was never about losing money, but missing "life".

Anyway, link is here:  https://www.theguardian.com/football/audio/2021/oct/06/paul-merson-on-alcoholism-his-gambling-addiction-and-punditry-football-weekly

• Like 1

On 12/09/2021 at 14:39, Genie said:

Interesting piece about Paul Merson Here

Also goes into his drink and drug addictions.

Thanks for this. Really shocking stuff. I consider myself to have a relatively addictive personality with an element of control if that makes some sense. I’m well aware that I could spiral out of control with drink and gambling (and have occasionally come close) if I let it happen and I can definitely understand how it does happen. I’m just fortunate that there’s a bigger voice stopping me but I do wonder if something bad happened in my life if it could happen to me. I’ve seen it happen to others. My job has been horrific enough at times to make drinking feel like the only escape  

As to gambling, you could say I’ve dabbled and then I’ve noticed it spiral and grow and grow before I was lucky enough to put a stop to it. The UK doesn’t do anything close to enough to control gambling and bookies. It’s just far too easy, far too available and targets those who have the least. How does anybody but the bookies benefit? Considering how much it must cost the government the only answer can be politicians lining their pockets with bungs from gambling companies. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Thanks for this. Really shocking stuff. I consider myself to have a relatively addictive personality with an element of control if that makes some sense. I’m well aware that I could spiral out of control with drink and gambling (and have occasionally come close) if I let it happen and I can definitely understand how it does happen. I’m just fortunate that there’s a bigger voice stopping me but I do wonder if something bad happened in my life if it could happen to me. I’ve seen it happen to others. My job has been horrific enough at times to make drinking feel like the only escape  

As to gambling, you could say I’ve dabbled and then I’ve noticed it spiral and grow and grow before I was lucky enough to put a stop to it. The UK doesn’t do anything close to enough to control gambling and bookies. It’s just far too easy, far too available and targets those who have the least. How does anybody but the bookies benefit? Considering how much it must cost the government the only answer can be politicians lining their pockets with bungs from gambling companies. 

I reckon if you’re earning £20/30/40,000 a week it’s easy to blow a fortune as it’s back again before you know it. 

If you get into the habit like Merson did when he was rolling in money it really becomes a problem when the income starts to dry up.

I really feel for people who wrestle with gambling as ads are everywhere. I hate the fact that football matches are hammered with gambling adverts. My son has asked me a few times about gambling off the back of these adverts and thinks it seems like a good idea betting on Kane to score next if you get 6x your money back. 

Â