The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

On 9/27/2017 at 12:47, choffer said:

Look after your valuables, Forest Green.

In other news, Scott Carson, Curtis Davies and Andi Weimann all turned out for Derby against Brentford last night. They were all hopeless.

Disappointing how Weimann's career has turned out.

I was excited by him in 12/13. Problem was he never developed technically and that finds you out after a while in the premier league. That said there are plenty of strikers in the prem who don't score much but ran around a lot e.g Shane Long.

Like many I thought he'd do very well at championship level but he dosen't seem to score more down here than with us in the prem e.g. 5 goals a season.

The other two were never that good at the top level.

51 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Weimann did pretty well at Wolves last season, without being incredible. He just seems to work well with Lambert for some reason. 

He needs to move to a club lower down the division who will play him every game. 

He's started most games for Derby this season.

He scored 3 goals in half a season at Wolves. His annual goal at the Kop end and two in the league.

He scored I think 20 premier league goals for us. He's only managed about 10 in the championship.

Just seems the sort that was a really good finisher in the youth team/early days for us but now just gets in the team for his work rate and dosen't really get in scoring positions anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

prob could put in here as aimed at an ex-Villa player. always thought Fabregas was a rocket polisher 

Former Ireland midfielder Kevin Kilbane said that Chelsea's Cesc Fabregas was an 'arse' for berating former Icelandic international Joey Guðjónsson during a FA Cup fourth tie between Huddersfield Town and Arsenal in 2011.

Kilbane was playing alongside Guðjónsson for Huddersfield at the time when Fabregas launched a verbal tirade at the midfielder when he entered the match as a second-half substitute for Abou Diaby.

"Fabregas was an arse," Kilbane said on Newstalk's Off The Ball.

"We were with Huddersfield and we were a League One side going to the Emirates [Stadium] and we were drawing 1-1 and Fabregas comes on to the pitch and he comes up against Joey Guðjónsson, a midfielder that played for Bolton and Charlton, and he says 'you're s**t, you're teammates are s**t'.

"C'mon! To be fair to Fabregas he actually scored a penalty when he came on but I was like 'this is Huddersfield mate. What are you doing? Jesus Christ! Give me a break'

"Do it to Scholes or Roy Keane, or whoever it would be, do it to one of those lads, don't do it to Joey Guðjónsson at Huddersfield."

Kilbane added that former Wales striker Craig Bellamy was confrontational towards nearly every defender he ever played against and that former Fulham midfielder Jimmy Bullard was great craic, while Robbie Savage also had a great sense of humour when confronting opponents.

"Sav was funny," added Kilbane.

"The constant one that Sav would always bring up would be 'yeah do you want to come around and do my garden? How much do you want? I pay my gardener more than you get'.

"Just stuff like this it was like 'nah come on'."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/off-the-ball/cesc-fabregas-was-an-arse-kevin-kilbane-rips-fabregas-for-berating-former-huddersfield-midfielder-36284673.html 

Jlloyd Samuel spent more than a decade in the Premier League with Aston Villa and Bolton, played against teams like Atletico Madrid and Bayern Munich, and received an England call-up.

Now the 36-year-old is player-manager of Cheshire League One leaders Egerton alongside ex-Barnsley, Huddersfield and Ajax midfielder Dean Gorre, and American businessman Jim Cherneski, coming up against teams such as Cheadle Town Reserves.

Samuel is using his football contacts to attract some other big names to the Knutsford side, with former Wigan striker Nathan Ellington making his debut last month.

Emile Heskey could be next, with the former England striker training at the club, followed by ex-Sheffield United and Manchester United forward Danny Webber and ex-Wigan defender Emmerson Boyce.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41846596

I remember that goal he scored with his right foot against Charlton (I think).  He was nearly playing for England at one point. 

All went wrong in 04/05 though and he never got back to the standard he did before.  Seemed like a nice guy.  I think he had a clothing label called "sweet boy clothing" at one point too if my memory serves me right :lol: 

13 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I remember that goal he scored with his right foot against Charlton (I think).  He was nearly playing for England at one point. 

All went wrong in 04/05 though and he never got back to the standard he did before.  Seemed like a nice guy.  I think he had a clothing label called "sweet boy clothing" at one point too if my memory serves me right :lol: 

He was terrific in 03/04, for around half the season, and then dropped off massively from late Jan on wards and was never the same. I recall seeing him do MTV Cribs and that alone provided massive insight into why he never became anything other than a below average premier league fullback. 

• Like 1

Â