The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

On 21/05/2017 at 18:21, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Fair play to Gary Cahill for the career he's forged for himself. He seems like a top lad and a model professional. Some thought he was just about 'that' goal, but most saw his potential for what it was. 

Has any ex-Villa player ever gone on to win honours like this (Yorke is the only one who comes to mind). 

Premier League: 2014–15, 2016–17

FA Cup: 2011–12

Football League Cup: 2014–15

UEFA Champions League: 2011–12

UEFA Europa League: 2012–13

How about Danny Blanchflower for another contender?

League Championship 1960-61

FA Cup 1960 & 1961

European Cup Winners' Cup 1962-63

Footballer of the Year 1958 & 1961. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/24/2017 at 00:15, Hornso said:

Jordan Bowery has just moved to Crewe.

still the most bizarre signing Lambert made. looking at his record since leaving Villa and he has barely hit double figuers

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I will never forget that time he nearly scored for us.

I'm sure I've asked this question before, but given he did score an own goal, is he the only Premier League striker to have more own goals than goals? He actually scored infinitely more own goals than goals :D

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm sure I've asked this question before, but given he did score an own goal, is he the only Premier League striker to have more own goals than goals? He actually scored infinitely more own goals than goals :D

not saying he didnt but from Google its no record he got an own goal and I cant remember either.

For me he wouldnt be dangerous in either box to worry about ;)

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

not saying he didnt but from Google its no record he got an own goal and I cant remember either.

For me he wouldnt be dangerous in either box to worry about ;)

I'm pretty sure it was in the Hull game where we won 3-1 and he actually played really well. It might not have been a 'proper' own goal, think the ball might have just bounced off him. 

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Hornso said:

Peter Whittingham joins Blackburn on a free from Cardiff after 457 appearances for them in all competitions.

fair to say Cardiff probably got the better deal of us at the time. Never understood why we let him go as he always impressed for me when he played and considering some of squad players we had over the years he would have been useful

nice to see he has had a good career for himself

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Riccardo Calder has joined Inverness Caledonian Thistle on a 2 year deal having been released by us this summer.

• Like 2

Wasn't sure where to put this, but this seems like a very good step for the club to make. I wonder how many other clubs have something similar to this already in place?

Aston Villa are eager to establish a Former Players Club.

For that reason, we are appealing to anyone who has played for our first team in the past to get in touch.

The purpose of the club will be to ensure:

Players maintain a relationship with Aston Villa beyond their playing career

Players have somewhere to turn in times of trouble

Players can continue to play a part in helping the club achieve our aims and ambitions

We are also looking for former players, with support from us, to play a key role in running the club on behalf of its members.

Chief Executive Keith Wyness said: “This football club is steeped in history and heritage and players always speak warmly about their time with us.

“We’re appealing for anyone who has worn the claret and blue shirt in the first team to get in touch as we look to create a club run by the members… for the members.”

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2017/03/02/appeal-to-former-players

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but this seems like a very good step for the club to make. I wonder how many other clubs have something similar to this already in place?

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2017/03/02/appeal-to-former-players

That is a great idea. I think this club needs to do a lot more to help solidify a real bond between players past, present and fans. Would love to see more former players involved in any way or just around the place. I think it would help new players buy into the club a lot more too to see you can build a home here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

The snake to Stoke!  How the mighty have fallen. 

Nobody could have predicted the Man City move would end like that. NOBODY. :P

• Like 2

Jerell Sellars has signed for Cheltenham Town.  There were many who were disappointed that we let him go, so it'll be interesting to see how he does.

Pedro Caixinha has banished Harry Forrester from Rangers’ training ground and warned the Englishman there’s little point in him ever coming back.

Record Sport can reveal Forrester was told to pack his kitbag moments after a workout with Caixinha’s new-look squad on Sunday and ordered to stay away from the Auchenhowie complex for the next two weeks.

And before leaving the stunned 26-year-old midfielder was advised to make the most of his spare time by using it to find another club.

We first revealed last month how Forrester had already fallen foul of hardline disciplinarian Caixinha.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-boss-pedro-caixinha-gets-10619268

Was always rumours around when he was here that he was a bad egg. Good thing for him is he will probably outlast Caixinha and get back in. The lad had talent but 26 and his career is almost already behind him.

Darius Vassell has joined Wolves as their academy striker coach.  Quite surprisingly (to me anyway), he's still only 37.

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Darius Vassell has joined Wolves as their academy striker coach.  Quite surprisingly (to me anyway), he's still only 37.

It's more surprising someone seeking advice on how to score goals from him ;) 

(tbf he was a nice guy)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Jores Okore has joined Aab, Helenius to Odense, to go with Bacuna, Kozak, Holt, Tonev. 

That was the worst transfer season in clubs history

To be fair Okore looked okay until he got the obligatory, "looking good, young prospect at Villa injury" - see RDL & Amavi for last few seasons edition.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:55, BOF said:

Same age as me. We're old school buddies. We played a mean game of ThunderCats back in the day. B) 

Â