Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Best game i've seen from him is in an england shirt, scored a cracking goal from a free kick for U21.

Willing to give him more time personally as i've seen flashes of good play from him.

Best game I saw him play in was against Ajax in the U19 NextGen tournament, scored a hattrick and ran the show against a good Ajax team.

I'm hoping he gets back to full fitness, as I think if he can put his injuries behind him, he can be a first team player for us.

He contributed to us staying up last season. His long shot that Schwarzer couldn't gather and Weimann pounced on to nick an equaliser.

Even if it's just to put a bit of pressure on the opponents goal, we miss having a player that can have a decent effort from 30 yards out.

He contributed to us staying up last season. His long shot that Schwarzer couldn't gather and Weimann pounced on to nick a winner.

Even if it's just to put a bit of pressure on the opponents goal, we miss having a player that can have a decent effort from 30 yards out.

Edited for you. 

Disappointed in him last season.   With all the hype surrounding him I was hoping for someone who would make an impact or at least show great promise.   He did neither.   He looked lost most of the time, got out-muscled, and gave away unnecessary free kicks.   Aside from the shot mentioned above I can only recall a missed free header on goal and a scuffed shot from the edge of the box as his offensive contributions.

I was hoping he just needed to settle in, but he didn't particularly impress in preseason and the injury means he'll have to get his fitness and touch back and settle in all over again.  I don't expect him to play this season and am not counting on him to be a significant contributor next season.   i hope he proves me wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

Lambert has got Delph playing well so no reason why he can't do the same for Gardner. However i do hope Gardner doesn't turn into another Fonz scenario?

Fonz's problems long before they actually manifested in the senior side were around his attitude, commitment and motivation. Gardner has never had those problems so I think you've nothing to be concerned about there. My concerns would be that he doesn't turn into another Darren Anderton scenario. And for that we'll just have to wait and see :(
  • Like 1

Gardner has always had an eye for goal and on rare occasions when the situation demanded it, he played up front for the reserves (he was also the peno taker). He even scored a hat-trick at one point IIRC. So yes, he could absolutely be our attacking mid. The kid has it all. I just wish his body would stop breaking and allow him to develop as a footballer. Back when they were 16/17, he & Wilshere were seen as equals in the England setup. How times change.

Back when they were 16/17, he & Wilshere were seen as equals in the England setup

Yeah remember reading an article years back about the two of them.

It must be hard for someone who knows they're talented to just keep getting serious long term injuries. Hopefully like Delph now he can have a bit of an injury free season and start to develop as a player.

Would be a huge bonus to be able to improve our goal scoring from midfield without spending a penny.

Back when they were 16/17, he & Wilshere were seen as equals in the England setup

Yeah remember reading an article years back about the two of them.

It must be hard for someone who knows they're talented to just keep getting serious long term injuries. Hopefully like Delph now he can have a bit of an injury free season and start to develop as a player.

Would be a huge bonus to be able to improve our goal scoring from midfield without spending a penny.

Out of Jloyd Samuel, Michael Standing, Gareth Barry  - Standing was the one most likley, yet its Barry who has gone on to have the top flight career  -

Gardner has had 2 two major injuries in 2 years - and in his brief spell in the team didn't look anything special - I would say odds are against him making it at villa

Your odds might be right but they are based on appearances as a kid and bad injuries. Those odds will quickly change if he can get a decent run in the side. As it stands, yours looks a decent bet but odds aren't always right.

All the young lads struggled last year under Mcleish. He's got to get fit and stay fit then maybe we will see what he is capable of. He's more talented than his brother. I wish him all the best.

• Like 1

Â