Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Back when they were 16/17, he & Wilshere were seen as equals in the England setup

Yeah remember reading an article years back about the two of them.

It must be hard for someone who knows they're talented to just keep getting serious long term injuries. Hopefully like Delph now he can have a bit of an injury free season and start to develop as a player.

Would be a huge bonus to be able to improve our goal scoring from midfield without spending a penny.

Out of Jloyd Samuel, Michael Standing, Gareth Barry - Standing was the one most likley, yet its Barry who has gone on to have the top flight career -

Gardner has had 2 two major injuries in 2 years - and in his brief spell in the team didn't look anything special - I would say odds are against him making it at villa

Going ot slightly but whatever happened to standing Edited by mikeyp102

Back when they were 16/17, he & Wilshere were seen as equals in the England setup

It must be hard for someone who knows they're talented to just keep getting serious long term injuries. Hopefully like Delph now he can have a bit of an injury free season and start to develop as a player.

Would be a huge bonus to be able to improve our goal scoring from midfield without spending a penny.

Out of Jloyd Samuel, Michael Standing, Gareth Barry - Standing was the one most likley, yet its Barry who has gone on to have the top flight career -

Gardner has had 2 two major injuries in 2 years - and in his brief spell in the team didn't look anything special - I would say odds are against him making it at villa

Going ot slightly but whatever happened to standing

I think he's Gareth Barry's agent.

Lambert has got Delph playing well so no reason why he can't do the same for Gardner. However i do hope Gardner doesn't turn into another Fonz scenario?

Fonz's problems long before they actually manifested in the senior side were around his attitude, commitment and motivation. Gardner has never had those problems so I think you've nothing to be concerned about there. My concerns would be that he doesn't turn into another Darren Anderton scenario. And for that we'll just have to wait and see :(

What i was really getting at was that i don't want the club holding onto the player for the same length of time as they have Fonz in the hope that he fulfils his potential. We seem to be talking quite some time about whether Fonz is going to be good enough when in my view he has never really consistently shown enough ability to be kept in our squad. Hasn't really done it on loan either.

As you rightly point out Gardner doesn't have the same issues as Fonz but does Gardner suffer the same lack of ability to progress? I bought into the hype about Gardner when he was breaking into the first team but when fit have never really been impressed by him.

Both players for me have one more season to show whether they have what it takes to progress (hopefully in the Premiership) and if there is no further progression, then we should not detain them further along with Bannan.

What i was really getting at was that i don't want the club holding onto the player for the same length of time as they have Fonz in the hope that he fulfils his potential. We seem to be talking quite some time about whether Fonz is going to be good enough when in my view he has never really consistently shown enough ability to be kept in our squad. Hasn't really done it on loan either.

You are right in hindsight but Fonz was often even younger than his peers in the reserve side, so he had even more time on his side for the potential to mature. His ability was never really questioned so he was kept in the hope that he would turn into a player that he; consequently; never has. He'll probably move on soon.

As you rightly point out Gardner doesn't have the same issues as Fonz but does Gardner suffer the same lack of ability to progress? I bought into the hype about Gardner when he was breaking into the first team but when fit have never really been impressed by him.

I believe he does have the ability to progress, but he has lost a lot of time through little fault of his own. I understand people who only judge him on his brief appearances in the senior side not being impressed by him. All I'd say to them is that they haven't seen the real him and t.b.h. I've watched him intently when he played for the senior side and I've seen definite promise in his vision, movement and technique. I just implore those who are apt to be prematurely negative in the hope of being proved right in the long run, to maybe show restraint and not call out every mistake the player makes. He won't be Steven Gerrard from the first whistle.

Both players for me have one more season to show whether they have what it takes to progress (hopefully in the Premiership) and if there is no further progression, then we should not detain them further along with Bannan.

Fonz I'd say won't make it here not only because of his lack of progress but because of the progress being made by others like Weimann who have since overtaken him and left him for dust. Centre-mid is in some ways a harder place to impress as a youngster in the Premier League. It's an unforgiving engine room where you're up against guys who will eat you up. It's part of why I think Westwood has had such a good season for us. He has stepped up 2 leagues and not looked out of place doing a job that is typically less than glamourous but more than vital (see Carrick).

You are right in hindsight but Fonz was often even younger than his peers in the reserve side, so he had even more time on his side for the potential to mature. His ability was never really questioned so he was kept in the hope that he would turn into a player that he; consequently; never has. He'll probably move on soon.

I believe he does have the ability to progress, but he has lost a lot of time through little fault of his own. I understand people who only judge him on his brief appearances in the senior side not being impressed by him. All I'd say to them is that they haven't seen the real him and t.b.h. I've watched him intently when he played for the senior side and I've seen definite promise in his vision, movement and technique. I just implore those who are apt to be prematurely negative in the hope of being proved right in the long run to maybe show restraint and not call out every mistake the player makes. He won't be Steven Gerrard from the first whistle.

Fonz I'd say won't make it here not only because of his lack of progress but because of the progress being made by others like Weimann who have since overtaken him and left him for dust. Centre-mid is in some ways a harder place to impress as a youngster in the Premier League. It's an unforgiving engine room where you're up against guys who will eat you up. It's part of why I think Westwood has had such a good season for us. He has stepped up 2 leagues and not looked out of place doing a job that is typically less than glamourous but more than vital (see Carrick).

All good points BOF and not really a lot i disagree with there.

Still not sure whether Gardner has it in him to progress however and even if he does would you play Delph and Gardner in the same midfield or would both be too similar? 

Have stated before that in my view Delph could be in time the midfield enforcer we are missing but the general opinion on here is that Delph is now and will continue to be more of a box to box player. If that is so and if Delph continues his progression where does Gardner fit into our midfield? 

Going ot slightly but whatever happened to standing

I think he's Gareth Barry's agent.

Indeed he is, Has Barry Bannan and Joshua Webb ( Villa u18 right back )  on his books aswell. Pretty sure he was the first agent to approach us about jack aswell...

He really has been so unlucky with injuries but he is young enough to bounce back and he really is a very bright prospect. He can have a big future for us and he has the potential to also play for England if he can come back strong, make up for lost time and stay out of the treatment room. I back Gary to have the will and ability to make this all happen he just needs and deserves some luck (other than the bad luck he has had up to now) on the injury front in the next and coming seasons.      

• Like 1

Still not sure whether Gardner has it in him to progress however and even if he does would you play Delph and Gardner in the same midfield or would both be too similar?

Well I can't make you sure. Only he can do that on the pitch. All I ask is that he get the opportunity and be watched with an open mind :) As for who plays with who? I think Delph & Gardner can play anywhere in central midfield i.e. defensive or attacking, passing or tackling so they could play together, whereas I see Westwood and Sylla as more defensive. It all depends on how Gardner matures as to whether he plays or not.

Have stated before that in my view Delph could be in time the midfield enforcer we are missing but the general opinion on here is that Delph is now and will continue to be more of a box to box player. If that is so and if Delph continues his progression where does Gardner fit into our midfield?

Gardner is everything that Delph is. Perhaps the ideal situation is to have 2 complete midfielders who both complement each other and fill in when the other goes on a run.

I don't think Gardner has ever looked decent in the first team. He's obviously got lots of potential but due to a number of reasons has yet to show any of that for the first team. Someone like carruthers made a brief cameo under Mcleish and looked quite bright and lively but then he's been left out the picture completely this year.

Gardner can't be written off, he has way too much potential to do that at this moment in his career.

I've still not given up on the Fonz. I'd still rather him in the squad than Bowery.

I've still not given up on the Fonz. I'd still rather him in the squad than Bowery.

Along with OBE I was Fonz's biggest fan. I can't talk for OBE but I've pretty much written Fonz off at this point. Bowery has looked promising recently so I see no reason to stop giving him opportunities.

Along with OBE I was Fonz's biggest fan. I can't talk for OBE but I've pretty much written Fonz off at this point. Bowery has looked promising recently so I see no reason to stop giving him opportunities.

I still haven't given up on him, he can still make it here, just needs things to go his way

I think Bowery has looked ok but I still think the Fonz has more potential.

For some reason I still think Fonz could turn into a good player.

• Like 1

Well I can't make you sure. Only he can do that on the pitch. All I ask is that he get the opportunity and be watched with an open mind :) As for who plays with who? I think Delph & Gardner can play anywhere in central midfield i.e. defensive or attacking, passing or tackling so they could play together, whereas I see Westwood and Sylla as more defensive. It all depends on how Gardner matures as to whether he plays or not.

Gardner is everything that Delph is. Perhaps the ideal situation is to have 2 complete midfielders who both complement each other and fill in when the other goes on a run.

Yes that would be the ideal scenario but i'd still be a little worried that there would be an imbalance with the players being too similar in the same way that Lampard and Gerrard were horse shoed in the England team?

Very interesting nonetheless as to see what happens when Gardner is fit to resume?

Good to have him back. Gives us another option

Wont be until next term now. But with a full pre-season behind him, added to the experience gained before injury, then we may well be watching Gary Gardner fulfilling all that potential next season B)

Edited by MagicMushroom

Could Gardner do a job as our attacking midfield player or will he be battling it out with Delph and Westwood? I'm still not 100% sure what his best position is.

On the treatment table...

Lambert has got Delph playing well so no reason why he can't do the same for Gardner. However i do hope Gardner doesn't turn into another Fonz scenario?

Fonz's problems long before they actually manifested in the senior side were around his attitude, commitment and motivation. Gardner has never had those problems so I think you've nothing to be concerned about there. My concerns would be that he doesn't turn into another Darren Anderton scenario. And for that we'll just have to wait and see :(

Couldn't agree more. 

We have to get off the fence with our younger players earlier - we have spent years pissin about with the likes of Bannan, Fonz, Albrighton, - whilst I wish these players well - we have to focus on good ship Aston Villa, - For me,now there should be a massive question mark over Ciaran Clark - He's not young, hasn't sparkled in his first full season. Won't happen of course, we will probably spend another 2 years - waiting for him to show the promise he did at 19.....

Whilst we are umming and arring - the seasons tick buy and our credibility as a major club slips 

Â