Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I'm a huge fan of Guzan, I think he is a terrific keeper who is a great shot stopper and commands his area down to a T. His only downfall is his distribution, and at times he loses his head a little. But you show me a keeper who hasn't made a mistake at the highest level, and... well, i'll be surprised!

He didn't deserve to be dropped in my opinion, but hopefully he'll work on the slightly weaker parts of his game and cement himself in the number 1 spot for the entire season.

played bloody Haiti though, its hardly Mexico

Lol, yeah lets just also discredit his performances against Germany and Netherlands.

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/2015/06/germany-1-usmnt-2.html

they were friendlies though, same way im not going to judge whoever the Villa keeper was yesterday on his performance

If he was shit in the friendly would you have judged him?

• Like 1

Lol, yeah lets just also discredit his performances against Germany and Netherlands.

they were friendlies though, same way im not going to judge whoever the Villa keeper was yesterday on his performance
No doubt! Lol

nope. same way im not judging the Villa players on yesterday performance

Guzan is, for me, a quintessential example of that tough decision of whether a player is merely going through a bit of a blip or is at the start of a terminal decline.  It seems to happen earlier and earlier with players.  I fear he may have peaked.  Ascendancy and descent are weirldy important to football teams.  Just look at how quickly Manchester City went from being fearsomely imperious to looking weirdly knackered and crap.

I certainly agree with posters noticing that he seems to get close to too many shots whilst letting an alarmingly high amount in.  Having said that, not the biggest priority, although I think the talismanic properties of a mighty goalkeeper are really underappreciated.  Having a proud, overseeing golem at the drawbridge does wonders for the troops.

Forgive me if this has been posted before, but, yeah, it's quite interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jul/09/goalkeeper-david-de-gea-petr-cech-iker-casillas

His form for the United States has been excellent. Plus Guzan had a few years on the bench so it's not like he has been playing day in and day out for years. Keepers are also typically the last players to see a decline in skill due to age. 

Why don't we stop making excuses and back our keeper until he proves we shouldn't. It seems Sherwood is willing to give him a second chance, so let's back him. 

• Like 1

His form for the United States has been excellent. Plus Guzan had a few years on the bench so it's not like he has been playing day in and day out for years. Keepers are also typically the last players to see a decline in skill due to age. 

Why don't we stop making excuses and back our keeper until he proves we shouldn't. It seems Sherwood is willing to give him a second chance, so let's back him. 

I very much agree, friend.  Supporting the mighty Villa does seem to bring out the neurotic in us!

I very much agree, friend.  Supporting the mighty Villa does seem to bring out the neurotic in us!

I get the feeling you'll enjoy talking to Snowy and MakemineVanilla.

Maybe best to avoid the rapscallions such as Leemond and Ruge.. maybe that naughty young Scotch fellow, Troon too.

:lol:

• Like 1

Well if Jed Steer is the understudy then absolutely no competition in that department at all. Oh well, Guzan isn't a liability at least even if he doesn't offer much beyond that anymore.

Edited by Isa

Yay I'm glad, not sure whether related or BS but Nixon said Delph staying had changed the equations as we were expecting that money to come in.

Presumably a new goalkeeper is the lowest priority on the shopping list which is what some of us have been saying all along.

Â