Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I'm a huge fan of Guzan, I think he is a terrific keeper who is a great shot stopper and commands his area down to a T. His only downfall is his distribution, and at times he loses his head a little. But you show me a keeper who hasn't made a mistake at the highest level, and... well, i'll be surprised!

I was going to be cheeky and list all the youth keepers from each team but that would be tooooo cheeky. [emoji1]

His form for the United States has been excellent. Plus Guzan had a few years on the bench so it's not like he has been playing day in and day out for years. Keepers are also typically the last players to see a decline in skill due to age.

Why don't we stop making excuses and back our keeper until he proves we shouldn't. It seems Sherwood is willing to give him a second chance, so let's back him.

I'm more interested to know why you have decided to obsess over what he does in a insignificant international tournament to somehow 'prove' that he is a good keeper given that you previously said:

International play doesn't always translate well to club play. Ochoa and Howard had an amazing world cup for their nations, but Ochoa couldn't even start for his club team, and Howard had a poor season.

Edited by Isa

Well if Jed Steer is the understudy then absolutely no competition in that department at all. Oh well, Guzan isn't a liability at least even if he doesn't offer much beyond that anymore.

Would assume the understudy is Mark Bunn - Steer will probably (hopefully) head out on loan again.

Would assume the understudy is Mark Bunn - Steer will probably (hopefully) head out on loan again.

The Birmingham Mail article says Steer will be his understudy. However, re-reading it, it also adds that he is likely to be allowed to leave on loan again. So nevermind.

If I'm honest I am hoping that the statement is designed to help in any on-going/future negotiations for a new GK, so that it doesn't seem our backs are against the wall - wishful (over) thinking probably...

Don't get me wrong, I do really like Guzan, seems a good chap to have around the squad and imo has improved an awful lot in the time since he first joined us. Initially I was far from convinced he was good enough, even for for a No 2 spot considering some early performances and mistakes but he has developed well and I'm not too concerned in principle if he's between the sticks next season.

This said, for me Guzan is a fair to middling keeper by premier league standards which is why I would have liked us to improve in this position and increasingly so since Given has moved on. I haven't seen much of and may be doing an injustice to the young keeper that Lambert bought with him from Norwich but I do think we still need to add another GK to the squad, ideally as a No 1 or at least to provide solid competition to Guzan.

I think it's fairly simple; Sherwood had one or two keepers in mind who he thought might be an improvement, or at least give Brad a proper run for his money. The deals didn't come off for whatever reason and thus he must be reasonably happy to go with the three he has got, including one would assume Brad as number one.

It can't *really* have been a priority if we have stopped the search so abruptly.

Useless style conspiracy time - perhaps the whole keeper search thing was a bit of a ruse to show Brad he's not untouchable, if he hadn't got that message already.

I'm comfortable with him going again...

Useless style conspiracy time - perhaps the whole keeper search thing was a bit of a ruse to show Brad he's not untouchable, if he hadn't got that message already.

I'm comfortable with him going again...

It's not a conspiracy. I don't know if it was intentional, but that will certainly be the message that has been spent.

Add that to what I've been saying all along, that him being dropped last season will put pressure on him to keep his form up, and Brad will be easily kept on his toes this season.

I don't know if that'll be enough to overturn the VT goalkeeper curse though.

His form for the United States has been excellent. Plus Guzan had a few years on the bench so it's not like he has been playing day in and day out for years. Keepers are also typically the last players to see a decline in skill due to age.

Why don't we stop making excuses and back our keeper until he proves we shouldn't. It seems Sherwood is willing to give him a second chance, so let's back him.

I'm more interested to know why you have decided to obsess over what he does in a insignificant international tournament to somehow 'prove' that he is a good keeper given that you previously said:

International play doesn't always translate well to club play. Ochoa and Howard had an amazing world cup for their nations, but Ochoa couldn't even start for his club team, and Howard had a poor season.

Because I was making a point that Guzan's mistakes last season were not caused by old age as was being discussed. You can easily quote my posts that are weeks apart, but if they have zero context, then you just look foolish. 

Because I was making a point that Guzan's mistakes last season were not caused by old age as was being discussed. You can easily quote my posts that are weeks apart, but if they have zero context, then you just look foolish.

It wasn't specific to that one post, as was insinuated. It was in reference to the overall big deal being made of games against the likes of Honduras and Haiti. The irrelevence of such being sufficiently highlighted by your earlier comment.

It wasn't specific to that one post, as was insinuated. It was in reference to the overall big deal being made of games against the likes of Honduras and Haiti. The irrelevence of such being sufficiently highlighted by your earlier comment.

So am I meant to not post Guzan's progress in the a major tournament? I never said that Guzan is playing well for USA so we can expect big things from him for this season. 

on the Gold CUp. Why is it always in USA and Mexico.

not very fair

The rest of the teams are shit?

meant hosting

as for Infrastructure look at South America they have rotated the Copa America and has built good stadiums in poor countries and has made it a more competitive tournament

Uppermost in my reasons for keeping Guzan is his nickname.  I like that we have a Goose in our team.  If he goes I may spend a good hour or two at work wondering about animal nicknames for the rest of the team.

It's all about priorities...

Â