Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I don't think what Guzan does in a no-mark tournament against a bunch of minnows will prove anything either way.

Unless he'd made a cock up, of course.

In that case the knives would be out, make no mistake.

• Like 1

Well even the wife is having a go at him now ;)

Brad GuzanUnited States men's national team goalkeeper, is sitting there watching the Women's World Cup final with his teammates when USWNT star Carli Lloyd completes her hat trick with a jaw-dropping long-range strike. A few minutes later, his phone beeps. It's a series of text messages from his wife. Guzan takes a look at them, and sighs.                                                              Last season Guzan had a similar goal scored on him when Jonjo Shelvey bombed a shot over his head from almost the same spot Lloyd hit her shot from. Spouses never let you forget your most embarrassing moments, do they?

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2015/7/5/8899353/brad-guzan-wife-drops-major-shade-over-carli-lloyd-wondergoal-uswnt

EDIT: I cant post the texts but its in the link. I think he took it in good humour anyway :)

Edited by Zatman

Amid rumours of a potential summer departure, Aston Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan has told ESPN Soccer Today that he expects to be back at the club next season to compete for his old number one spot.

Guzan, 30, entered last term as Villa’s undisputed first choice following two stellar seasons between the posts, but he ended the campaign on the bench after a horrific blunder in the early stages of April’s 3-2 defeat at Manchester City saw him dropped for Shay Given.

With his run of 108 Premier League starts over, the US international is now reported to be facing an uncertain future at the club, as manager Tim Sherwood continues to revamp his squad in his first transfer window in charge [h/t Mirror].

A new shot-stopper is believed to be on his wishlist, with the likes of Stoke's Asmir Begovic [h/t Sky Sports] and Brentford’s David Button [h/t Telegraph] named as recent targets, suggesting that Guzan might soon be heading for the Villa Park exit door.

However, ahead of starting for the US national team at the upcoming CONCACAF Gold Cup, the former Chivas USAkeeper has stressed that he has been given no indication that Sherwood plans to ship him out and intends to return to battle for a place in the line-up.

“I’m obviously looking forward to getting back and, from my understanding, it will be with Villa,” he told ESPN Soccer Today. “I will be going back and competing to hopefully earn back the number one spot, and that’s all you want.

“You just want that opportunity to compete and be selected on merit. You want to be able to help the team, and that’s what I want to do. I want to be playing and be the guy to count on week in, week out.”

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/07/06/despite-exit-rumours-brad-guzan-expecting-aston-villa-stay/

Quite an interesting table in this article that compares his stats over the seasons.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

Guzan made a mistake and Sherwood dropped him, but we were in the middle of a relegation battle so Sherwood was merely looking out for the team in doing that. I fully expect Guzan to be number 1 and starting the first game of the season..

I want him starting as number 1. Top banana that bloke!

With Given now gone and Bergovic (sp?) Looking increasing likely to join Chelsea, I think he may very well start the season as number 1.

We probably need a better back up than Steer. Question is does Sherwood push for a back up keeper, go for a new #1 and expect Guzan to fit for the spot, or just go with Guzan #1 and Steer #2? 

We probably need a better back up than Steer. Question is does Sherwood push for a back up keeper, go for a new #1 and expect Guzan to fit for the spot, or just go with Guzan #1 and Steer #2?

Depends what is left in the transfer kitty.

Edited by KSV

Guzan made a mistake and Sherwood dropped him, but we were in the middle of a relegation battle so Sherwood was merely looking out for the team in doing that. I fully expect Guzan to be number 1 and starting the first game of the season..

Why expect that when Sherwood is clearly looking for someone else, hence bidding for Begovic. 

Maybe Sherwood is willing to go for a GK he thinks is an improvement but is satisfied with going into the season with Guzan as No.1 if he can't find anything that's within the budget and a significant improvement?

I hope that's the case anyway.

It's only been 45 minutes, but Guzan has been fantastic against Honduras. Honduras have largely been the aggressor this first half and have had the majority of chances, all of which Guzan has saved. Guzan is gobbling any aerial balls no matter what contact he is receiving. He also intercepted a break away ball about 15 yards out of his box stopping the play. 

Really impressed with him so far. 

• Like 2

It's only been 45 minutes, but Guzan has been fantastic against Honduras. Honduras have largely been the aggressor this first half and have had the majority of chances, all of which Guzan has saved. Guzan is gobbling any aerial balls no matter what contact he is receiving. He also intercepted a break away ball about 15 yards out of his box stopping the play.

Really impressed with him so far.

Was right on the touch line on his side in the first half. Made a great save early in the match and was solid throughout except for mishandling a fairly easy ball. His kicking looked a lot better tonight, too. Edited by Raymond

With Given gone I'd much rather buy a young and upcoming goalkeeper to be number 2 and challenge Guzan in the future, rather than spend £10m on someone like Begovic.

A bit like Stoke did with Butland.

I have no issue with Sherwood dropping any player if someone else deserves his position more. I simply hope that brad will be given a real opportunity to earn it back.... with given gone, i would expect a replacement for him and a scrap for the starting berth between new keeper and brad, which I believe would be good for the club...

we should have competition in each spot and a manager willing to make the hard decisions and pick on form....

him playing blinders for the us can only be to our benefit - coming back full of confidence is exactly what we want...

With Given gone I'd much rather buy a young and upcoming goalkeeper to be number 2 and challenge Guzan in the future, rather than spend £10m on someone like Begovic.

A bit like Stoke did with Butland.

tolly agree.

I may be biased but signing Mat Ryan would be really good. He is so young yet hes won the asian cup with Australia and played in europe with Club Brugge. Hes been the best keeper in that league for the last two seasons. He will be cheap as well. I imagine he would be happy to play second fiddle for a season or two. Potential to be a great goalkeeper.

Â