Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 29/03/2024 at 11:04, Chindie said:

Hunted isn't 'real' as in it's a straight game where what is shown is what happened and nothing is artificial, but everything is meant to be done within the realms of reality. Hacking a Facebook account I think might be pushing it, but if we assume the series gives the hunters the full extent of any power the police might have you can probably justify their hacking a social media account.

We quite like the series but it's hilarious how bad people are at it, and how much the show sometimes has to pull it's punches to let people have a chance of winning. Like, you're going on the run for a month, with limited cash, and at some point you're going to given an instruction to get to a specific place at a specific time to 'win' - you probably shouldn't go home, use a phone, especially to call close family, go anywhere near a big city or use a major train line, or contact anyone within your direct circle of friends and family. But all they do it.

It's completely manufactured.

At fist I gave it the benefit of the doubt that it was a bit dramatised but they genuinely were doing what they said they were doing.

Now I'm utterly convinced they know exactly where everyone is at all times. They could catch them at any time

On 03/04/2024 at 10:31, turvontour said:

Chupa chups lollies are basically wrapped so that they can't be opened by children. Is that deliberate? 

All lollipops are packaged in the most un-child friendly way. Sometimes even I cannot open them.

I reckon there’s a huge gap in the market for lollys that are not a **** nightmare to open

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

All lollipops are packaged in the most in-child friendly way. Sometimes even I cannot open them.

I reckon there’s a huge gap in the market for lollys that are not a **** nightmare to open

Forget kids, sometimes I can't open them. With scissors. 

• Like 2

On 03/04/2024 at 10:31, turvontour said:

Chupa chups lollies are basically wrapped so that they can't be opened by children. Is that deliberate? 

And can't be eaten by adults without breaking teeth. I solve both problems by opening them with a hammer. 

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

And can't be eaten by adults without breaking teeth. I solve both problems by opening them with a hammer. 

Cut out the middle man and just smash your teeth with the hammer. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Why are there so many accounts on here that start with Rodders? 

Instead of shortening it to Rds?

2 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Instead of shortening it to Rds?

My initials. What is Rodders short for? 

Don't say "because he has little legs".

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Rodney?

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Or Roderick

I'm in my 40s and can count on one hand the number of Rodney's that I've met and fairly certain I've never met a Roderick.

Am I a weird outlier and they're common names?

11 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm in my 40s and can count on one hand the number of Rodney's that I've met and fairly certain I've never met a Roderick.

Am I a weird outlier and they're common names?

Rod Stewart is a Roderick (not that I expect you’ve met him)

Given the sheer amount of famous people with either name, they can’t be that uncommon

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, bickster said:

Or Roderick

Most people seem to think Rod Stewart's name is Rodney. I went to see The Faces supported by Long John Baldry in the 70s, and the teenybopper girls annoyingly chanted "Rod-nee! Rod-nee!" all through Baldry's set. 

His name is Roderick. 

EDIT: Bicks beat me to it. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Is fraudulent payment of other people’s credit card bills a big thing?

I’d like to book a hotel in London. No problem.

oh, and a hotel in Exeter. No problem.

oh and one just outside Hay, plus some festival tickets. No problem.

And some tickets for a show, a meal, and some late night drinks. No problem.

OK, time to pay my credit card bill… Well hold on there pilgrim, how do we know you are who you say you are trying to pay a credit card bill? We need some extra id checks.

Every month.

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Is fraudulent payment of other people’s credit card bills a big thing?

I’d like to book a hotel in London. No problem.

oh, and a hotel in Exeter. No problem.

oh and one just outside Hay, plus some festival tickets. No problem.

And some tickets for a show, a meal, and some late night drinks. No problem.

OK, time to pay my credit card bill… Well hold on there pilgrim, how do we know you are who you say you are trying to pay a credit card bill? We need some extra id checks.

Every month.

Weird. I've never experienced that. 

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

You always need to authenticate with your bank before you can make a payment, whatever it is for. Most people use their fingerprint in their bank's app.

Â