Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Why in the Fugitive film they chose to use a one-armed assassin.  It's no surprise he botched the job and got tracked down fairly easily by Kimble.

If I was being critical I would say it’s another example of ableism (or whatever) whereby to showcase that the villain is indeed a villain, has to have some disfigurement or disability. The last Bond film received some flak for the villain having facial scars.

I do however like the line “It wasn’t me, it was the one armed man!”. It has a nice cadence or something about it. But I was made aware of the line from it being referenced in The Mask.

Have I got enough interest to click on the full English Breakfast thread and catch up on my 15 odd pages to see what the hell you nutters have continued talking about. 

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

Have I got enough interest to click on the full English Breakfast thread and catch up on my 15 odd pages to see what the hell you nutters have continued talking about. 

The addition of a solitary profiterole was the final straw for me.

• Haha 4

It is said 'you can't be offside from a corner'.

Picture this scenario - the ball is placed on the very edge of the corner arc, a yard back from the goal line. The corner is 'taken short', passed forward to a player stood on the goal line in an offside position (the player has received a forward pass with fewer than two opposition players closer to the goal line).

Would that be called offside or does 'you can't be offside from a corner' override the technicality of this offside?

12 minutes ago, brommy said:

Picture this scenario - the ball is placed on the very edge of the corner arc, a yard back from the goal line. The corner is 'taken short', passed forward to a player stood on the goal line in an offside position (the player has received a forward pass with fewer than two opposition players closer to the goal line).

Would that be called offside or does 'you can't be offside from a corner' override the technicality of this offside?

i think the law states  ,  There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

a goal kick , throw-in or a corner kick 

so presumably the position is irrelevant 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, brommy said:

As soon as first player receives ball normal offside applies

• Thanks 1

On this subject. As long as I have watched football, at corners the ball always sat in the quadrant. Now they always seem to be outside overhanging in. Can it really make that much of a difference. 

59 minutes ago, bickster said:

As soon as first player receives ball normal offside applies

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

i think the law states  ,  There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

a goal kick , throw-in or a corner kick 

so presumably the position is irrelevant 

So the 'cant be offside from a corner' overrides the player actually being offside (forward from where the corner was taken).

What got me wondering was the habit over the last few years of placing the corner ball almost outside the arc and almost a yard from the goal line. Easily enough distance for VAR to draw an offside line, should the ball be played forward to a player on the goal line.

45 minutes ago, phily85 said:

I think it's already common knowledge that it was the dog

Correct.  

It didn't even run to the nearest human to summon help.    It also went "missing" shortly afterwards.  Nor has it denied the killing.  

I saw it a few weeks afterwards wagging it's tail.  

Guilty as hell. 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Spelling mishsteaks
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Correct.  

It didn't even run to the nearest human to summon health.   It also went "missing" shortly afterwards.  Nor has it denied the killing.  

I saw it a few weeks afterwards wagging it's tail.  

Guilty as hell. 

Woof justice. 

• Haha 1

Cured meat - I ain't a bad home chef, but I've never got my head round how cured meat works. Sometimes I wake up in the night and think about Prosciutto, how did it get there, why does it last so long? Is it okay to eat? Does it even go off? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Cured meat - I ain't a bad home chef, but I've never got my head round how cured meat works. Sometimes I wake up in the night and think about Prosciutto, how did it get there, why does it last so long? Is it okay to eat? Does it even go off? 

Salt is the answer I think. It removes the moisture therefore slowing down any deterioration. 

I'm sure ships used to sail with barrels of salted meats (kw) that would last ages. 

40 minutes ago, Xela said:

Salt is the answer I think. It removes the moisture therefore slowing down any deterioration. 

I'm sure ships used to sail with barrels of salted meats (kw) that would last ages. 

I did not know that. So is it moisture that makes meat go off? Very interesting this.

Â