Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

I once flew on a Bulgarian state carrier (just after the collapse of the Bloc), I don't know the exact model but it was Russian (obv), you could literally see the rivets in the plane and some of them were definitely rotating.

The aircrew just kept us plied with enough alcohol so it didn't matter (I particularly remember something they described as Red Champagne :D ), free cigarettes even (make it hazy so they cant see the rivets) and yes we hit turbulence too.

That was nothing compared to the taxi drivers in the resort. I was convinced the Bulgarians had a secret plot to dominate the World Rally Championships and Borovets was the training school :crylaugh: 

You could be describing 1989 or 7pm last night. BG air have bought lots of A380's but the feel of them seems like they were bought off a bloke called Mitko after he lost a poker game.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2024 at 12:42, Anthony said:

I wonder if people could choose what plane to fly on, would anyone choose Boeing? 

Considering what happened to the Boeing whistleblower John Barnett, I will put on record I love Boeing's and they are in no way poorly built and dangerous. 

Why are some chippies so, so good and others just dog awful.

I'm talking about proper chippies, not those serving up frozen from a bag chips/fries. 

OK, I understand there will be some bottom feeders who never change the oil and use the nastiest potato's going. 

But there is still a huge difference between the really good ones and the bad ones

Not even as simple as some use beef dripping either. 

The best are often on the coast I think? 

I'd just love to know what it is they do, is it a huge amount of work extra?  Why can't everyone just be half decent at it? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Why are some chippies so, so good and others just dog awful.

I'm talking about proper chippies, not those serving up frozen from a bag chips/fries. 

OK, I understand there will be some bottom feeders who never change the oil and use the nastiest potato's going. 

But there is still a huge difference between the really good ones and the bad ones

Not even as simple as some use beef dripping either. 

The best are often on the coast I think? 

I'd just love to know what it is they do, is it a huge amount of work extra?  Why can't everyone just be half decent at it? 

Personally, I think you get one or two very good chippies on the coast but a load of very shit chippies just cashing in too because of the location. I would guess (prove me wrong, please) that City Centres where there's a less seasonal demand are probably more consistent - But then again, maybe they're offering more, I imagine coastal chippies are very focussed on just fish and chips, whereas City Centre chippies probably more expansive with their menu. Profound.  

9 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Personally, I think you get one or two very good chippies on the coast but a load of very shit chippies just cashing in too because of the location. I would guess (prove me wrong, please) that City Centres where there's a less seasonal demand are probably more consistent - But then again, maybe they're offering more, I imagine coastal chippies are very focussed on just fish and chips, whereas City Centre chippies probably more expansive with their menu. Profound.  

There's no clear pattern. F&C tends to taste nicer at the coast, but I think that a psychological phenomenon, due to 'holiday mood'. 

The best around my way come from a kiosk in a park in Ilkley. 

It's like any other form of catering - easy to do badly, not so easy to do well. Quality of ingredients (which of course affects price) and skill in preparation. 

Will media commentators ever be able to mention X, without adding 'formerly known as Twitter'?

It's been eight months now. 

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Will media commentators ever be able to mention X, without adding 'formerly known as Twitter'?

'X' just doesn't resonate.  Even now if I hear X I do not instantly think of the social media platform (which I happen to use multiple times a day).

Everybody knew and knows Twitter.

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

'X' just doesn't resonate.  Even now if I hear X I do not instantly think of the social media platform (which I happen to use multiple times a day).

Everybody knew and knows Twitter.

Well, exactly. It was a rhetorical question, really. Stupid marketing. 

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well, exactly. It was a rhetorical question, really. Stupid marketing. 

Yeah, Musk is dumb as ****.  His fortune is a classic example of right place right time.

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

A bit like the early days of the internet

Go to WWW. 

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Are The Last Dinner Party this years Wet Leg?

they might be the worst band since <<insert anything @bickster listens to >>

couple of my mates tried to convince me to go see them , one brief visit to youtube was enough for me to say "I'd rather kiss a yaks butt" 

i saw  Wet Leg supporting Pulp last year .. instantly forgettable and not just because of the 270 litres of Strongbow I drunk  

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Are The Last Dinner Party this years Wet Leg?

Nah, if anything, they are the new Florence and the Machine

Wet Leg are quirky Indie, Last Dinner Party have much loftier ambitions

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

they might be the worst band since <<insert anything @bickster listens to >>

Well this morning it was Sparks Number One Song in Heaven album followed by Bill Ryder-Jones' latest album Iechyd Da

Both of which are infinitely better than Big Country and Shed Seven :D  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Sparks Number One Song in Heaven 

If I was your music player I'd be trying to jump into a bath tub full of water to put myself out of my misery   , my god that song is dreadful  ..

I'd rather listen to Last dinner party  ( assuming Dignitas isn't an option ) 

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Both of which are infinitely better than Big Country and Shed Seven :D  

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I don't think so, because X is uniquely bad as an identifier. It's not just that Twitter was one of the most recognisable brands on the internet, it's that X is literally a generic placeholder designed to be non-specific in common parlance. I get that this was his masterplan. It's just so bewilderingly stupid. Not  even getting into the other connotations the letter X brings up on the internet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

If I was your music player I'd be trying to jump into a bath tub full of water to put myself out of my misery   , my god that song is dreadful  ..

Lay off the shandy and you might come to appreciate the genius of the Mael brothers in collaboration with Giorgio Moroder, the undisuted king of the syncopated synth :D 

On 17/03/2024 at 07:41, bickster said:

Depends, is the alternative Tupolev?

True. You could say, swapping out of a Boeing only gives you ... the ilyushin of safety.

Spoiler

a6cc0267aaa246f389abe15bc12db186.png

I'm so sorry.

• Haha 2

Â