Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

What is the percentage of direct free kicks scored in professional football? I feel like it's dropped a lot over the last few year but I've no idea if that's true or not.

1 hour ago, Chine said:

Do dogs find things funny ? Do they have a sense of humour. My wife thinks yes ,I think no

If I remember correctly, laughter comes from a response to fear that's evolved throughout the years, almost a relief from the setup of a joke (don't quote me, but I'm sure that's a thing, it was in a book once). And Apes laugh when they're tickled, so I would guess dogs probably laugh too, just maybe not as we know it.

• Like 1

Why do 95% of the blokes going to Cheltenham dress like Peaky Blinders now?

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't think it's just those going to Cheltenham, it's everywhere. I've turned fellas away from one of my events before because they've turned up dressed like that. 

23 hours ago, Chine said:

Do dogs find things funny ? Do they have a sense of humour. My wife thinks yes ,I think no

I would think so, we know they can feel scared, lonely, happy, angry, excited etc so it would make sense they can feel other emotions like humour but maybe what they find funny and how they express that could be hard to tell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I only ever went a couple of times but these guys (predominantly scouse) ruined it for me. All lagered up and looking for a ruck from the moments the gates opened. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

They've been ordered to. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Was talking about the Royal Rumble earlier. Memories of it from 1993, Yokozuna winning, might be irrelevant to most. Was intrigued as to how many of those wrestlers were still alive. 

Of the 30, 24 are still alive. One of the dead was Owen Hart (obviously a tragic accident), one of them died from natural causes last week. The others, the average age of death was 44 years old. 

Stay off the 'gear lads.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Was talking about the Royal Rumble earlier. Memories of it from 1993, Yokozuna winning, might be irrelevant to most. Was intrigued as to how many of those wrestlers were still alive. 

Of the 30, 24 are still alive. One of the dead was Owen Hart (obviously a tragic accident), one of them died from natural causes last week. The others, the average age of death was 44 years old. 

Stay off the 'gear lads.

My enduring memory is Randy Savage (now deceased), trying to pin Yokozuna before being eliminated.  What were you doing Randy!?  No pinfalls mate!

24/30 seems a decent return of wrestlers for a Rumble that old.  I actually think you may find later Rumbles with more dead wrestlers than that.  Well that's my fun task for the day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

My enduring memory is Randy Savage (now deceased), trying to pin Yokozuna before being eliminated.  What were you doing Randy!?  No pinfalls mate!

24/30 seems a decent return of wrestlers for a Rumble that old.  I actually think you may find later Rumbles with more dead wrestlers than that.  Well that's my fun task for the day.

Yeah vague memory of two wrestlers trying to pick Yokozuna up and throw him out the ring too (although that's a very blurry memory). Would be interested to see your findings if you do dig out the data sir.

@T-Dog

So because I have absolutely nothing better to do other than work (yuk) I've ran the following 10 years worth of Rumbles.

Some scary numbers in there and over a third of 1995 field are now deceased.  Even 2000 trumps 1993's total.

Year      Deaths
1994 7
1995 11
1996 5
1997 6
1998 3
1999 7
2000 7
2001 3
2002 3
2003 4

My next task is to find the most recent Rumble with all 30 participants still alive.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Stay off the 'gear lads.

I think the more time goes on the less people will attribute this stuff to steroids.

I'm sure it had effects in some cases.

But I think the general lifestyle of being an on the road wrestler which led to heavy recreational drug use, non recreational drug addiction (eg painkillers) and drinking, plus the mental health issues and, maybe most importantly, head injuries are what led to more wrestler deaths than steroids

(This is in no way a defence of steroid abuse)

Edited by Stevo985

15 hours ago, choffer said:

I only ever went a couple of times but these guys (predominantly scouse) ruined it for me. All lagered up and looking for a ruck from the moments the gates opened. 

If only it was just the lager.

*sniff*

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

@T-Dog

So because I have absolutely nothing better to do other than work (yuk) I've ran the following 10 years worth of Rumbles.

Some scary numbers in there and over a third of 1995 field are now deceased.  Even 2000 trumps 1993's total.

Year      Deaths
1994 7
1995 11
1996 5
1997 6
1998 3
1999 7
2000 7
2001 3
2002 3
2003 4

My next task is to find the most recent Rumble with all 30 participants still alive.

Please let us know as soon as you establish that. 

Edited by sidcow

51 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Please let us know as soon as you establish that. 

Of course, I'd never tease like that and then not deliver the goods

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

@T-Dog

Year      Deaths
1994 7
1995 11
1996 5
1997 6
1998 3
1999 7
2000 7
2001 3
2002 3
2003 4

I'm kinda surprised Hulk Hogan is still going based off his 'vitamins' usage,  lifestyle and health issues.

Entry for next year's deadpool if I ever partake.

5 hours ago, mottaloo said:

If only it was just the lager.

*sniff*

A pal of mine went to the boxing once... massive queues for the mens toilets. Not for the urinals, everyone waiting for a cubicle! 

A boxing crowd must outrank a darts crowd for bellends?

• Like 1

Â