Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Is fraudulent payment of other people’s credit card bills a big thing?

I’d like to book a hotel in London. No problem.

oh, and a hotel in Exeter. No problem.

oh and one just outside Hay, plus some festival tickets. No problem.

And some tickets for a show, a meal, and some late night drinks. No problem.

OK, time to pay my credit card bill… Well hold on there pilgrim, how do we know you are who you say you are trying to pay a credit card bill? We need some extra id checks.

Every month.

Have you ever tried to pay cash into someone else’s bank account :D 

I tried to pay money into my missus' account, in her branch, knowing all her details and they wanted all kinds of ID from me which I didn’t have on me as I wasn’t expecting the Spanish Inquisition, so had to go back to the office to get my ID. So much easier with her card and doing it at the machine (which was out of order) :D 

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

Have you ever tried to pay cash into someone else’s bank account :D 

I tried to pay money into my missus' account, in her branch, knowing all her details and they wanted all kinds of ID from me which I didn’t have on me as I wasn’t expecting the Spanish Inquisition, so had to go back to the office to get my ID. So much easier with her card and doing it at the machine (which was out of order) :D 

You went into a bank? Don't think I've done that in decades.

Like @limpid says, do it on the app. 

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You went into a bank? Don't think I've done that in decades.

Like @limpid says, do it on the app. 

It was a few years ago and we’d won a couple of hundred quid on a lottery ticket. I just didn’t want to be walking around with the extra cash on me. It was just amusing because had the machine been working, I could have paid it in with the card but no, go to a human and… there’s different rules :D 

I do think it’s the only time I’ve been into a bank on personal business for a very long time and that branch is now shut!

You can’t pay cash in on an app :D 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

It was a few years ago and we’d won a couple of hundred quid on a lottery ticket. I just didn’t want to be walking around with the extra cash on me. It was just amusing because had the machine been working, I could have paid it in with the card but no, go to a human and… there’s different rules :D 

I do think it’s the only time I’ve been into a bank on personal business for a very long time and that branch is now shut!

You can’t pay cash in on an app :D 

Oh, cash. Fair enough. 

I’ve had an issue with my bank that I was being paid ‘little and often’ for a period of time. Essentially it was piece work and expenses, plus I was then paying others. So on a daily basis I had lots of money in and out. Pay in £500 from work, then £100 expenses, then £35 bonus money, but pay out £180 for a landscaper, £100 for a hotel, £50 for petrol. Some as cash, some on cards, even some cheques where it was for planning permission or whatever.

But that was pretty much on a daily basis for a few of months.

I had a phone call from the bank, saying the nature of the activity was such that it triggered their threshold for informing the police it was suspicious activity!

How many county lines gangs are cashing cheques for £130 from Hertfordshire Planning Authority? How many drug dealers are transferring money to an arboriculturist?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

How many county lines gangs are cashing cheques for £130 from Hertfordshire Planning Authority? How many drug dealers are transferring money to an arboriculturist?

They wouldn't have told you if they suspected it was true, they’d just have closed the account on you

• Like 1

If VTers that I have on "ignore" also can't see what I post (unless a different user quotes me) ?

I am assuming they can't see my posts 🤔

On 05/04/2024 at 19:01, Rds1983 said:

Why are there so many accounts on here that start with Rodders? 

I never got an answer…

On 04/01/2024 at 13:34, Stevo985 said:

Why are so many villa fans called Rodders?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I never got an answer…

Guess you must have planted the seed in my brain with your post.

8 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

They're all different accounts for Rod Stewart.

Possibly. I don't want to talk about it. 

• Like 2

On 07/04/2024 at 17:41, chrisp65 said:

I had a phone call from the bank, saying the nature of the activity was such that it triggered their threshold for informing the police it was suspicious activity!

If it triggers the threshold for informing the Police they should/would not tell you.  

Nothing you describe warrants a referral.  

Were they trying to convert your personal account to a business account? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

If it triggers the threshold for informing the Police they should/would not tell you.  

Suspicions Activity Reports

https://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/what-we-do/crime-threats/money-laundering-and-illicit-finance/suspicious-activity-reports

12 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The whole thing was weird. It was patently obviously not criminal, I’d been there years and the money was going to and from established businesses and local authorities. There was a concerted effort at upselling to an account I had to pay for.

I suspect I was the last man standing still actually using that branch and they wanted to close it. Since then, the branch I was transferred to has also closed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The whole thing was weird. It was patently obviously not criminal, I’d been there years and the money was going to and from established businesses and local authorities. There was a concerted effort at upselling to an account I had to pay for.

I suspect I was the last man standing still actually using that branch and they wanted to close it. Since then, the branch I was transferred to has also closed.

It seems to be an underhand way to get you to open a different account. 

Personally, I would complain and ask for a transcript of the conversation. 

I have dealt with many suspicious activity reports (SARS) in my previous job. They simply aren't used for the activity you describe.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

It seems to be an underhand way to get you to open a different account. 

Personally, I would complain and ask for a transcript of the conversation. 

I have dealt with many suspicious activity reports (SARS) in my previous job. They simply aren't used for the activity you describe.  

I've similarly dealt with and audited SARS in the past. If they genuinely suspected something and then told him that would be tipping off and a crime in it's own right.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I've similarly dealt with and audited SARS in the past. If they genuinely suspected something and then told him that would be tipping off and a crime in it's own right.

Exactly. 

The person making the SARS report is only reporting a suspicion. They have no way of knowing if there's a reasonable explanation or its linked to a massive terrorism plot. 

A clown telling the customer that they "almost" submitted a SARS has no way of knowing that there aren't other active reports being investigated.  

In my opinion it's serious misconduct by the bank employee.  They are either lying as a sales technique or breaching several laws regarding SARS.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Why in the Fugitive film they chose to use a one-armed assassin.  

It was THE iconic plot element of the original TV series, they dared not change it. 

Edited by mjmooney

Â