Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Didn’t look at it that way . I just thought they were being money grabbing clearings in the woods. What cracked me more than anything was the missus used it 3 times in the space of an hour . Instead of drawing enough out, she forgot she needed more for whatever reason. I felt like putting her head through the cash machine . 

The other thing to remember is that they only exist because the banks started shutting down their own networks that are free to save money (and their branches)

1 minute ago, bickster said:

The other thing to remember is that they only exist because the banks started shutting down their own networks that are free to save money (and their branches)

Fair one.  The one on holiday where we had to pay  was shut down in the end because they suspected fraud .

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I think that podcast strikes up a decent balance, it doesn't slag them off because he knows that these guys are loved but he explores the darker side of them

There's a really good one about why Marvin Gayes dad shot him and I think the Sam Cooke one is good too

Marvin Gaye one would be interesting 

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m stuck between two sides here. There’s a logic to the expanded use of ‘cash free’, we have had a problem previously with people finding it difficult to resist dipping in to the bag of takings. But I resent the vast wealth it generates for parasite software companies.

I don't think that using a small provider like Sumup means that any money goes to software companies.

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Race Night is a massive money earner, but I can’t see dabbing £2 and winning £10 back via an app having the same appeal as winning actual cash. 

Use some kind of tokens and make a big deal of "cashing out".

• Like 1

On 12/08/2021 at 18:49, El Zen said:

Leather card holder for debit cards, ID and license. Never carry cash anymore

Haven’t even seen anyone carry a wallet for ages. 

tenor.gif

On 12/08/2021 at 18:51, Xela said:

Least no-one has admitted to using their leather phone case as a wallet. They would need to get in the bin straight away. 

I bought leather(ish) phone holders for my first couple of phones, ones that you could fix to your belt before I realised they were pointless and I never once used them. 

Obviously in those days mobiles were a lot bulkier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

How many people we know on here or have met on here. I mean we never really know who we are talking to by user name.

Last time I remember counting it was in the high 20s, I think @tonyh29was the only person to be beat me

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

Last time I remember counting it was in the high 20s, I think @tonyh29was the only person to be beat me

Majority of people I met don’t post any more 

I’m sure that’s just a coincidence though :) 

• Haha 4

On 13/08/2021 at 19:58, limpid said:

Have you asked your insurers whether they would reduce your premiums if you aren't handling any cash? I'm curious, because the risks from theft and robbery for a cash business must be measurable actuarially and therefore able to be deducted.

I moved offices recently and the nature of my business has changed . We used to handle a lot of “cash” for incentive money that’s now all done directly on line … the premiums dropped quite drastically as a result when I went through it with the insurance company .. as did the alarm requirements they had insisted on from my rented premises ( building has a generic alarm and they wanted one per room , which they dropped once the cash issue had gone away )

• Like 1

I may have mused this before...

If I had a year off, rented a nice cottage in the country, overlooking a river or something nice like that, and If I dedicated a few hours a day to it, could I write a good novel? 

Does everyone got a book in them? I like to think I have a few decent ideas but would it have been done before?

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I may have mused this before...

If I had a year off, rented a nice cottage in the country, overlooking a river or something nice like that, and If I dedicated a few hours a day to it, could I write a good novel? 

Does everyone got a book in them? I like to think I have a few decent ideas but would it have been done before?

My mate wrote a book and self published it. He road a bike for shits and giggles from JOG to Gibraltar. He then wrote a a book of the journey. I read it basically as I wanted to see if I was mentioned but even as someone with disdain (at best) towards cycling I found it entertaining. He said everyone has a book in them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Tbf, strange pen name aside I thought you’d already been doing that with your recent countryside visits.

image.jpeg.5807498f707a9c3480e385e663cad947.jpeg

I do have the upmost sympathy with the eponymous antlered ungulate :) 

• Like 1

A former work colleague of mine (sadly no longer with us) was insanely talented. Gifted artist, musician (violin), composer (wrote a symphony, among other works) and novelist. Couldn't get a publisher interested, so he vanity published small runs. I read one, and it was really good - sort of Tom Sharpe meets Terry Pratchett. While far, far worse shite sells in bucketloads. 

51 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My mate wrote a book and self published it. He road a bike for shits and giggles from JOG to Gibraltar. He then wrote a a book of the journey. I read it basically as I wanted to see if I was mentioned but even as someone with disdain (at best) towards cycling I found it entertaining. He said everyone has a book in them. 

Was this him preparing to cross the channel?

spacer.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

High Street stores with 3 floors and an attic stretching back about 100ft selling knick knacks and shite.

How is this profitable.

Upper floors are as good as free, the back end of deep floors are as good as free.

If you sell anything that you had on a shelf at the back of the second floor, you’ve had a result.

Â