Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

17 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My mate wrote a book and self published it. He road a bike for shits and giggles from JOG to Gibraltar. He then wrote a a book of the journey. I read it basically as I wanted to see if I was mentioned but even as someone with disdain (at best) towards cycling I found it entertaining. He said everyone has a book in them. 

Ditto, except it was round the world and he got it self-published (via Lulu inc). In looking in the bookcase for it, I just found a book I didn't know I had. It must have come with a CD I bought Kristin Hersh, Crooked.

I wonder if any other artist releases books with CDs? 

Just watched a re-run of "Airport security Colombia" and in this episode a husband had a pair of shoes that he was taking to Madrid for a friend.When he was caught with cocaine in the shoes and arrested his wife broke down and started crying and clinging onto him and tellng him "dont worry we are innocent and god will get us out of this.I wonder what she actually expected god to do ?

52 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

he was caught with cocaine in the shoes and arrested his wife broke down and started crying and clinging onto him and tellng him "dont worry we are innocent and god will get us out of this.I wonder what she actually expected god to do ?

Snort with derision, or save their soles?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Ditto, except it was round the world and he got it self-published (via Lulu inc). In looking in the bookcase for it, I just found a book I didn't know I had. It must have come with a CD I bought Kristin Hersh, Crooked.

I wonder if any other artist releases books with CDs? 

Devin Townsend’s “Half Way There” came with a CD of acoustic songs but there was a version you could get with a cassette of really old demos (along with MP3 code) but that was over £100 IIRC. 

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

How is "optician" still a job? Give the punter two buttons, "better" and "worse" and get the receptionist to guide them to a chair. Years of training for that?

You know that really isn't all they do?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bickster said:

You know that really isn't all they do?

That's true.  They've also got to get them to look into that machine which cross checks their work and puff some air into your eye from a squash ball with a hole in it. 

• Haha 2

On 19/08/2021 at 13:42, Davkaus said:

How is "optician" still a job? Give the punter two buttons, "better" and "worse" and get the receptionist to guide them to a chair. Years of training for that?

There is more to this than meets the eye.

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

That's true.  They've also got to get them to look into that machine which cross checks their work and puff some air into your eye from a squash ball with a hole in it. 

When I worked at the uni, I used to get free eye tests (and very cheap glasses) at the optometry department eye clinic. Invariably carried out by students, under the (nominal) supervision of qualified staff. One of the academics told me that they had great trouble getting the undergraduates to actually turn up to classes, as loads of them were busy doing part-time jobs down at Specsavers, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Who are all of these people who were subscribing to follow people on OnlyFans? Their minds are going to be blown if they ever go to Google and type in "boobs".

I’ve wondered this a lot. When they say individuals are making hundreds of thousands… why TF are enough people paying to see a picture of a vag when there’s millions on offer for free?

People like Kerry Katona apparently making a fortune from nudes, she’s probably not in the top 10 million women who are available naked for free on the net but people are still paying to see her baps.

Then random non celebs who gave up jobs because they can make a fortune on OF… I just don’t understand it. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The only thing I find more surprising is that there is apparently enough other content on OF that they can ban it and expect to stay in business.

Nudes are staying but sexually explicit material is banned… deciding what is what is a fun job for the moderators.

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nudes are staying but sexually explicit material is banned… deciding what is what is a fun job for the moderators.

I think I'd take a considerable paycut to earn a living applying the "can I fap to this?" test.

"Sorry boss, running a bit behind, that last job was a tricky one but I got there in the end"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

The only thing I find more surprising is that there is apparently enough other content on OF that they can ban it and expect to stay in business.

They'll just move into the gamer market, gamers seem to get a hard on watching other gamers play which I've never quite figured out why

23 hours ago, Davkaus said:

When they put that light right up your eye and start breathing all over your face (pre covid people) I always have to stifle down a laugh.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

They'll just move into the gamer market, gamers seem to get a hard on watching other gamers play which I've never quite figured out why

I can see why you wouldn't get it if you don't play games yourself, but it's not that much different to watching people play sports. There is a really high skill ceiling to lots of multiplayer games, to the extent me playing it myself is almost unrecognisable to watching professionals play it.

It's not like other entertainment; I wouldn't watch someone watching TV (though, Gogglebox...), or read a book, because I can do exactly that myself and have exactly the same experience as the person reading/watching it. You can't be bad at watching a TV show, and there's nothing to be gained from watching someone else do it, but there's every bit as much skill in playing League of Legends or Starcraft at the top level as there is in playing professional football.

It'll never have the same mass market appeal because to a lot of people, including yourself I suspect, if you watched it the reaction would just be "Oh, he pressed a button. Better than that other person, apparently", but when you're familiar with the games they play, and can appreciate the speed, accuracy and tactics of what they're doing, it can be really entertaining to watch.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I can see why you wouldn't get it if you don't play games yourself, but it's not that much different to watching people play sports. There is a really high skill ceiling to lots of multiplayer games, to the extent me playing it myself is almost unrecognisable to watching professionals play it.

It's not like other entertainment; I wouldn't watch someone watching TV (though, Gogglebox...), or read a book, because I can do exactly that myself and have exactly the same experience as the person reading/watching it. You can't be bad at watching a TV show, and there's nothing to be gained from watching someone else do it, but there's every bit as much skill in playing League of Legends or Starcraft at the top level as there is in playing professional football.

There's a fundamental difference or two though to sports.

With gamers, the action and skill is over here, but the results are over there on the screen and thats a bit of a disconnect plus you really need to know the game in question. You can watch most sports and pick up the rules as you go along

Then no matter how good the person is, they are still limited in what they can do by software and yes I understand that might not actually be limiting but at the back of my mind it puts me off

Â