Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Just seen @blandy's photo atop a ATC tower and I'm wondering why a windsock is so called. I get that its from wind and sock but its not a sock and doesn't fit into any definition of sock I can find.

A couple of days ago watched a Numbephile on the mathematics of holes. Apparently tubes (mathematically) have one hole, and this would include wind socks. Traditional socks would have zero holes and interestingly balloons(hollow balls have minus one holes. 

Well it was interesting for me.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

They have a couple of baseball teams in the USA that have something to do with sox

I wonder what their secks lives are like? 

• Haha 1

On 03/08/2021 at 10:40, Rugeley Villa said:

Cheers Bicks . Must say we are well impressed with Trecco Bay.

It's where Planet Rock do a rock festival every winter

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Peckham Wanderer said:

Is it too early to be drinking bourbon? :D

17 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It’s 8pm somewhere 

And more importantly, after a couple more glasses you won't be able to read the time anyway

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm wondering what to buy, or put towards, with my £65 of Amazon vouchers (redeemed as a reward from my credit card)

Think i've narrowed it down to 3 things:

1) A new wallet. A decent one. I don't think i've ever owned one didn't cost £5 or was from a street market in Jakarta or Bangkok. I think @NurembergVillan may have mentioned Bellroy as a good make? I don't want anything 'flashy', just good quality. No coin pocket either as I'm a complete lunatic. 

2) A nice leather case/folio cover for my new iPad. As the device was basically a free gift from work, I wouldn't feel bad about spending a bit more on a quality cover. 

3) A Kindle. I want to get back into my reading and prefer to read on these devices as opposed to my tablet (get too easily distracted by apps and browsing VT!). My old Kindle is deceased (it was a keyboard one so about 10 years old)

Decisions decisions...

Probably one for the boring thread to be honest. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm wondering what to buy, or put towards, with my £65 of Amazon vouchers (redeemed as a reward from my credit card)

1) A new wallet. A decent one. I don't think i've ever owned one didn't cost £5 or was from a street market in Jakarta or Bangkok. I think @NurembergVillan may have mentioned Bellroy as a good make? I don't want anything 'flashy', just good quality. No coin pocket either as I'm a complete lunatic. 

2) A nice leather case/folio cover for my new iPad. As the device was basically a free gift from work, I wouldn't feel bad about spending a bit more on a quality cover. 

3) A Kindle. I want to get back into my reading and prefer to read on these devices as opposed to my tablet (get too easily distracted by apps and browsing VT!). My old Kindle is deceased (it was a keyboard one so about 10 years old)

Decisions decisions...

@Stevo985is your man for wallet advice 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Decisions decisions...

I bought the original version of this one when I was living in Canada and absolutely loved it. Only replaced it as I was given a gift.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bellroy-Slim-Sleeve-Premium-Billfold/dp/B08L3PY2LK?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

They're all nicely designed with clever features and quality materials.  Closer to your budget, the Note Sleeve will be great even if you carry a big stack of bank cards.  There are some beautiful colour options.

The other 2 things on your list are time-limited - the case or the Kindle only last for as long as the tech.  A wallet can go with you for years, becoming burnished and picking up the scars of everyday life.

A good wallet will always be a good wallet.

• Like 1

Â