Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 21/07/2021 at 14:31, chrisp65 said:

I think what we have here is a classic example of old people giving it a good chorus of ‘well back in my day…’

My kids would be able to call out the various sub groups of today’s trends and fashions. Personally, I wouldn’t know if someone was in to drill or dressed for gramming, or ready for a weekend of line dancing and chemical toilets. But I trust the kids to be tweeking and subverting fashions well below the 50 year old’s radar.

I remember my parents attempting to buy me a blazer when I was in to all that. All I can say is, I can still spot the difference between Pub Landlord and Steve Marriott. My parents never could and never will.

On 22/07/2021 at 08:40, Stevo985 said:

100% this

VT always makes me laugh when a load of 40-50 year old blokes who probably go to the pub wearing walking shoes, combat trousers and a Karrimoor fleece mock younger people regarding their fashion (Bicks being one of the prime culprits :) )

Spoiler: it's not the young people who are dressed badly...

First day back in the office today so I woke up really early and couldn't get back to sleep. Don't ask me why but I got thinking about these posts. 

I think these actually back up my original point about the average man in the street and general fashions of the day. 

You talk about oldies not recognising the youth culture, but that's kind of the point. 

Back in that day the parents would know and identify who were Teddy Boys, Mods, Rockers, Goths, Glam Rockers or New Romantics. And because these youth fashions were readily identifiable they would permeate into the High Street.  That's what fashion tends to do, designers take cues from youth culture and then the high street churns out pale imitations of what the youth culture is dictating.  Parents would actually be wearing watered down version's of what the kids were wearing (at least the year before). 

But this cycle seems to have stopped. Maybe it's fast fashion,  nothing hangs around long enough to resonate? 

I was thinking about how in the late 80's I could tell a Bros fan (or more specifically a Brosette) from a mile away, however my parents wouldn't have a clue.  If a big group of them walked down the street together my parents might wonder why all these brightly dressed people were walking around, and realise something was up but not actually recognise what it was.  

But Bros fashions never really affected the high street.  Maybe too short lived or too specific. Was that the start of this malaise? 

I suppose the one fashion us oldies are aware of now are hipsters but I would still question if a bloke in a checked shirt with a beard walked down the street in 2000 if it would raise eyebrows, maybe the skinny jeans. 

Edited by sidcow

• 2 weeks later...

@chrisp65  being Welsh do you have the answer to why a lot of Welsh people have darker skin than the rest of the British isles. Not all I know but I’ve noticed for years that there’s some darker skin more prevalent in Welsh genes. Not sure if the daily mail have picked up on this. My godfather who’s now sadly passed away, he was Welsh and dark skinned. I read one article which said it had something to do with the Spanish .

p.s have you been to that record shop in Bridgend ? 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not all I know but I’ve noticed for years that there’s some darker skin more prevalent in Welsh genes. Not sure if the daily mail have picked up on this. My godfather who’s now sadly passed away, he was Welsh and dark skinned. I read one article which said it had something to do with the Spanish

More likely Italians. Take a walk down to John Street in Porthcawl to Fulgonis Ice Cream Palour. I think there maybe another Italian one on the main street aswell.

Before Cafe Culture was a thing, it was a thing in South Wales, every village had a Bracchi where people went to drink "frothy coffee" (none of that Latte bollocks), often there was also a chip shop next door also owned by the same people. Our village had two, we called them the Top Bracchi and the Bottom Bracchi. Our local bakery was owned by the Ferrari family (unsure if connected to the cars) and I even had a french teacher in school, in Birmingham called Miss Ferrari, she was from Bridgend. 

There's a fair few Welsh sports people with italian names

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Bicks . Must say we are well impressed with Trecco Bay. Not the cheapest place to book but plenty of stuff to do for kids. Didn’t realise it was the biggest holiday park in the UK. Weather has held up well so far. 

7 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

@chrisp65  being Welsh do you have the answer to why a lot of Welsh people have darker skin than the rest of the British isles. 

i know this one  ...  lack of soap 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

@chrisp65  being Welsh do you have the answer to why a lot of Welsh people have darker skin than the rest of the British isles. Not all I know but I’ve noticed for years that there’s some darker skin more prevalent in Welsh genes. Not sure if the daily mail have picked up on this. My godfather who’s now sadly passed away, he was Welsh and dark skinned. I read one article which said it had something to do with the Spanish .

I suspect you have sun glasses on.

10 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

p.s have you been to that record shop in Bridgend ? 

No. I can’t think of any logical reason to go to Bridgend. Other than the football, and that was basically banned the year they got promoted. Coincidence? I think not.

If you fancy something different on your last day, call in on Cardiff, you can get inside the Castle for free, load up with goodies from Greggs just across the road, pop the family into the castle to explore the grounds and the Harry Potter stuff and all that, whilst you pop 100 metres down the road and go in Kelly’s Records, upstairs in the indoor market. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I suspect you have sun glasses on.

No. I can’t think of any logical reason to go to Bridgend. Other than the football, and that was basically banned the year they got promoted. Coincidence? I think not.

If you fancy something different on your last day, call in on Cardiff, you can get inside the Castle for free, load up with goodies from Greggs just across the road, pop the family into the castle to explore the grounds and the Harry Potter stuff and all that, whilst you pop 100 metres down the road and go in Kelly’s Records, upstairs in the indoor market. 

You wouldn’t Adam and Eve it, but we bumped into our old neighbours here the other day. They recommended Cardiff castle . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Just seen @blandy's photo atop a ATC tower and I'm wondering why a windsock is so called. I get that its from wind and sock but its not a sock and doesn't fit into any definition of sock I can find.

That’s exactly it. Looks like a sock and crudely indicates wind speed and direction. Imaginative, or what.

Â