Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Least no-one has admitted to using their leather phone case as a wallet. They would need to get in the bin straight away. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I keep a debit card in my car, but other than that, I just use my phone for everything, I've got no interest in carrying a wallet around. I honestly can't remember the last time I used a card out of the house, and it must be going back to 2017 when I last bought something in cash other than at a restaurant.

…is nobody else availing themselves of the car parks of the north?

You can tell a lot about a town by it’s parking charges.

Bolton: £1.80 for three hours, payable in coins, no change given.

London: £8:00 for 6 hours, pay via the app the day before.

I had the same wallet for an obscene amount of time, from the age of like 12 through to around 30 or so, an Umbro wallet that had become so worn out no one could have known it was Umbro.

Finally adulted though after peer pressure and bought a leather black one, been using it since but man I miss my Umbro wallet :)

• Like 1

My first ever wallet was a Villa wallet. It had zips, velcro and the dreaded coin pouch from memory 

Can't seem to find a picture of it online. I thought it was 'official' but maybe not. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

My first ever wallet was a Villa wallet. It had zips, velcro and the dreaded coin pouch from memory 

Can't seem to find a picture of it online. I thought it was 'official' but maybe not. 

Monty Python Stoning GIFs | Tenor

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Monty Python Stoning GIFs | Tenor

Even when I got robbed outside college, my attacker didn't want it. He threw it me back after he took the notes out :( 

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

15 hours ago, Xela said:

Least no-one has admitted to using their leather phone case as a wallet. They would need to get in the bin straight away. 

Um.....😳

My phone case has a couple of card slots and a bit for bank notes. Why would I carry a wallet as well? I mean cash is largely redundant now, so all I need is phone, emergency cash and card(s) for entry into places.

18 minutes ago, blandy said:

Um.....😳

My phone case has a couple of card slots and a bit for bank notes. Why would I carry a wallet as well? I mean cash is largely redundant now, so all I need is phone, emergency cash and card(s) for entry into places.

I bought something for £80 the other day and the guy asked me to pay him in cash. My first thought was this man must be some kind of criminal before realising that it is a perfectly reasonable request. 

15 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I bought something for £80 the other day and the guy asked me to pay him in cash. My first thought was this man must be some kind of criminal before realising that it is a perfectly reasonable request. 

I guess. It's becoming less so, though. Carrying large sums of cash around is kind of rarer these days. So at some point soon it's going to be seen as a really unreasonable request - "who on earth uses cash these days, can't you accept card payment?"

Cash helps people avoid tax, it's less secure, it means going to the banks to pay it in or take it out, and banks are becoming rarer on the street. It's the way the world is going. I wonder how long it will be before cash is basically obsolete?  I pretty much only use for the take-away opposite, which only accepts cash. I think since the lockdown started 17 months ago, I've been to the cashpoint once.

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

I guess. It's becoming less so, though. Carrying large sums of cash around is kind of rarer these days. So at some point soon it's going to be seen as a really unreasonable request - "who on earth uses cash these days, can't you accept card payment?"

Cash helps people avoid tax, it's less secure, it means going to the banks to pay it in or take it out, and banks are becoming rarer on the street. It's the way the world is going. I wonder how long it will be before cash is basically obsolete?  I pretty much only use for the take-away opposite, which only accepts cash. I think since the lockdown started 17 months ago, I've been to the cashpoint once.

Exactly the same. I've had about £30 in my wallet for ages now and not spent it. I think the only place I do use cash is the local chip shop. 

It's the little ones birthday coming up and my Dad's said he's sent a card up for him with cash in it. So that's even more cash that's just going to sit in my wallet for ages. 

Although, could be worse, he could have sent a cheque. My in laws gave me a cheque for my birthday last year for like £10 or so and I don't think I ever got around to cashing it. 

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Um.....😳

First gravy on fish...

• Haha 1

I had a lovely Ted Baker leather wallet for Christmas one year but very quickly they look tatty. 
Just a generic brown leather one now. Debit card, credit card, vaccination card, Tesco card, rarely some cash (no coin pouch).

3 hours ago, blandy said:

I still take more than 50% of my fares in cash, its not because I'm not offering the card alternative (even though it costs me money to do that), its because that is the way people want or have to pay. Not everyone has access to bank accounts, apple pay and android pay etc require a device and not all banks give access to those facilities either. Some people aren't even allowed to have a contactless card, let alone use contactless on a device with a higher spending limit

There are many many people out there in this situation

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I still take more than 50% of my fares in cash, its not because I'm not offering the card alternative (even though it costs me money to do that), its because that is the way people want or have to pay. Not everyone has access to bank accounts, apple pay and android pay etc require a device and not all banks give access to those facilities either. Some people aren't even allowed to have a contactless card, let alone use contactless on a device with a higher spending limit

There are many many people out there in this situation

It would be interesting to see the response of the average shopper if when they were paying they had a couple of pence extra added to their bill specifically for paypal or whoever or whatever ‘convenience’ device they use.

That’ll be £1.09 for the milk and 2p for Mr Bezos’ little rocket adventures, that’s £1.11 exactly please.

People wanted us to go cash free on the turnstile at the football, but didn’t see why on earth the price of entry should go up.

We offered a slightly higher entry price just for the people that wanted to use cards and phones and people thought that was a really weird unfair idea that the cost of their convenience should be overtly passed on to just them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We offered a slightly higher entry price just for the people that wanted to use cards and phones and people thought that was a really weird unfair idea that the cost of their convenience should be overtly passed on to just them. 

Also illegal since Jan 2018

Â