Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

9 hours ago, robby b said:

Things I often wonder, number 1) 

Why, oh why, do so many of the shops/supermarkets that sell Marmite only sell it in the massive jar!? Boo. I want the little one! With the big jars about halfway through it will be less fresh and possibly harder and generally in poor condition, with probable margarine contamination.

I'm the exact opposite. I always try and buy the biggest possible jar of Marmite, but my local Morrisons lately seems to only have those piddling little ones that last about a week. What's this 'less fresh' nonsense? Marmite doesn't go off, it's good from opening to the last scrape, months later. And as a friend of mine once said, butter in the Marmite is forgivable, Marmite in the butter is not. Note butter. Marmitey goodness should never be tainted with margarine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm the exact opposite. I always try and buy the biggest possible jar of Marmite, but my local Morrisons lately seems to only have those piddling little ones that last about a week. What's this 'less fresh' nonsense? Marmite doesn't go off, it's good from opening to the last scrape, months later. And as a friend of mine once said, butter in the Marmite is forgivable, Marmite in the butter is not. Note butter. Marmitey goodness should never be tainted with margarine. 

Fair enough, you're right that it stays fresh for ages, but that's if not too contaminated with certain other things... what I meant was that maybe butter, for example, can make it go a bit off because butter can go off if not kept in the fridge. These days I buy dairy free spreads (some kind of margarine), like Vitalite or Pure. Anyway, I love marmite!

: >

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

It does, not exactly go off, but deteriorate. I only found out because like you I always got the big jars if poss. But I had a spell going with jam on my toast so didn’t get through the jar at the same speed. It’s not as good 3 months later. Probably one for the boring  thread, mind.

13 hours ago, Xela said:

On YouTube i've watched hundred of hours of people on narrowboats! Just meandering down the waterways. 

I'm also watching videos of two guys sitting in different cars talking about random shit (Smith and Sniff if you are interested) 

You should watch the Canal Hunter series/Life at 2.3 miles per hour.  It's a guy who makes videos about canals and in Canal Hunter he goes off exploring all the lost canals of The Birmingham Canal Navigation.   I've found it fascinating even though a lot of it is him scrabbling around in abandoned woodland and around Black Country industrial estates. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

On 20/08/2021 at 14:54, robby b said:

Things I often wonder, number 1) 

Why, oh why, do so many of the shops/supermarkets that sell Marmite only sell it in the massive jar!? Boo. I want the little one! With the big jars about halfway through it will be less fresh and possibly harder and generally in poor condition, with probable margarine contamination.

Marmite contaminated with margarine is terrible,its horrable,its yuk.My wife put Marmite on a piece of toast once and got into the shower.I thought it was a bit of burnt toast,so I put peanut butter on it and ate it.Yuk

• Haha 2

It's posts like these I often wonder about:

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm so happy for this kid, still has his doubters, so I want him to push on even further.

1 minute ago, MrSmirch said:

His brother looks outrageously good. 

It's a little bit like Southgate on Grealish, "Mason Mount plays really well."
Or some VTers on the Dean Smith thread "Bielsa is great."

And then there is endless repetition of some player(s) is not good enough.

4 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

It's posts like these I often wonder about:

It's a little bit like Southgate on Grealish, "Mason Mount plays really well."
Or some VTers on the Dean Smith thread "Bielsa is great."

And then there is endless repetition of some player(s) is not good enough.

Yeah great post, really insightful, but why did you edit JV’s post to remove the bit where he also mentions his brother? 

7 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

Yeah great post, really insightful, but why did you edit JV’s post to remove the bit where he also mentions his brother? 

Apologies ... my bad. Getting grumpy in my old age.

• Thanks 1

I have a grammar question. Does "an" precede an acronym beginning with L? I thought it always did and I have spent far too long arguing with a colleague over it. An example "an LUFC supporter invariably ends up marrying an immediate relative" it's not a LUFC is it? 

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I have a grammar question. Does "an" precede an acronym beginning with L? I thought it always did and I have spent far too long arguing with a colleague over it. An example "an LUFC supporter invariably ends up marrying an immediate relative" it's not a LUFC is it? 

Of course. LUFC is pronounced ell yoo eff see, not 'luffk'. 

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Of course. LUFC is pronounced ell yoo eff see, not 'luffk'. 

It's obvious isn't it as the ell sound is as a vowel. Now I have to start thinking of this colleague as an idiot. 

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Same reason it's not 'a MP'.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Seat68 said:

It's obvious isn't it as the ell sound is as a vowel. Now I have to start thinking of this colleague as an idiot. 

So why isn’t it “an large drink”? or “an member of parliament”?

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

So why isn’t it “an large drink”? or “an member of parliament”?

It would be “a member of parliament” or “an MP”.

You’re pronouncing the “m” in the the former and in the latter it’s an “em” sound. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It would be “a member of parliament” or “an MP”.

You’re pronouncing the “m” in the the former and in the latter it’s an “em” sound. 

Ta. That doesn’t work for the other one though

Â