Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, bickster said:

And hide under the bog seat

Thirsty snakes slither into Australian toilets as dry season bites

This article is more than 5 years old

Queensland snake catcher charms two pythons out of Townsville bathrooms after one found coiled in a toilet bowl and the other lodged in a U-bend

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/16/snakes-slither-into-australian-toilets-as-dry-season-bites

23 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Is 'tutting' in disappointment/frustration/anger peculiar to English speakers or does everybody do it?

Paging @El Zen 

I just had a thought. I thought el zen was scandinavian due to his previous user name and now I am doubting it. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Paging @El Zen 

I just had a thought. I thought el zen was scandinavian due to his previous user name and now I am doubting it. 

No, I am. We also «tut». 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Paging @El Zen 

He is, but you might not know it, his English is so annoyingly perfect... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I was KEGS Aston. 

Temperley.

Dinner tickets.

I was a Manton boy. There were only 3 houses, us,you and Floyd. When i was there, we were the best sporting house, apart from in swimming which Floyd always (not literally) peed on the other two houses. Temperley were where all the swotty egg head brainboxes were. 76 - 81.

22 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I was a Manton boy. There were only 3 houses, us,you and Floyd. When i was there, we were the best sporting house, apart from in swimming which Floyd always (not literally) peed on the other two houses. Temperley were where all the swotty egg head brainboxes were. 76 - 81.

The house system is a really odd leftover from boarding schools, never really saw the point of it. Our houses at Moseley Grammar were Mansfield, Midgeley, James and Glover. Nobody had a clue what the names meant, nobody (outside of a few weirdos) gave a shit about them. Do they still exist? 

It was really only used for sports day I think? My middle school (ages 9-13) houses are more memorable than my high school (13-16) equivalent.

Middle school I was in Boscobel, and the other two were Shugborough and Wightwick. High school I was in Wrottesley, can’t remember the others. It wasn’t really pushed on us at all in those years, no idea why they bothered.

The middle school I think they might have done a running total of how many “house points” a house got for the class, year and school as a whole.

Pretty sure it’s still done now in lots of schools. You see stories about how outrageous it is that a school has had the audacity to change a house name from Churchill/Nightingale to something not approved by Mark Francois.

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The house system is a really odd leftover from boarding schools, never really saw the point of it. Our houses at Moseley Grammar were Mansfield, Midgeley, James and Glover. Nobody had a clue what the names meant, nobody (outside of a few weirdos) gave a shit about them. Do they still exist? 

We had a house system in our Comp. 8 Houses across the school and we knew who every house was named after. Sutherland, Elgar, Churchill, Nuffield, Fleming, Kennedy, Hilary and Curie. The houses mainly served as administrative units but were also used for sporting competitions. The School was divided into two halves with four houses in each and that did have an effect on the way you were taught too. In the first year for example if you were in the A half you did French and in the B Half you did Spanish. PE lessons again were done by which half of the school you were in. Also it meant until you'd done your options at least you never had any lessons with the opposite half of the school, so only in the fourth and fifth form did you get a limited opportunity to mix with the other half academically

I never really had much of a problem with it, it was just what it was.

My kids school now has houses.  Same thing, sports competition and cross age group interaction etc. 

Named after famous inventors. 

Edited by sidcow

Ours were names after saints. I was in Benedict house. The others were Francis, Dominic, Augustine and Ignatius. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

He is, but you might not know it, his English is so annoyingly perfect... 

I’ve said this before to friends but in my experience a lot of Scandinavians speak better English than many English people.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve said this before to friends but in my experience a lot of Scandinavians speak better English than many English people.

As someone who lives abroad it can be **** embarrassing, there's at least 5 germans in my office who speak better English than me 

Lots of them speak really good clear English but then have 1 or 2 comical mistakes like a guy who says monthses rather than months things like that 

• Like 1

My older Norwegian relatives always did quite well with English despite, in some cases, never having any formal classes.  But I was floored a dozen years ago when I was visiting and a 15 year-old cousin not only didn't have a Scandinavian accent but sounded much closer to American than British and had never been to the US in her life.   She even had the idiom down.   If people spoke with her and my dad, who has lived in the US for ~55 years, they would think she was the one who had been living over here for most of her life and he was visiting.

I'm sure it has to do with the bombardment by US culture since the advent of cable/satellite TV and the internet.   My dad's generation could easily carry on a conversation, but some of their word/phrase choices could induce a chuckle.   i remember the word "clever" did a lot of heavy lifting for my aunt.   If she was saying something nice about someone, chances are she'd call them clever.   Smart, talented, resourceful, creative, skillful, knowledgeable?   Don't need all those words.   Clever will do.

• Like 1

Â