Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

6 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I'd hate that. One minute you're checking the grill to see how your fish fingers are doing, the next you're whizzing through time and space.

I see what you did there :D

The question is, do you dip your fish fingers in custard?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Genie said:

Wow, that’s far, far more expensive that here. You can get branded sunscreen for about £5-7 a bottle.

Doesn't it depend on the SPF? This was SPF 50 though. I know lower SPF is normally a bit cheaper, but still stupid expensive if you ask me. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Doesn't it depend on the SPF? This was SPF 50 though. I know lower SPF is normally a bit cheaper, but still stupid expensive if you ask me. 

343-EF0-DF-BBB3-47-FC-ABAD-E557662-E7-E4

1-EBD6-A89-AD37-49-FF-8553-4802705-BECF6

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't pay close attention to this, but I always get SPF 50 and I can't say I've noticed it being any more expensive than other strengths.

It should be. SPF 4 or 6 is normally half the price of 30-50. Well at least here it is, no idea about the UK ofc.

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It should be. SPF 4 or 6 is normally half the price of 30-50. Well at least here it is, no idea about the UK ofc.

Maybe it's just because I buy the generic brand, but looking it up it's both quite cheap and the same price for different strengths:

soleil.jpg

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

What attracts people to different types of house? Personally I can't think of anything worse than living in a brand new house on a housing estate. 

I get that they're efficient, bright and airy, clean lines etc but they're generally packed in like sardines, flimsy, thin walls, micro gardens.  But some people love that and wouldn't consider an old house. 

I agree, I wouldn't want to live in a new build house... or slave boxes as they are called by some! Narrow, cramped and overlooked postage stamp sized gardens. Not for me. 

The reasons why people buy them though:

1) Often first time buyers and new builds usually have assistance schemes (shared ownership / Help to Buy / Government guaranteed deposits) - these are sometimes critical for someone to get on the ladder. Otherwise they'd be stuck renting for ever

2) Similar to above, new builds will have integrated appliances / new boiler / etc and in theory should offer years of trouble free housing. For people who have just struggled to get the deposit together, they cant risk an old boiler breaking or the roof leaking. A new build offers guarantees of sorts that minimises that risk. 

I purchased a new build apartment 8 years ago and have had no issues with it - everything still works perfectly! It was never an emotional purchase, merely a functional one - it served a need at the time and was convenient. My next move will be into a 'character' property. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

What attracts people to different types of house? Personally I can't think of anything worse than living in a brand new house on a housing estate. 

I get that they're efficient, bright and airy, clean lines etc but they're generally packed in like sardines, flimsy, thin walls, micro gardens.  But some people love that and wouldn't consider an old house. 

We prefer traditional houses, which are generally rock solid, usually more characterful, have bigger rooms and gardens.  Yet some people would never consider that. 

I just wonder what drives some people to be such polar opposites.  I know some will go with the flow but there are definitely many who will only go one way on this. 

I would consider a brand new home if I was lucky enough to build it to my specific requirements on its own plot. 

You can see the decline in quality between our first home which was 1923 and our current home which was 1960, but still traditional design before the 60's / 70's Square boxes took over, but it's still rock solid compared to any modern house I've been in. 

Very much this. Our first house was a 4 bedroom Victorian (1890) redbrick terrace. Not much garden to speak of, but otherwise sound, and (although it needed some work) affordable. I had a work colleague at the time, just married, looking to buy a first house. I suggested something similar to what we had as the best bangs per buck (as did a couple of others in the office). He was appalled, said he wouldn't dream of buying an old house, let alone (ugh!) a terrace. No, it had to be brand new, and detached. We shrugged and let him get on with buying his tiny cardboard box on a soulless new estate. 

Our current (and almost certainly last) house is an Edwardian (1910) stone-built semi, with a nice garden. I wouldn't swap it for any newbuild. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I guess "often wonder" is a stretch. But whenever it is summer I always wonder why sunscreen is so bloody expensive. 

Just bought two bottles under orders from the girlfriend, one for body and one for face (genuinly didn't know people differentiated, but I digress). I got 3 for 2, and despite getting one for free and 10% off the other two, it still set me back £ 45 for some mayonnaise with heavy metals.  

You're in Norway, FFS.   Everything's expensive. 😉

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

This fella just flew overhead, any idea what type of plane it is?

F0-D523-DD-BE86-4-BF5-B384-9-E1713-F9-CA

06-D40-C3-F-B173-4193-A5-E6-2-C10-CCE7-D

Yep, that's a Typhoon, if you live near Shirley it's almost certainly the same one that flew over my house. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Why is @Xela suddenly always talking about lobsters?

Here's hoping he's not approaching day 45.

Don't be shellfish. I'm just prawn to be wild. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

AE680-ABD-4-D0-A-4411-82-E3-6-DAD82-BE30

Not the thread for it and only loosely connected, but I do find it odd that when my dad was younger he could have built his own house; wired it, plumbed it, plastered it etc, but he can't use his smartphone.

I might not be able to change a plug, but at least I'm not scared of the cashpoint. 

Edited by Paddywhack

Â