Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

12 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think that's one of Mike Ashley's brands now.  I've definitely seen it in there when I've had to venture in Sports Direct.

Nope, it's owned by ICONIX but they may exclusively licence it to the gobshite in the UK I don't know. Here's what I didn't know though... it was a British Company (now US owned) until 1989, I'd always assumed it was American from the outset

29 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Gets a lot of airplay still but fails on the dance stations part, as do Oasis and Queen.  Get Lucky isn't a bad shout, also Hey Ya by Outkast, maybe Stan by Eminem.

I was giving this some thought but I couldn’t get past “Walk this way” with Aerosmith and Run DMC. I’m convinced that won’t be the answer but it’s my (rather unoriginal) go to genre crossover song. It might have been a potential answer to your query at some point in the 80’s.

If you were to count cover versions then something like “Heaven” by Bryan Adams would cover the classic rock stations and the subsequent dance and “chilled” versions by DJ Sammy might feature on more pop and dance stations. 

There’s probably a better example of that sort of song that was covered for a different audience but something like that might be the answer.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BOF said:

Does anyone actually watch 'Meet The Richardsons'.

I always wondered what our moustachioed former captain did now. I never knew he would sink that low. 

If we had won the league in that season with Big Ron, he'd have won 3 titles with 3 different teams in about 8 seasons. Wonder if anyone else could say that?

Never mind me, i'm just rambling! 

• Haha 1

On 21/05/2021 at 15:35, mottaloo said:

A kid at my school (stuffy grammar whose only redeeming fact was that it was located across aston park to VP).....anyway, he got suspended for wearing a stud earring. He said that he was so upset that he claims his mum bought him a pair of Brutus Gold jeans to cheer him up.

This was the late 70s and we were well envious of him.

King Edwards VI Aston?

3 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Yep. The happiest days of my life 🤔

I was at one of your rivals (Camp Hill)

A bit later than you were at school though, grandad ;) 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BOF said:

Does anyone actually watch 'Meet The Richardsons'.

Strange coincidence but I watched a clip of it on Facebook this morning. Cringe worthy bad.

Can't say that I often wonder this, but... watching the news this evening they had one of their semi-regular spots with a reporter talking outside New Scotland Yard, with that rotating three-sided sign behind them. For many years that sign only had the NSC lettering on two sides, with the third side blank. I always assumed this was deliberate for some unknown reason. But a few years ago, the words suddenly appeared on the third side, and it now looks complete. What was all that about, then? 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Can't say that I often wonder this, but... watching the news this evening they had one of their semi-regular spots with a reporter talking outside New Scotland Yard, with that rotating three-sided sign behind them. For many years that sign only had the NSC lettering on two sides, with the third side blank. I always assumed this was deliberate for some unknown reason. But a few years ago, the words suddenly appeared on the third side, and it now looks complete. What was all that about, then? 

It was moved in 2011 because it was a tourist magnet and was hindering officers going into the building. At the same time, they added a third NSY logo, which replaced a Met Police Logo with a corpoarate type slogan on, which was obviously a later addition to the signs once blank side. The Daily Heil appears to have had a little sex wee at the replacement of the "PC" slogan that was on the third side

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

It was moved in 2011 because it was a tourist magnet and was hindering officers going into the building. At the same time, they added a third NSY logo, which replaced a Met Police Logo with a corpoarate type slogan on, which was obviously a later addition to the signs once blank side. The Daily Heil appears to have had a little sex wee at the replacement of the "PC" slogan that was on the third side

Thanks. I still don't get why one side was originally left blank. 

I've started putting out a bird feeder full of mealworms.  The birds go absolutely nuts over them.  Especially sparrows and Dunnocks, but really they're all mad for them. 

However very annoyingly they tend to shower them all over the place, especially the sparrows.  Literally rolling their beak through them scattering them all over the floor.  I wondered if they were doing it for the young as sometimes smaller looking birds will fly in with them and pick them up from the floor.   But often they do it when all alone. 

I also wondered if they are being picky and only searching for specific ones, but again they don't seem to be looking, sometimes they just go and chuck them around and don't even take any. 

It's really bloody annoying because they can completely empty the feeder in 24 hours and I wonder how much is actually been eaten. Sometimes larger birds will pick them up but I think the squirrels probably get the most off the floor. 

Edited by sidcow

On 26/05/2021 at 08:53, Stevo985 said:

King Edwards VI Aston?

On 26/05/2021 at 09:00, Stevo985 said:

I was at one of your rivals (Camp Hill)

A bit later than you were at school though, grandad ;) 

I was at Five Ways.

(I mostly hated it to be honest)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've started putting out a bird feeder full of mealworms.  The birds go absolutely nuts over them.  Especially sparrows and Dunnocks, but really they're all mad for them. 

However very annoyingly they tend to shower them all over the place, especially the sparrows.  Literally rolling their beak through them scattering them all over the floor.  I wondered if they were doing it for the young as sometimes smaller looking birds will fly in with them and pick them up from the floor.   But often they do it when all alone. 

I also wondered if they are being picky and only searching for specific ones, but again they don't seem to be looking, sometimes they just go and chuck them around and don't even take any. 

It's really bloody annoying because they can completely empty the feeder in 24 hours and I wonder how much is actually been eaten. Sometimes larger birds will pick them up but I think the squirrels probably get the most off the floor. 

Ground feeders like blackbirds or starlings will thank them for it. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Ground feeders like blackbirds or starlings will thank them for it. 

If anyone has starlings, I'd make sure every and all eaves are airtight and sealed, when they nest in the roof it's a pain, and literally if their mites reach your sleeping quarters.

Â