Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

4 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Not the thread for it and only loosely connected, but I do find it odd that when my dad was younger he could have built his own house; wired it, plumbed it, plastered it etc, but he can't use his smartphone.

I might not be able to change a plug, but at least I'm not scared of the cashpoint. 

I use my smart phone to learn how to change a plug 😁

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Seriously, people don't know how to wire a plug???  😮 

Thank god you're here Mike. 

Please tell me where the live goes? 

image.png.d22830f21e204c89f35463a0cc7a240b.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Straggler said:

I was also going to post a pic of a plug, but thanks to my search history something similar but significantly different came up...

You don't want to end up being the butt of the joke. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

Thank god you're here Mike. 

Please tell me where the live goes? 

image.png.d22830f21e204c89f35463a0cc7a240b.png

Just stick the wire anywhere in the bathwater, what could possibly go wrong?

• Haha 1

I’ve wired a plug that was out of use, kinda just as a demonstration. That was years ago. Never had to do it properly. Changed a fuse once or twice. It’s funny because I remember the diagram of a plug being quite prominent at school but I don’t recall ever physically taking one apart which to me seems like the obvious way to learn about it.

See also changing a tyre. I’ve done a couple of practice changes so I have an idea should it be required, but never in a real life scenario.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’ve wired a plug that was out of use, kinda just as a demonstration. That was years ago. Never had to do it properly. Changed a fuse once or twice. It’s funny because I remember the diagram of a plug being quite prominent at school but I don’t recall ever physically taking one apart which to me seems like the obvious way to learn about it.

See also changing a tyre. I’ve done a couple of practice changes so I have an idea should it be required, but never in a real life scenario.

I had to change one at the side of the M42 once, absolutely terrifying.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I've done about 4 maybe 5

When I was a yoof and had a couple of bangers the hardest part was just getting the **** thing off in the first place, you needed to be Eddie Hall to undo the nuts, drove me to disppair, I'd have to phone like the father in law or step dad and you'd get that look of disgust because you don't know how to do it, I do know how to do it I just can't get the nuts off! 

"so you're not stupid you're just weak..."

• Like 1

I can change a plug/fuse/change a tyre or whatever, but it's practice and need.  I can see why people wouldn't know how to do it.

It's just another skill which is pretty much throwaway really. 

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

You people that have no clue how to change a plug. What do you do if you buy a new light fitting for the ceiling?

when i moved to germany it was the first time id ever done it, was actually quite easy, before that i'd never done it, changed the bulb obviously, changed the light shade too but not had to wire the actual fitting

rental flats as standard come with no light fittings or kitchen, its weird

Edited by villa4europe

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I really see absolutely no reason why you should be changing a plug at the side of the motorway.  You should be prosecuted really.

The police should certainly have a lead to go on

• Haha 3

Change plugs, changed fascias for single and double plugs, changed the odd light fitting. I would prefer to do none of them but my squeakiness means I tackle jobs. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bickster said:

You people that have no clue how to change a plug. What do you do if you buy a new light fitting for the ceiling?

I pay a proper grown-up to do it for me. 

The motto on our family crest is EGO POSTULO ADULTUS, i.e. "I need an adult".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Â