Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'm not convinced.

I reckon you'll be trading in your Slazenger joggers for a pair of Portillo's red chinos! 

I will admit to owning pairs of Hugo Boss and Ralph Lauren joggers....but Sports Direct will always be my spiritual home 😉

• Like 1

On 23/03/2021 at 10:16, Seat68 said:

This is a limited audience thing. 

I have a bird feeder here on a pole and three branches so to speak that have the individual bird feeders on them. I have squirrels, being squirrels and scaring away birds, robbing the food and digging small holes in the garden to bury food. 
Any advice on how to deter squirrels, no I am not going to harm them. 

On 27/03/2021 at 10:01, sidcow said:

There are about 10 Oak Trees in the gardens adjoining mine plus a ton of other trees.  We have billions of squirells, literally they are everywhere. 

They kept nicking all of our bird feeder food. 

I bought one of these last Autumn. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0747SZCF8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_RZP80AKARZHQ7Z4P0QCP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

We have not had a single squirrel attack since. 

Have to make sure it's high enough up the pole that they can't jump into it (and it's amazing just how high they can jump) or that it's not too too near to a fence or something they can jump from. 

Working from home it's right in out sightline all day.  Seen loads of squirrels looking at it but it's been 100% effective at keeping them out. 

So we've had this squirrel baffle for about a year now.  This morning for the very first time (bearing in mind I'm working from home overlooking where it is) is the first time I've even seen a squirrel trying to attack it. 

Failed twice so far. 

I think it's a young squirrel, doesn't look very big. 

I saw it sitting on the arm of a garden bench that's near ish to it yesterday sizing up a jump, but the bench is deliberately too far away. 

It's attempt today has been to shinny up the pole and try to jump backwards off it and grab the side of the baffle, which then obviously tips and it can't get purchase. 

It's 100% the best way of stopping them, just need to ensure it's high enough up the pole and far enough from a jumping point. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I bought a baffle and a couple of squirrel proof feeders, it defeated them. I don’t think I will ever financially recover from this. 

How has it got over the baffle? 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I was watching a pigeon trying to eat from next doors bird feeder yesterday. Up there with Pheasants for stupidest birds in the world

What has suprised me overlooking the feeders so much this last 12 months is the number of larger birds who can hover like hummingbirds and peck away at the fatball feeder chipping bits off then eat them from the lawn. 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What has suprised me overlooking the feeders so much this last 12 months is the number of larger birds who can hover like hummingbirds and peck away at the fatball feeder chipping bits off then eat them from the lawn. 

yep, not pigeons though

Just now, Seat68 said:

It hasnt. Big old plastic thing. Squirrels no longer chow down in my garden. 

Ah, sorry I misunderstood. I thought you meant the squirrel had defeated the baffle. 

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

yep, not pigeons though

Agreed, although if you are looking for the stupidest birds in the world, as a young gun there were a few I met in Pagoda Park who would give them a run for their money. 😁😁

• Haha 1

On dramas, comedies, tv, film, whatever - fictional stuff... the set dressing in the background, particularly photos of the cast members in “family photos” to make it seem more realistic. 

I often find myself thinking about how much time and effort is spent on that? Is a lot of it computer trickery, or did they say to James Gandolfini and Edie Falco for instance, we need you to book you for a couple of days to do pretend wedding photos and Soprano holiday snaps? Do they turn up, have the picture taken, then go to the next location to have another “real” photo taken?

Edited by Mark Albrighton

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

On dramas, comedies, tv, film, whatever - fictional stuff... the set dressing in the background, particularly photos of the cast members in “family photos” to make it seem more realistic. 

I often find myself thinking about how much time and effort is spent on that? Is a lot of it computer trickery, or did they say to James Gandolfini and Edie Falco for instance, we need you to book you for a couple of days to do pretend wedding photos and Soprano holiday snaps? Do they turn up, have the picture taken, then go to the next location to have another “real” photo taken?

They genuinely do fly them to holiday destinations for fake snaps.  Here's one from my own recent surfing holiday. 

fake-vacation-13.jpg

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

I saw my dream job advertised the other day, quantity surveyor for a film studio, happened to be amazon studios in Munich, I would be the cost controller for the production and would therefore know things like that, I would have to control all the running costs, staff wages as well as set construction etc have all the invoices for everything and have to track it all against the budget 

Alas it was a senior position and I needed experience in film production not just construction 

Hoping one day they open this pinewood Birmingham or whatever it ends up being and I can do it 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I saw my dream job advertised the other day, quantity surveyor for a film studio, happened to be amazon studios in Munich, I would be the cost controller for the production and would therefore know things like that, I would have to control all the running costs, staff wages as well as set construction etc have all the invoices for everything and have to track it all against the budget 

Alas it was a senior position and I needed experience in film production not just construction 

Hoping one day they open this pinewood Birmingham or whatever it ends up being and I can do it 

Sounds great. I will say that production in the creative industry is a wild - wonder if you could do a uni course? 

11 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Sounds great. I will say that production in the creative industry is a wild - wonder if you could do a uni course? 

Probably too late now, I've done uni and worked my way up so I do OK financially now but have the bills to go with it, I can't really afford to change career and take a dip especially wife a 1 year old and a wife currently not working, would take a lot of planning and to be honest is something I think I would gamble with in brum but not here 

• Like 1

Â