Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

21 hours ago, sidcow said:

What happened to Army Surplus stores? 

Used to be dozens but I don't remember the last time I saw one. 

Did there used to be one on Broad St?

39 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I wonder what song gets played on the most radio stations.  We have the radio on all night at work and the chances of hearing Praise You by Fatboy Slim are very good whether you're listening to a 90s station, regular hits station, indie stations, dance stations, Radio 2, even possibly Radio 1 on a dancey night.  I'm not talking the most regularly played songs as it would be well down the list, just the widest variety of stations.

Gotta be Mr Brightside.  Most stations will play that a lot. 

Oasis get played a lot as well - the more well known songs - Live Forever probably the most. Always on Absolute 90s, Radio X and local stations. 

Just for @bickster you do hear a lot of Queen on the radio.

You will get them on 70's, Rock and General Stations. 

I do hear Don't Stop Me Now a lot. 

Ditto you hear a lot of Bowie about. 

Boys of Summmer? Summer of 69? Lot of airplay for those. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Oasis get played a lot as well - the more well known songs - Live Forever probably the most. Always on Absolute 90s, Radio X and local stations. 

I’m (pleasantly) surprised how often absolute radio 90’s play the non-single Oasis songs likes She’s Electric, Cast No Shadow and The Masterplan which was a b-side.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m (pleasantly) surprised how often absolute radio 90’s play the non-single Oasis songs likes She’s Electric, Cast No Shadow and The Masterplan which was a b-side.

Absolutely. Funnily enough i've got it on at the moment and Morning Glory is playing!

Heard Sad Song the other day. 

• Like 1

The Masterplan, although a bside is I think one of their most famous songs. I am as far from a fan as you can get and I think I would know it on the intro. 

28 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The Masterplan, although a bside is I think one of their most famous songs. I am as far from a fan as you can get and I think I would know it on the intro. 

Same for the other two songs mentioned, all three were standard Indie Disco Fodder back then

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

You don't see Henri Lloyd clothes nowadays.

It’s funny how some things fade away like that. I’m sure as a kid it was Nike, Adidas and Reebok all in a dead heat for who was top dog. At least it seemed that way. I don’t pay attention for a few years and Reebok are nowhere to be seen.

Or at the time HMV and Our Price, from my youthful perception, were equals but the business gods had other plans.

When we were reminiscing about Nick Kamen (blimey, Kamen is experiencing a real second wind here), it made me remember that Lee jeans were in competition with Levi’s but I hadn’t thought of Lee jeans in 25 years.

Obviously this happens regularly and has done for years, but at the time, it’s not always obvious which is the stronger brand.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

When we were reminiscing about Nick Kamen (blimey, Kamen is experiencing a real second wind here), it made me remember that Lee jeans were in competition with Levi’s but I hadn’t thought of Lee jeans in 25 years.

Levi's were the brand leaders when I was at school (late 1960s). But they were even then very expensive (don't ask me how much, probably fourpence three farthings or some such). If you couldn't afford them you'd probably resort to Wranglers, but they were sneered as as uncool. Anything below that was probably Woolworths' own brand and the like, and would get you beaten up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A kid at my school (stuffy grammar whose only redeeming fact was that it was located across aston park to VP).....anyway, he got suspended for wearing a stud earring. He said that he was so upset that he claims his mum bought him a pair of Brutus Gold jeans to cheer him up.

This was the late 70s and we were well envious of him.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t pay attention for a few years and Reebok are nowhere to be seen.

The original family owning the brand sold up to Adidas in the early 2000's. I think Adidas pushed them out of the fashion part of the market

I only know this because the missus used to work for a school run by a charity founded by the former owners

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Obviously this happens regularly and has done for years, but at the time, it’s not always obvious which is the stronger brand.

I had Lee jeans as a kid. Well, probably 10 or 11 onwards. I only wore joggers and shellsuit trousers before that. I was like a pint sized @mottaloo

My first pair of jeans came from Brownhills market! Then they got better - Lee, Wrangler, Pepe, Joe Bloggs (!), before I moved into the designer ones in my late teens/early twenties. 

Nowadays? Stretch denim from Burtons. Game-changer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

it made me remember that Lee jeans were in competition with Levi’s but I hadn’t thought of Lee jeans in 25 years.

There was also Lee Coopers, an entirely different brand to Lee

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

There was also Lee Coopers, an entirely different brand to Lee

Levi’s 

Lee

and Lee Coopers

Brilliant.

If only Jimmy Lea from Slade had a clothing range...

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, sidcow said:

Gotta be Mr Brightside.  Most stations will play that a lot. 

Gets a lot of airplay still but fails on the dance stations part, as do Oasis and Queen.  Get Lucky isn't a bad shout, also Hey Ya by Outkast, maybe Stan by Eminem.

Â