Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I can recall numbers , names , events etc from 40 years ago without any problem , but if I met someone new on a night out , 10 mins later I can’t remember their name and need about 6 reminders before it sinks in ....and usually the next morning it’s gone again 

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I can recall numbers , names , events etc from 40 years ago without any problem , but if I met someone new on a night out , 10 mins later I can’t remember their name and need about 6 reminders before it sinks in ....and usually the next morning it’s gone again 

Who needs to know their name the next morning, you **** player. ;) 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Sadly my morning afters are like this 

Man Stroke Woman is one of the most underrated TV shows ever. Absolutely hilarious. I’d strongly recommend checking it out in YouTube.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I can still remember our old land line number from when I was a kid. 

The same here. Oddly enough a local skip hire company Had one digit different to our old home phone number and is  still in service today, true story 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I can still remember our old land line number from when I was a kid. 

Mine too and comlpetely coincidentally, the last four digits are the PIN for my taxi logon

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Same. 

People generally answered the phone back then by reciting the last 4 digits of the phone number. I guess this was when people had to manually dial a number. 

And the first 6 then 7 digits were completely governed by where you lived

021357 or 021358 were both Great Barr, then they became 0121....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Yep. Numbers can be remembered pretty well, but names are absolutely impossible. 

Personally I find it helps if I write it down, though that can be a bit weird during greetings. 

On 23/06/2020 at 15:48, chrisp65 said:

We had a trim phone in two tones of green.

I remember staring at it and thinking it clearly wouldn’t be long now and we’d all have jet packs and live on the moon.

When we finally changed from a rotary phone to a push button I thought the same thing. I used to press the buttons just to hear the beeps thinking they were something from another planet.

• Like 1

Is arms of mary the most famous song most people don’t know who its by? (Obviously some will know)

I know Arms of Mary pretty well, I can mangle out a pretty average version with most of the words in a recognisable order. It comes on the radio I instantly know it. Its a standard that surely most people will know. It got played the other day and I had no idea who it was by, I couldn’t even guess, and then after looking it up, nope. Would not have said that. Is Arms of Mary the most recognisable song people don’t know who it’s by? 
The Sutherland Brothers and Quiver. 

On 23/06/2020 at 22:39, mjmooney said:

When we first got a phone it was still in the days of alphanumeric phone numbers. 

Reminiscences about STDs. Well there’s a thing.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Is arms of mary the most famous song most people don’t know who its by? (Obviously some will know)

I know Arms of Mary pretty well, I can mangle out a pretty average version with most of the words in a recognisable order. It comes on the radio I instantly know it. Its a standard that surely most people will know. It got played the other day and I had no idea who it was by, I couldn’t even guess, and then after looking it up, nope. Would not have said that. Is Arms of Mary the most recognisable song people don’t know who it’s by? 
The Sutherland Brothers and Quiver. 

Just checked it out and I can safely say I've never heard it before in my life.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Just checked it out and I can safely say I've never heard it before in my life.

I feel this may be the beach boys all over again. 

Am I deluded to think Arms of Mary is a universally known song. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I feel this may be the beach boys all over again. 
Am I deluded to think Arms of Mary is a universally known song. 

Generational, I assume. Obviously, I'm totally familiar with it, and I know who it was by - I bought the album on release, it got played to death on Radio 2 for years, I saw the band do it live, I have another recording of it by the Everly Brothers, and I often play it on guitar (sounds great on 12 string). But for anyone under (say) 40, it wouldn't surprise me if it's unknown. 

• Like 1

Well, I’d have to say, it’s no Beach Boysgate for me.

Didn’t recognise the song title or the band (I actually thought it was a reference to two bands because of the ‘and’). So I YouTubed it and yes I do recognise it. But I can completely understand how anyone who isn’t a recently retired geography teacher might not know it.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Well, I’d have to say, it’s no Beach Boysgate for me.

Didn’t recognise the song title or the band (I actually thought it was a reference to two bands because of the ‘and’). So I YouTubed it and yes I do recognise it. But I can completely understand how anyone who isn’t a recently retired geography teacher might not know it.

I gave them kids the best years of my life and equipped them with important knowledge of oxbow lakes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Generational, I assume. Obviously, I'm totally familiar with it, and I know who it was by - I bought the album on release, it got played to death on Radio 2 for years, I saw the band do it live, I have another recording of it by the Everly Brothers, and I often play it on guitar (sounds great on 12 string). But for anyone under (say) 40, it wouldn't surprise me if it's unknown. 

I may have heard it sometime in the past, but I didn't recognise it at all.

Â