Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm with Seat68 - it's a fecking classic. Up there with 'Maggie May' as a 'remember your first shag' song. Speaking of Rod Stewart, 'Sailing' was also a Sutherland Brothers song (I'm digging myself a deeper hole here, aren't I?)   :)

Funny you should say that, my other comment was going to be it sounds like a shit period Rod Stewart reject song

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm with Seat68 - it's a fecking classic. Up there with 'Maggie May' as a 'remember your first shag' song. Speaking of Rod Stewart, 'Sailing' was also a Sutherland Brothers song (I'm digging myself a deeper hole here, aren't I?)   :)

Those songs are both very famous.  I've heard of them and could sing them mainly word for word even though I don't even like them (Maggie May is OK but nothing more) 

Arms of Mary...........no.

I do have an extremely irrational hatred of Rod Stewart due to spending many Saturdays working at a travel agent in the mid 80's stamping and putting stickers on Travel Brochures, putting them on the shelves etc. 

There was a TV up front with a travel promotion video on loop. Every 5 minutes a scene would come on from the Hotel Disco and Baby Jane would play.  Over and over and over all day for weeks and weeks turning into months and months. 

I was ready to smash the TV to pieces. How the full time staff got through it every day I can't even comprehend.  I only got the Saturdays. 

Even now 35 years later the sound of Rod Stewart voice gets my heckles up and Baby Jane itself will send my into an internal rage in an effort to switch off / run away from whatever is playing it.  Ggggrrrrrrrrrrrr. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

**** sake. Its arms of mary, do you lot even listen to music. 

Again could not tell you who did it, it’s not like it’s not unusual by Tom Jones but still a very famous song

I listened.

I'm just off to the shed to pick up a 3" nail and a claw hammer to burst my own ear drums.

If I caught my kids listening to that, I'd bag them up and throw them into a deepish river with a couple of 6" blocks attached and ask the missus to start the family over.

If I heard that coming out of my dad's radio in his garage, I'd Google how to make explosives and blow his garage up with him inside it.

On the whole, 9.5/10 too soft and shit and I can't believe they mugged somebody stupid enough to publish them and get them on TV.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I listened.

I'm just off to the shed to pick up a 3" nail and a claw hammer to burst my own ear drums.

If I caught my kids listening to that, I'd bag them up and throw them into a deepish river with a couple of 6" blocks attached and ask the missus to start the family over.

If I heard that coming out of my dad's radio in his garage, I'd Google how to make explosives and blow his garage up with him inside it.

On the whole, 9.5/10 too soft and shit and I can't believe they mugged somebody stupid enough to publish them and get them on TV.

When did the X Factor judges get so cruel?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I listened.

So you are 50/50 on it then?

I've honestly never heard it or heard of it, and there's precious little from that time period I wouldn't have known about.  Then I mooney'd it (should technically be spelled mooneyed, but that brings up an unflattering mental image of mike's organs of sight) and saw that it never got above 81 on the US charts.  And some folks claim we exercise no discretion over here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I listened.

This rather neatly matches my reaction to The Pixies' "Doolittle", which I bought on the strength of its reputation. Far and away one of the worst albums I've ever heard. Normally I'd give unwanted CDs to a charity shop, but the shitness of this one angered me so much I actually smashed it and chucked it in the bin. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

There is one thing I don't like about "Arms of Mary", and that's the key change. Key changes are rarely a good idea in a pop song. 

Yeah, there’s only one thing I don’t like about, too. Everything.

• Haha 2

One thing I’ve wondered recently... where does all the money go when we have a economic collapse like now? In general terms vast majority of businesses are running out or have run out of cash. People lose their jobs, they’ve got no money either. Government has a mountain of debt and needs to borrow. I know there are some businesses doing ok but they can’t account for all of the “missing” money.
Where did all the money go?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

One thing I’ve wondered recently... where does all the money go when we have a economic collapse like now? In general terms vast majority of businesses are running out or have run out of cash. People lose their jobs, they’ve got no money either. Government has a mountain of debt and needs to borrow. I know there are some businesses doing ok but they can’t account for all of the “missing” money.
Where did all the money go?

I think I know where it went... 

DE027CA0-A7B4-4CA0-9922-7BF5D5E14A97.jpeg

Edited by It's Your Round
In all seriousness though, that’s a good question Genie
  • Haha 1

Still on topic with "Arms of Mary" (and "Doolittle", for that matter) I often wonder what it is that shapes our strong likes and dislikes in... well, all sorts of things. 

I didn't expect the (even slightly younger) VTers to like AoM, but I was quite surprised at the level of dislike. I mean, yeah, it's typical mid-70s soft rock/AOR, not exactly fashionable, but it's surely no worse than other examples of the genre? I mean, people still seem to rate the **** ing Carpenters, going on about Karen's lovely voice, but I think they were utter shite - one good single, and that only because of the guitar solo. And why do I hate 80s post punk so much, when people whose views I respect love it passionately? It's not just age, as I know plenty of people whose tastes don't match up to their supposed generational preferences. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Still on topic with "Arms of Mary" (and "Doolittle", for that matter) I often wonder what it is that shapes our strong likes and dislikes in... well, all sorts of things. 

I didn't expect the (even slightly younger) VTers to like AoM, but I was quite surprised at the level of dislike. I mean, yeah, it's typical mid-70s soft rock/AOR, not exactly fashionable, but it's surely no worse than other examples of the genre? I mean, people still seem to rate the **** ing Carpenters, going on about Karen's lovely voice, but I think they were utter shite - one good single, and that only because of the guitar solo. And why do I hate 80s post punk so much, when people whose views I respect love it passionately? It's not just age, as I know plenty of people whose tastes don't match up to their supposed generational preferences. 

Music is a really strange phenomenon isn't it? 

I think a lot of what people like comes from familiarity.  I know my musical taste, which i'm sorry to say is largely anything Liam/Noel Gallagher (R&R/Britpop) based is because every morning from 94 I was woken up to their albums playing to wake my brother up.  I just kind of, adopted the love of them from him really. 

But apart from stuff like Michael Jackson which my mom occasionally listened to, everything she listened to (bar ABBA I guess) I found appallingly shit and still do.  

I have a mate who's turned 40 and ever since I've known him, he's listened to Smooth FM and knows the words to the songs from the 70s, much like that shit @Seat68 posted earlier - I just can't get my head around it. 

I don't understand how people can "get into" things like death metal or whatever, whats the entry for that?  Heavy trauma?  

I love that all different music exists, I HATE that I don't like most of it.  I never understand people who love "all" music either, get some personality man!

I think I'm just a fan of Em7 and stuff around that to be honest. 

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

In a venn diagram I love AoM as I love a lot of 70s music. I love the carpenters and abba as I love good pop music. I rate Doolittle as it was the sound of my youth it was the progression from Come on Pilgrim>Surfer Rosa that I wanted. Time and navel gazing might have made it into the great it is now. I have been playing Bossanova, its follow up, a little more recently. Pixies were one of my favourite bands growing up. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

In a venn diagram I love AoM as I love a lot of 70s music. I love the carpenters and abba as I love good pop music. I rate Doolittle as it was the sound of my youth it was the progression from Cmon Pilgrim>Surfer Rosa that I wanted. Time and navel gazing might have made it into the great it is now. I have been playing Bossanova, its follow up, a little more recently. Pixies were one of my favourite bands growing up. 

Well, there you go. Someone who likes Pixies and SB&Q. It's a mystery. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I used to be quite tribal, but now music is music.

If I look at music I have bought, I don’t tend to spend money on that broadly typical American / British sort of rock shite or the twenty seven weird angry masturbatory heavier versions of rock that appear prevalent in Scandinavia.

But by the same token, I dislike the wank catch all expression ‘world music’.

• Like 1

Â