Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

true , they weren’t a top 10 artist but I think to say they almost disappeared is stretching things a little... The Beatles hadn't been in existence for 10 years  in the 80’s yet they had 17 albums chart in the U.K.  , re-issues and compilations , many of them reached number 1 ... guess that would have been when CD’s took off and everyone converted formats

That's still not a bad record considering the 80s must have been the worst decade in history for taste of music or any other type of culture really.  The 2010s run it close though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

That's still not a bad record considering the 80s must have been the worst decade in history for taste of music or any other type of culture really. 

Look Whos Talking Now Reaction GIF

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

That's still not a bad record considering the 80s must have been the worst decade in history for taste of music or any other type of culture really.  The 2010s run it close though.

Well I agree with your assessment of the ghastly 80s, but not entirely with the 2010s part. Sure, the mainstream of pop and rock has been pretty dreadful, but for a fan of pre-1975 genres like me, there is a LOT of good music being made nowadays, albeit lower down the commercial ladder. In the more 'rootsy' fields - folk, blues, jazz, soul, country, singer-songwriter, etc. - many of the surviving 'old masters' are enjoying a late renaissance, and there are also loads of young musicians taking the baton and running with it, often brilliantly. Even at the amateur/semipro level, I've found a thriving local scene, and - pre-pandemic - been able to go to great gigs every week. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

vince vaughn party time GIF

I joined in about 2005/2006. Can’t remember exactly. It’s mental that that’s about as good as it would get as a fan. We had a couple of years after that where we got to a cup final and a semi somewhere... but mostly it’s been misery on the football side. 

im lucky that you’re all so amazing and we’ve all stuck around

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I joined in about 2005/2006. Can’t remember exactly. It’s mental that that’s about as good as it would get as a fan. We had a couple of years after that where we got to a cup final and a semi somewhere... but mostly it’s been misery on the football side. 

im lucky that you’re all so amazing and we’ve all stuck around

You joined 30th May 2007 (a Wednesday) according to your profile :detect:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I only joined last week, to be honest I never knew places like this even existed before lockdown

Finding off topic inside a week.  Impressive, I think it took me about 10 years! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

I joined in 2006 but don't think I posted much for a few years. I was a lurker for a good while. 

Same here.  After an initial flurry I backed of and just lurked really.   Not sure what triggered me to become more involved again, probably an upturn in Villa's fortunes. 

I joined (officially) in 2016. But was reading long, long before that. Don't know why I decided to start posting, probably because you lot are a bunch of lunatics and I wanted to join the lunacy! 😜

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

I only joined last week, to be honest I never knew places like this even existed before lockdown

Pour yourself a long drink, and check out the 'Honeytrap' and 'SIFF World Cup' threads in the Hall of Fame. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Pour yourself a long drink, and check out the 'Honeytrap' and 'SIFF World Cup' threads in the Hall of Fame. 

That’s my bedtime reading sorted cheersThat’s my bedtime reading sorted cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

James Milner Little Known Facts was ace. Just gave the last post a smiley though, very ironic. 

Â