Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

One of the best covers I have ever heard was the Bunnymen covering All You Need Is Love. How does that cover sit with you, not trying to trip you up, just think the entire work is exceptional. 

Worst song they ever recorded in the run from Crocodiles to Ocean Rain. (The Golden Period if you like) I was there at Crystal Day when they did it too. In fact AYNIL might actually be even the Beatles song I hate more than any other. I still have a copy of it on the double gatefold 7" Seven Seas single though :mrgreen:

EDIT: For another thread but that Youtube annoys me too because its the wrong bloody cover, it should be...

R-1879214-1393773640-4823.jpeg.jpg

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Worst song they ever recorded in the run from Crocodiles to Ocean Rain. (The Golden Period if you like) I was there at Crystal Day when they did it too. In fact AYNIL might actually be even the Beatles song I hate more than any other. I still have a copy of it on the double gatefold 7" Seven Seas single though :mrgreen:

EDIT: For another thread but that Youtube annoys me too because its the wrong bloody cover, it should be...

R-1879214-1393773640-4823.jpeg.jpg

I agree on the youtube video. Schoolboy error. 

Here's one, when the weather is like it is now, hot and muggy, I always open as many windows in the flat as possible. Get some air circulating around the place to cool it down.

But my other half is adamant that opening the windows lets the hot air in and in fact makes the flat hotter.

I cannot see how she is right, unless we had air conditioning (which we don't. We have a fan and that's it.)

Who's right?

On 25/06/2020 at 17:42, Seat68 said:

Now I am concerned that Arms of Mary might have passed you people, yeah, you people by. 
Its a fantastic chunk of soft rock. 

I’ve never heard of it. I didn’t even know Karl Pilkington was in a band.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Here's one, when the weather is like it is now, hot and muggy, I always open as many windows in the flat as possible. Get some air circulating around the place to cool it down.

But my other half is adamant that opening the windows lets the hot air in and in fact makes the flat hotter.

I cannot see how she is right, unless we had air conditioning (which we don't. We have a fan and that's it.)

Who's right?

You’ll be getting the benefit of some wind chill with the windows open. Moving air is certainly better than stagnant air. Like a car, better with the windows open on a hot day.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Who's right?

It's probably hot in the kitchen but does it matter if you're in the living room watching the footy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Genie said:

You’ll be getting the benefit of some wind chill with the windows open. Moving air is certainly better than stagnant air. Like a car, better with the windows open on a hot day.

That's my theory. Maybe if you have one window open she'd be right because it doesn't really circulate. 

We came back from a whole day out of the flat the other day and it was sweltering inside. Half an hour with the windows open and it was noticeably cooler

How did I get onto OWL messaging link for Hertfordshire?   I have my own domain, so it's not like someone just fat-fingered a character when signing up with their e-mail address.   I've gone and tried to remove myself but you have to log on to do so and I don't have the password.   On the plus side, if I ever plan a trip to the UK and want to know what's happening in Hertfordshire I'll be well prepared.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Who's right?

Whats the temperature outside and what is the temperature inside. Air flows from warmer to colder

But as others have said the movement of air will have an efect on cooling.

Also the sun will be heating your solid house which will be heating the air inside and with no escape route the  temperature will continue to rise above the external temperature.

Then there's the greenhouse effect

In conclusion: Yer birds mental

• Thanks 1

If you open 1 window on 1 side and one on the other sometimes you get the corridor of wind that blows through. I remember on holiday once our apartment did that, it was lovely.

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

If you open 1 window on 1 side and one on the other sometimes you get the corridor of wind that blows through. I remember on holiday once our apartment did that, it was lovely.

Yeah that's what I try to do. Windows on either side of the lounge. get them all open. Door to the lounge open and windows in the other rooms open to to get it moving through

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

the cultural holocaust that was the 80s.

This shit is driving me nuts now. 

I genuinely lay awake for hours one night recently after someone on here wrote something similar thinking of all the amazing things that happened in the 80s.

In the morning I couldn't be arsed and frankly I can't now but let's just say Live Aid.  How much more of a frigging cultural phenomenon than that do you want? 

I don't know. Maybe The fall off The Berlin Wall?

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I genuinely lay awake for hours one night recently after someone on here wrote something similar thinking of all the amazing things that happened in the 80s.

In the morning I couldn't be arsed and frankly I can't now but let's just say Live Aid.  How much more of a frigging cultural phenomenon than that do you want? 

Stevo985 was born. 'nuff said

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Predator

If it bleeds we can kill it

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Predator

The main one I came back to was 1979, how many homes had a personal computer? Maybe 2%

1989 pretty much every kid in the country had a computer. 

All those speccy kids who actually used them for coding, hours in their bedrooms throughout the 80s.  What effect have they had on the world we live in? 

Just now, sidcow said:

The main one I came back to was 1979, how many homes had a personal computer? Maybe 2%

1989 pretty much every kid in the country had a computer. 

All those speccy kids who actually used them for coding, hours in their bedrooms throughout the 80s.  What effect have they had on the world we live in? 

Sir Clive was da man, ZX81 then the spectrum if I recall? Then some mad one seater electric car

• Like 1

I'm not going to go through it all I'M NOT. But Satellite TV and Sky TV started in the 80's. I mean how has that affected football culture? Not a blind bit basically. Not a jot. 

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Sir Clive was da man, ZX81 then the spectrum if I recall? Then some mad one seater electric car

My friend who has sadly passed away now bought a Sinclair C5. Amstrad turned the spectrum into crap. I must have had about 10  spectrum 128k +2s

• Like 1

The mobile phone.  Has that affected anything? Obviously not. 

MTV? very little impact. A cultural vacuum MTV. 

Microsoft Word/Microsoft Windows? Nada. 

The Simpsons.  I guess a few people think they were mildly interesting. 

Thriller? The A Team? The Breakfast Club? Ferris? KARPOV vs KASPAROV, Borg v McEnroe? Ayrton Senna 1st World Title. 

The rise of Hip Hop.  Black music from The Ghetto becoming mainstream consumption globally for white middle class kids and developing from there into the various forms currently dominating such as Grime. 

League 81, Europe 82???????????????

Must stop.  Promised myself I wouldn't. 

Edited by sidcow

Â