Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

When I listened to London Calling the other day, I was struck by a lyric Joe Strummer sang, in The Clash's song Death or Glory:

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research. He who ***** nuns, will later join the church"

Since then I've done very little, but wonder who carried out the research, and who agreed to fund it?

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

When I listened to London Calling the other day, I was struck by a lyric Joe Strummer sang, in The Clash's song Death or Glory:

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research. He who ***** nuns, will later join the church"

Since then I've done very little, but wonder who carried out the research, and who agreed to fund it?

The Pope. In both cases. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Because they're fascinating big **** cool monsters that actually existed? 

Sincerely,
A big kid obsessed with dinosaurs.

Exactly this.  In my case, Jurassic Park coming out when I was 7 years old helped as well.  It's still my favourite film.

• Like 1

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

Exactly this.  In my case, Jurassic Park coming out when I was 7 years old helped as well.  It's still my favourite film.

I find it very interesting the vast amounts of new knowledge we've accrued on dinosaurs even since the first Jurassic Park came out, including the fact they got velociraptors very wrong (we now know that what's on the screen is closer to a Deinonychus, and much bigger than a raptor).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Dinosaurs and trains are the shizz man.

Don't trust people who don't like dinosaurs and trains.

I bet you love this show LF :D

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I find it very interesting the vast amounts of new knowledge we've accrued on dinosaurs even since the first Jurassic Park came out, including the fact they got velociraptors very wrong (we now know that what's on the screen is closer to a Deinonychus, and much bigger than a raptor).

Wasn't the thing with the raptors initially that they knew they'd got them wrong (at the time the Utahraptor was closer to what they put on screen) but they kept things as is because an accurate velociraptor wasn't imposing enough?

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Wasn't the thing with the raptors initially that they knew they'd got them wrong (at the time the Utahraptor was closer to what they put on screen) but they kept things as is because an accurate velociraptor wasn't imposing enough?

Could be, but I read that at the time of making the movie that's what science believed a raptor to be, and in the subsequent films they just kept them consistent with the first film despite the new knowledge, because otherwise the new raptors would obviously be completely inconsistent with what went before, and would look (even more) ridiculous because of that.

4 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

I think it might have been the Penguin Cafe Orchestra

• Like 2

Don't they now think that dinosaurs probably had feathers?

Which makes Jurassic Park look very inaccurate :D 

But seriously, I was a huge Jurassic Park fan too. I think I was 9 or 10 when that came out.
I remember listening to the radio and they were doing the film chart. Jurassic Park had finally been knocked off the top spot at the box office, and my little 10 year old brain couldn't understand it. I couldn't comprehend that any movie could be "better" than Jurassic Park (I clearly didn't understand how the chart worked either)

Dinosaurs didn't have feathers because they didn't exist, their fossils are man made and planted by the disciples of Lucifer to try and make people question the word of God!

Silly boy 

(I once had this said to me by an actual real person in all seriousness who until that point I thought was fairly normal. Funny and a little worrying)

16 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Dinosaurs didn't have feathers because they didn't exist, their fossils are man made and planted by the disciples of Lucifer to try and make people question the word of God!

Silly boy 

(I once had this said to me by an actual real person in all seriousness who until that point I thought was fairly normal. Funny and a little worrying)

There is a zoo just outside Bristol, from memory it's called Noah's Ark.

I think that's basically part of their philosophy. There are animal exhibits as you'd expect at a zoo, some giraffes and lamas and lemurs and all the usual. Then there are posters on the walls explaining the holes in evolutionary theory and what really happened. Absolutely fascinating place.

We were in one room looking at whatever, and on the wall was a large poster reminding everyone that the correct order of the world was that women served their men in love and obedience. Deviation from this basic fact of life was what was causing much of the trouble in the world.

Pointed it out to my missus. She didn't completely 100% buy in to it.

--

edit: just checked out their web page, it's been a good few years since we'd been there. It all looks a lot more slick now, but the website still has some interesting 'stuff' for anyone looking to lose themselves for an hour. I've used the word 'interesting'. I haven't endorsed anything in there! 

recolonisation theory

• Like 1

I feel very like a very militant atheist all of a sudden. I want that placed closed down, the animals to all be re-homed, the staff to never work with animals again and for it to be made illegal for any kind of centre like that to be doing school trips...or even have an 'education' tab on their website.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I feel very like a very militant atheist all of a sudden. I want that placed closed down, the animals to all be re-homed, the staff to never work with animals again and for it to be made illegal for any kind of centre like that to be doing school trips...or even have an 'education' tab on their website.

all theories are equal

(no, I was quite surprised by the education tabs and school visits stuff - be interesting to see what schools go, and what the educational material is)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I would agree, but it would only lead to outraged bleating about repressing their religious freedom. 

On balance, I'm all for letting this stuff go on, but subjecting it to endless ridicule. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There is a zoo just outside Bristol, from memory it's called Noah's Ark.

I think that's basically part of their philosophy. There are animal exhibits as you'd expect at a zoo, some giraffes and lamas and lemurs and all the usual. Then there are posters on the walls explaining the holes in evolutionary theory and what really happened. Absolutely fascinating place.

We were in one room looking at whatever, and on the wall was a large poster reminding everyone that the correct order of the world was that women served their men in love and obedience. Deviation from this basic fact of life was what was causing much of the trouble in the world.

Pointed it out to my missus. She didn't completely 100% buy in to it.

--

edit: just checked out their web page, it's been a good few years since we'd been there. It all looks a lot more slick now, but the website still has some interesting 'stuff' for anyone looking to lose themselves for an hour. I've used the word 'interesting'. I haven't endorsed anything in there! 

recolonisation theory

But didn't Wales have a whole industry dedicated to digging up fossils and then burning the evidence? :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I would agree, but it would only lead to outraged bleating about repressing their religious freedom. 

On balance, I'm all for letting this stuff go on, but subjecting it to endless ridicule. 

People have the right to believe what they want and I reserve the right to say it's ridiculous.

• Like 2

Â