Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

4 minutes ago, colhint said:

when did groups become bands? When I was growing up every band was called a group. Now you never hear the word. It's just a band now

About 1968, as I recall. 

• Like 1

The Beatles: Were just a band.
Led Zepplin: Just a band.
The Beach Boys: Just a band.
The Sex Pistols: Just a band.
The Clash: Just a band.
Crass: Just a band.
Minor Threat: Just a band.
The Cure: Were just a band.
The Smiths: Just a band.
Nirvana: Just a band.
The Pixies: Just a band.
Oasis: Just a band.
Radiohead: Just a band.
Bloc Party: Just a band.
The Arctic Monkeys: Just a band.
The next big thing... Just a band.
Thou shalt not make repetitive generic music, thou shalt not make repetitive generic music, thou shalt not make repetitive generic music, thou shalt not make repetitive generic music.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, colhint said:

when did groups become bands? When I was growing up every band was called a group. Now you never hear the word. It's just a band now

My theory - the theory that I have, is that group was a new coinage to differentiate between the jazz and big bands of the baby-boomer parents' generation.

Then when the generational division had been established the term band was reintroduced. 

"They don't give a damn about any trumpet playin' band
It ain't what they call rock and roll"

26 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

My theory - the theory that I have, is that group was a new coinage to differentiate between the jazz and big bands of the baby-boomer parents' generation.

Then when the generational division had been established the term band was reintroduced. 

"They don't give a damn about any trumpet playin' band
It ain't what they call rock and roll"

Definitely this. In the early 60s (beat boom era), old folks listened to bands - Acker Bilk and his Paramount Jazz Band, The Billy Cotton Band Show, etc. So young people had 'beat groups'. These tended to be guys in suits, playing three minute pop singles. Come 1966 (blues boom), 1967 (psychedelia), 1968 (progessive), 'rock' replaced 'pop', and the new groovers playing 20 minute extemporised jams, identified themselves more with modern jazz and blues musicians - who, of course, played in... bands. And so it changed. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Definitely this. In the early 60s (beat boom era), old folks listened to bands - random - Acker Bilk and his Paramount Jazz Band, The Billy Cotton Band Show, etc. So young people had 'beat groups'. These tended to be guys in suits, playing three minute pop singles. Come 1966 (blues boom), 1967 (psychedelia), 1968 (progessive), 'rock' replaced 'pop', and the new groovers playing 20 minute extemporised jams, identified themselves more with modern jazz and blues musicians - who, of course, played in... bands. And so it changed. 

The other factor I wondered about was whether a group has fixed personnel and a band may have a leader but the personnel changes?

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The other factor I wondered about was whether a group has fixed personnel and a band may have a leader but the personnel changes?

Nah, overthinking it. 

I'm not superstitious, yet I do find there is something odd and uncomfortable about the number 13.

So has superstition risen from it actually being a strange number or do I find it an awkward number because I've been brought up with the idea that it's unlucky?

(This has come about because I've booked a flight for a Friday 13th and my wife is annoyed with me. She also seems a bit bemused that I would have booked it and that I'm happy for us to fly on that date, like I'm the idiot.)

9 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I'm not superstitious, yet I do find there is something odd and uncomfortable about the number 13.

So has superstition risen from it actually being a strange number or do I find it an awkward number because I've been brought up with the idea that it's unlucky?

(This has come about because I've booked a flight for a Friday 13th and my wife is annoyed with me. She also seems a bit bemused that I would have booked it and that I'm happy for us to fly on that date, like I'm the idiot.)

I don't think airllines have a row 13 due to superstition. But they will happily fly on Friday 13th.

Edited by Xela

13 is supposedly a mystic number.

Some hippy type told me that the Christians picked up on it because there were 13 at the Last Supper.

He also said ER has some sort of garment with 13 gems that makes her chief of witches.

Where's the smiley with the bong?

In China 4, or any number containing a 4,  is considered unlucky. It's not uncommon for hotels to avoid having floors number 4, 14, 24 etc. 

That's why no-one had ever seen a car with Chinese number plates leaving the M4 at Junction 4. 

Fact. 

• Like 1

Â